Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    i think you should only be able to chat with the zone your in period. i shouldnt be in 896 hearing 937's convo or 857's convo.

Suggestion: Keep Local Chat as is for people in the area who want to, err... chat. People do like to have a general chat channel for asking for socializing, b.s.ing, asking for help, etc.

But add another channel for communicating with people close to you. Toons you can see and are interacting with. Covers 50 - 100 meter radius, something like that. So when you run into somebody at the junk pile, but don't know his name, you say something to him-- without 5 zones hearing and wondering WTH you're talking about in local chat. Also, groups of people standing near each other can talk as a group. It's a pain to be in, say somebody's trading camp, and instead of everybody there being able to talk, they have to individually to whisper to each other, one individual at a time.

Area radius chat would be easily done. Battleground Europe has it (Enter key = 10 meter zone, F1 key = this whole zone, F3 = you guild, etc.), Jumpgate Classic also had it way back when.

I agree with you Andius, I don't mind when ppl are having conversations, but there is are a bunch of ppl who just put every thought in there head into general chat and or ppl who whisper one side of the conversation and the other chats it out, or same could be said for tribe chat, that is why we have the /w and /t functions. We have discussions in our general chat all the time, but if someone just starts randomly talking for no purpose other than to say "hey I caught a fish" everytime they do is fucking annoying as hell. Interalize those thoughts not everything needs to be said, and if someone whispers you whisper them back. And if you're talking guild business do in guild chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Andius View Post
    Here is the fact. People want to use chat for different things. There is no reason they shouldn't be able to. I really like the current chat, its small enough to keep track of but large enough there are plenty of people to talk to. But I've had people gripe at me for "using the local chat like a chat room."

I'm sorry, but yes thats exactly what I use it like because in my opinion that is what local chat is for. Chatting with people in your local area about anything and everything.

Other people, especially people in large tribes, are not interested in chatting like this and prefer local chat merely for trade or advise. That is perfectly legitimate but I pay for this game too, and I'm going to use local chat how I want to use it. I'm not going to be all hush, hush because someone wants to use local chat for trade, and my chatter is filling up their window while they try to read tribe chat.

So the point is I think a lot of people who hated global, who now hate the size of local chat hate it because of how much chatter there is, and they merely want to see a particular part of that chat like trade or advise. Thats why there needs to be a general chat for people who just want to talk. An advice chat, for people looking for information about the game, and a trade chat for trade related chat. I'll personally run all three, but it gives people the option to turn off what they don't want to hear. Sure people abuse channels sometimes. But I respect them, and so do a lot of other people, so it will at least cut down on it.

If it ends up being though, that we are restricted to zone, and I don't have anyone to talk too. I probably will drop sub. I play MMO's to socialize, not build a little fort and never talk to anyone. I would buy Minecraft if that is what I wanted to do.

Or /t team chat. The players who are in your team.
    /ta [name] - team add . add player to team chat.
    /td [name] - delete player from team chat.
    /f - friends chat. the players in your friend list.
    /tp - print team list.
    /tw - add a player to team chat, the last one who is whisperd to u.
    /r - reply to the last player who is whispered to u. Instead of typing the long names.

This would be great functions.
    also, player names should be different than the text.

There have to be multiple windows, or streams, to see different chat windows, for local, for tribe, etc...

simple commands for now would do it, like:
    /wl - window local chat only
    /wg - window for global chat only
    /wt - tribe chat only
    /wa - all chat streams in a single window

/signed

Would like a regular /say and /shout.. Also I think it could be cool if /say would be displayed on screen above your head instead of (or in addition to) the chatbox. That would maker i cooler to sit around the campfire and talk, and it would be easier to challenge other players. Making sure they "hear" you.

/signed hard

My area's chat is a toilet chock full to the brim with tribal recruitment spiel, inane banter and shit talk. 90% of inhabitants are on ignore. I doubt I'll be arsed to unignore any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chavoda View Post
    The main thing to keep in mind is to balance between all play styles, some ppl like this, others like that and other don't give a damn...

I say :
    /Say - 30meters max
    /Yell - Own zone only.
    /Zone - as its now (the 9 zone , 1 wide/height) but whit a disable and enable feature.

This should charter to all forms of play style.

/Whisper is a bit of a headache , do we wish to keep it "realistic" and very very close range. or do we want to keep it the way its now.

Considering its hardly game breaking if at all, and personal one to one messages i see no problems keeping it as it is.

the /Guild chat that does not do anything right now could be used as a inter tribe alliance chat.

and /Tribe stays tribe chat only .
    My thoughts exactly; perfect!