Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lag cycle reporting for 17 Mar.

Logged in at 7am CST. Very brief (1 minute or less), small lag spikes (~300ms max) occurred every 30 minutes at approx 7:25, 7:55, 8:25, 8:55.

As of 9:15-9:19 a more persistent lag spike occurred, with delays hopping around and maximums in the 1k+ range.

9:21 spoke too soon, the heavier lag is ongoing.
    9:35 back to 35 ping - steady
    10:00 Server down for a patch. ETA 15-20 minutes
    12 noon CST. Lag is acceptable at brief moments of 1-2 seconds delay
    2:40 pm. 9-12 second delay on actions. 15 sec chat delay
    3:00 lag has progressively worsened to 30-40 second delay on actions and chat.
    3:20 Server shutting down for patch. ETA 15-20 minutes

I've learned recently that ping doesn't really matter much anymore because I've had like 900ms and had no lag. I believe it's more of an average of your ping over a few seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Xidian View Post
    I've learned recently that ping doesn't really matter much anymore because I've had like 900ms and had no lag. I believe it's more of an average of your ping over a few seconds.
    I would have to agree, I've seen my ping bouncing from 300-900 and experienced no delays in actually performing actions. Lag is better measured by the amount of time taken after queueing and action to it actually happening.

Ping does not matter because the lag is not caused by the network. Chances are the networking is run on a separate thread, and can be handled in almost an instant once it's traveled there, but then it gets queued up waiting for the "game" thread to read it. But it can't, because it's busy doing something else. So then we wait and our actions get queued up. Eventually enough people log off or stop doing many actions and the server will become steady again, only to have more actions be thrown at it.

That is simply my best (very educated) guess.

also most of the time your ping to any given server will bounce from 50-1k it just depends on how the meter is set, which is why windows ping averages 3 different pings for each node.

I will say though, I do know when lag is happening due to the way my ping is presented. When I have no lag, I get clean and clear 47ms ping. As steady as... a ... pickle on valentines day... (really stretching it there)

When I log in and see my ping bouncing around I know I'll be experiencing lag, just how much, its never clear. Sometimes it can be 2 - 5 second lag. Othertimes it can be upwards of 1 minute lag.

Usually if its 2-5 seconds I consider it a good day and enjoy my play time as best I can. If its 30 seconds or longer I put on a dress and cry in the corner.

Ok this is breaking the first rule of lag club (wish I could remember who said this in game to give them credit - made me laugh hard) but since the update this morning lag is much improved. In the last hour I had only 1 spike (as in a couple of minutes of lag), a few instances of jerky movement, and no chat lag that I noticed. Much improved over yesterday at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvie View Post
    Ok this is breaking the first rule of lag club (wish I could remember who said this in game to give them credit - made me laugh hard) but since the update this morning lag is much improved. In the last hour I had only 1 spike (as in a couple of minutes of lag), a few instances of jerky movement, and no chat lag that I noticed. Much improved over yesterday at this time.

Oh, so you think that makes you better than me? Yoo not bettah den mee!

No but really, thats great to hear folks. Keep us updated with that one. This is the U.S. worky time right now, so we'll see how things go down when I try to get on around 5:30 CST

Quote Originally Posted by Delvie View Post
    I don't know how you're doing so well. I can't move. Can't eat. Can't drink. Can't open a basket, and relogging isn't helping. It was fine until about 10 EST, and now it gets worse and worse.

unplayable atm 7or 8 sec lag