Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I vote to make all actions much more interactive to prevent macroing. For example, fishing is EXTREMELY easy to level up in one night with macros. Maybe when you get a fish to bite, you have to do some kind of interactive action to pull it in.

I agree to the kicking of AFK players and macroers.

Sure, kick those AFK'ers, macroers .. w/e - You wont solve the lag problem by doing that. System resources are not an issue, it's database issues and poorly coding thats the main problem..

Xsyon Citizen
    Heard a fascinating discussion in IRC about how it was macro'ers killing the server because of all those "game files" they alter! lol

How much of the lag is caused by the incredible attention to detail that niche MMO games like this always try to add that are actually an annoyance? Like everyone having to drink 10 times to get full? Or even the fact that there are 3 (and in the future, 5) gauges constantly running down that the client has to keep track of? Theres gotta be other repetitive actions that add to that too

I appreciate having to eat and drink in a game, it does add immersion. Fatigue bars aren't even new. But We're going to have comfort and more someday, and additional actions. Some people even want to make you have to take bathroom breaks!

Don't run the website and a sand box
    MultimSsive online on the same box.....the same shitty box

Quote Originally Posted by MastaKane View Post
    I'm sorry to admit this to you look at the history of sandbox games with skill gains like those of Xsyon. Ultima Online and Darkfall are huge examples. Whenever you have a game with freedom like this some asshole will come along and macro it up and there is nothing an independent developer like this will be able to do about it.

Just being realistic, wish it wasn't this way.
    Not true. Take fishing for example. Other games have made this macro-proof by making it slightly more interactive and variable. It's not rocket science. What gets macroed are key combinations that are repetitive and non-interactive. Pressing keys for the sake of pressing keys doesn't make a game fun.

Wasting time trying to detect macroing and kicking paying customers is a bad idea. Every dollar counts in an indy game. Making changes to the game to make it harder or less beneficial to macro is a better way to minimize it. You will never stop it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
    Heard a fascinating discussion in IRC about how it was macro'ers killing the server because of all those "game files" they alter! lol
    This is a whole other subject. I would venture to say more than half the people who play any game don't even know what a macro is in the first place, and even fewer would figure out how to script a decent one correctly. They imagine it like some kind of bot that is playing the game for people at high speed or something. Truth is, it has no more impact on the server than a regular player.

macro witchhunt was annoying in DFO too

This game already gives limitted returns on macro'ing. You might get a headstart by macro'ing but you aren't going to gain a game breaking or even fight-winning advantage from it.

I'm sticking to my original answer to this thread, fixing the code that causes the lag is better than adding junk or splitting servers.