Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    What is funny is I really doubt much impact has been had by what I've done and I'm not sure how many other have been going around destroying stumps like me. I've already seen trees go back and really I've probably only destroyed about 50 trees.

I even fought some guys after destroying some trees, killed the first and died to the second. The only thing that did suck was the lag made it a roll of the dice but I was happy for my ride home.

Whoever said that once consequences are in for PK you will see things like this stop, that's silly. I WANT CONSEQUENCES! Lack of consequences is why I hate playing WoW, I wish I could kill my own faction all the time for being idiots or for being a loot ninja.

Also, if someone who sees me cutting down trees tries to reason with me ala offer me something, I'd probably accept.

I may be taking some of your resources but what if you took the spot I wanted my totem at? You have now just ruined my gameplay experience without any PvP. PvP and PvE players do need each other. I used to be not into PvP until I got that first rush of running away from a kill then learning how to fight back years ago. I really hope the bag permissions get fixed soon, going out and bashing trees without risk doesn't give me that rush I want.

Maybe I'll stop the tree bashing unless I see someone near a camp or until bag permissions are set. This way you have some recourse against my actions. I agree with Soulwanderer who said it would be nice to have a minimap to show enemies encroaching on something like 3x your tribe radius. I want people to find me, usually I thought the giant trees falling would bring them outta the safe zone.

Have to say I really wonder about you VD guys, if you are trying to RP being dicks in the game you sure do a good job at it. But sometimes when you write posts I believe you know absolutely nothing about RP.

Quote Originally Posted by Chile View Post
    I think things in tribal areas should be safe including stumps until of course they lift the safe zones and sieges are allowed.

On the other hand, if you go off your tribal land and say, cut down a tree for logs those logs are now open for anyone to do anything with. I don't think that "safe" should be extended for an example, that if you cut down a tree outside your safe zone only you or your tribe can access those logs, this doesn't happen in real life. This includes taking said logs or destroying said logs. This also teaches a lesson that, if you harvest outside your tribal safe zone one needs to move those resources inside your tribe borders ASAP.

It is just like PvP. You are safe in your tribal area, you are not safe outside. The same goes for resources. We all learned this in beta over the last year. (If you weren't in early beta, you are learning this now)

Remember, this is an open sandbox game and there are many was for one to play it, to include brigands, peaceful tribes, solo play (to an extent), warring tribes... hence the good, neutral and evil standings.

In saying this I am sure the devs are trying to make this world as real as possible to include usage of the resources like, trees, animals, junk piles etc., real and functional as possible. What happens in the real world when all the animals are killed off? Now I understand some balance to a point here, but this isn't a a controlled theme park MMO.

I am sure what is coming next is that people will complain that the junk piles are gone in their area, the tribe next to them is to large and has to many people to collect resources, there's not enough fish, the animals can't re-spawn/grow fast enough, distance to travel to gather stuff is to far, why isn't there a Walmart... it will happen. I haven't even started on the griefing and PvP aspects.

This is not a caring and sharing game. It's a post apocalyptic open sandbox MMO with basic rules and guidelines to include taking or destroying of resources, making enemies or allies, etc.. These resources are a precious commodity so use them wisely. Look at our real world around us. It you are expecting to go camping, build your fire, set up some tents, sing kumbaya and not be bothered... this is the wrong game for you.
    agree +1 , seriously people complained about sand not being next to them, and now there are complaining about trees.. go on a logging expedition and make it like a fun tribe event.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyI View Post
    You're probably right and I have since calmed down and can see the funny side of it now. I was very angry at the time for several reasons

1.) I couldn't do anything about it and had to ask a neighbouring tribe to help (axe was in a bin I could not open as the tree prevented it)
    2.) I'd only just thrown (seconds earlier) away 30 axes I'd crafted to level (adding insult to injury)
    3.) Some people are not content with full loot PVP that they have to go around being annoying too.

But tbf it's not just this incident and maybe I'm just getting cantankerous in my old age but I just don't find the rudeness and obnoxious behaviour of some people very funny. I don't understand the mentality especially as many are adults not children. But it's not an 'I'm quiting because they wont play the way I want' deal because no game means that much to me, I'm quiting because I'm just no longer tolerant of the attitudes that seem quite prevalent these days where it seems to be acceptable to be a complete and utter ****. One poor guy took a torrent of abuse just before launch from some homophobic idiot witnessed by a lot of people online at the time. It's just not necessary in a game. Yes I guess I'm becomming a Victor Meldrew.
    I agree with you 100% Andy, this is probably my last MMO when I decide to call it quits, the attitude of adult and child alike is appalling. There is a serious lack of morals (or even more preciously common-sense) on this planet and I aint talking any of that religious crap either.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyI View Post
    You're probably right and I have since calmed down and can see the funny side of it now. I was very angry at the time for several reasons

1.) I couldn't do anything about it and had to ask a neighbouring tribe to help (axe was in a bin I could not open as the tree prevented it)
    2.) I'd only just thrown (seconds earlier) away 30 axes I'd crafted to level (adding insult to injury)
    3.) Some people are not content with full loot PVP that they have to go around being annoying too.

