Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I agree with the Commissar.

Quote Originally Posted by Surly View Post
    Ten bucks on terraforming.
    I'd bet twice that on it being a crafting issue, possibly having something to do with tools going from inventory to crafting panel and back again.

Yes it is very great to hear the problems that have been problems since day 1 of prelude are still problems not handled on release, I'm happy to hear someone is thinking about doing something about it... less words more fixes.

P.S.
    I'll take your bet, I dont think it's crafting or terraforming.

I actually tracked down the lag myself. Turns out, the game doesn't lag unless I'm logged in. I was in game, it was lagging.. logged out, fixed the problem. Logged back in... LAG. This is a working hypothesis here, but so far all tests have proven positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Deksam View Post
    I actually tracked down the lag myself. Turns out, the game doesn't lag unless I'm logged in. I was in game, it was lagging.. logged out, fixed the problem. Logged back in... LAG. This is a working hypothesis here, but so far all tests have proven positive.
    Ditto, I think you nailed it. This matches my experience 100%

+1 they need to hire you on board as a dev, nice work.

Does anyone know how many servers they use? My thoughts are, one server handles all of, or at least the bulk of the landscape. Think about it. We're all sharing the same landscape on the same server, making changes to it at the same time. Gathering scrap from junk changes the landscape, along with chopping trees, pulling grass and digging ditches.

You start adding the variation in people's latency and you have a cluster**** of data being forced through on top of and crossing over itself along the way... bending space and time along the way.

haha

<3 Deks

Quote Originally Posted by Phazaar View Post
    What was said was that it's specific actions that necessitate a backup ending up bottle-necking the data the more they're queued. The fix will not be to slow terraforming/whatever else down 10 fold (or at least, shouldn't be). The checks they're putting in place are to allow them to monitor specifically what is happening at the bottleneck(s) and find a solution in the code. Let's hope it doesn't take much longer, eh?
    Sounds like a database update issue to me. Database updates generally are some of the most expensive processes that can run.

Since commits to a database lock and block, the update queue to commit can get huge if certain "actions" require a lot of time proportionally, which in turns starts eating up server resources and slowing down reads. Eventually the server cache is waiting much longer to grab clean data from the database.

This could explain why rollbacks happen automatically when the server is reboot, and why latency can increase and decrease sporadically. It also has almost nothing to do with the number of servers or the bandwidth, and is more about tuning individual actions that require database updates.

NOTE: It's also complete garbage since I have no concept of how this game is programmed. But, admittedly, it is fun to guess. Regardless of what the real issue is, sounds like they are working hard, and I hope they are able to find and fix it soon.

You may not have a concept on its programming, but adding debug routines in an all ready buggy and lagging to death code, WHILE in launch phase and paying customers is priceless