Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Five Days in Xsyon

Day 1: Just after wipe and my first time in game. I manage to find a good spot and place a homestead totem then begin to practice fishing.

Day 2: Homestead wiped and my place taken. Eventually I find a new spot and keep fishing.

Day 3: Got recruited by a decent tribe and leave my homestead behind, we all fish together.

Day 4: I start having a blast with everything turned on. Tribe starts working together and we all get excited when our first wall goes up. I manage to learn a ton of tool crafting recipes and begin to supply my tribe with the tools we need for crafting. Stayed up till 3am in the morning and loved every moment even with the server drops and rollbacks every 10 minutes.

Day 5 (Launch Day): I Log on long enough to start cursing and quit the game disgusted (Which takes much longer then it should due to substantial lag). Having such a great initial experience only serves to make the loss feel more substantial.

There will not be a day 6 for quite some time. My initial experience with most of the features enabled was more incredible then I could of ever hoped. I look forward to seeing Xsyon or a game much like it functional
    one day but this is not what I expected from launch.

This is a sad, sad truth.... I feel bad for people that haven't really had a chance to "play" the game without these problems.

Well if you loved it up until day 4, you would have pretty much had babies with the game a month ago before the first pre-launch-try.

As long as you realize the game is good when lag-less. A lot of games are still "suck" even without lag.

Quote Originally Posted by orious13 View Post
    Well if you loved it up until day 4, you would have pretty much had babies with the game a month ago before the first pre-launch-try.

As long as you realize the game is good when lag-less. A lot of games are still "suck" even without lag.
    This game has a huge problem with rollbacks. lag, downtime. every new mmo has these. I can be patient and wait for it to get better. but the rollback is a whole different animal. having hours of work wiped on a regular basis is horrible, specially with the random nature of learning new tool recips. I just dont trust xsyon's data integrity right now. never had this feel in any other game of being afraid to log on and find everything i did last time is gone

The most recent large rollback was pretty disheartening, yes. Even that, however, wasn't enough to make me just up and walk away and not have a day 6.

What did, however, was the unplayable restarts and lag that was associated with it. I was tempted to reroll ( I wanted more balanced stat points in the end ), forsaking my GREAT homestead area, and just explore. It would've been nice.

But at the same time, I feel if I do, I'd never get anywhere. I was just wandering around earlier and the "lag" caught up quite suddenly, and I was out of breath. Combat being turned on just made me kind've dread trying to do anything, not for combat itself, but because I would likely die and not know what happened until the lag caught up.

I've been patient, and will continue to be patient. But right now? I need to play some Shogun 2.

Quote Originally Posted by orious13 View Post

This game was so...so amazing prior to the "official wipe". Was, because right now, it's just not the same as it used to be. This game is still GREAT as far as what it is. I just kind've wish there wasn't lag and microrollbacks.

I just log in to check lag really. If it's more than 5 or 10 seconds I log off, so I haven't experienced rollbacks. (That and I've been a bit busy the passed few days.)

Quote Originally Posted by millsdo View Post
    I work in the airline industry and they always say, "Don't be the first to buy a new type of airplane. It'll be a maintenance nightmare." Same is true with most MMORPG's. Fortunately, they are responsive and try to fix problems immediately.
    coolio...
    I just graduated with a BS in Aero.

I think the rollback problem is fixed with the patch about 5 hours ago. He found the the problem with the server not saving progresses. Now, stick with it...it's just a game and they operate on a limited budget and manpower. They are doing a great job. The rollbacks did hurt, but that's the nature of the business in the early going of the game.

I work in the airline industry and they always say, "Don't be the first to buy a new type of airplane. It'll be a maintenance nightmare." Same is true with most MMORPG's. Fortunately, they are responsive and try to fix problems immediately.