But tbf it's not just this incident and maybe I'm just getting cantankerous in my old age but I just don't find the rudeness and obnoxious behaviour of some people very funny. I don't understand the mentality especially as many are adults not children. But it's not an 'I'm quiting because they wont play the way I want' deal because no game means that much to me, I'm quiting because I'm just no longer tolerant of the attitudes that seem quite prevalent these days where it seems to be acceptable to be a complete and utter ****. One poor guy took a torrent of abuse just before launch from some homophobic idiot witnessed by a lot of people online at the time. It's just not necessary in a game. Yes I guess I'm becomming a Victor Meldrew.

I agree with you. There's no need for anyone, child or adult, to act the way that some people do in this, or any, game. This is an unfortunate product of all humanity. MMO's are not the only place you are going to find people who, in all reality, find joy in ruining other peoples experiences. Anything that involves interaction with another person, there will eventually be a time you find those people who will grief, harass, taunt, demean, and otherwise do everything in their power to ruin your day.

From Call of Duty to Battlefield to World of Warcraft to Xsyon to Minecraft to Forza and beyond. This extends to any game where other people get involved.

I don't know why people suddenly get some internet bravado and think it's okay to be a complete and utter dick to anyone and everyone. Maybe it's the fact that they can't get punched through a screen. Maybe they feel their secure due to anonymity. I really don't know.

I do have my suspicions as to why people, even adults, are like that. But I won't voice them on the open forum. In any case, it's not something to quit over -- just don't let those people get to you. Ignore / mute them and move on, play with people you enjoy playing with.

I still think the fix for eco-terrorism is implementing Agriculture, though. A good fix for it -- can just regrow the tree's.

Sometimes I worry about how so many people on this forum want rules to limit the emergent part of this game. Then I just go play Eve and wonder why no other company has gotten that game's balance right.

The tree/lumbing mechanic is fine, you need to defend your land even if its not in your tribe area. if some tribe went and cut down your trees then go kill them. i dont mean to sound so negative but its not a playground this is the end of the world starting over its not going to be some nice and friendly land you go and RP that your digging in the trash and people leave you alone. had this really happen it wouldn't be like that either they would have set the forest on fire and the same thing with your camp.

Quote Originally Posted by xyberviri View Post
    The tree/lumbing mechanic is fine, you need to defend your land even if its not in your tribe area. if some tribe went and cut down your trees then go kill them. i dont mean to sound so negative but its not a playground this is the end of the world starting over its not going to be some nice and friendly land you go and RP that your digging in the trash and people leave you alone. had this really happen it wouldn't be like that either they would have set the forest on fire and the same thing with your camp.
    If someone cut down your trees in the middle of the night; how would you exactly find out who they are and exact your revenge... Now if they were camped outside your tribes PK'ing and slowly leveling your forest then that would be another story.

Quote Originally Posted by xyberviri View Post
    The tree/lumbing mechanic is fine, you need to defend your land even if its not in your tribe area. if some tribe went and cut down your trees then go kill them.
    I see a lot of arguments being made here that fly in the face of everything we've learned about these games over the past decade. In this scenario, you are suggesting a 24/7 watch which is wholly unrealistic. You're basically defending and advocating the 3AM Zerg - something both players and developers have unanimously agreed is an undesirable scenario.

Those who do not know history are fated to repeat it. Mythic, Origins and CCP learned a ton of this stuff years ago. It's probably worth it to learn from their mistakes and from what they got right, no?

Quote Originally Posted by maelwydd View Post
    Have to say I really wonder about you VD guys, if you are trying to RP being dicks in the game you sure do a good job at it. But sometimes when you write posts I believe you know absolutely nothing about RP.
    maelwydd,

The time of apocalypse is at hand. Humanity has been wiped from the earth, except for a small handful of folks alive in the world of xsyon. A group is formed of old friends who decide to band together to see if they can rebuild what they have all lost, planting their totem in a remote part of the world.

Soon, across the river a hundred campfires are burning, with all manner of rabble. They come sniffing around the tribe's campsite, digging through the trash, and felling the trees. Diplomatic parties are sent out to reason with these folks - "there is not enough trash and resources for you here, we ask that you find a place which is not so close to our small town here. With almost 20 souls to feed and clothe, we will need all the meager bounty from the surrounding areas to survive the coming winter."

The homesteaders refused to move, and continued harvesting trees and stealing resources, driving the animals over the mountains and into the deadly green mist. Finally, a war party was formed - "we will starve if we don't remove these interlopers!", however when the war party reached the first homesteaders camp site, which was stocked with booty, some unknown force prevented the tribe from being able to use force, and in fact, they were slaughtered to the man.

A tribal council was convened. "If we don't remove these interlopers, we will not be able to survive." Hefe took it upon himself, "If I deprive them of their close-by lumber to build protective walls, they will need to venture out to harvest lumber, and we will be able to take our revenge." And so Hefe stole out into the night and destroyed tree after tree within sight of any of the camps. He clear cut until his palms bled from the blisters popping on his hands, and yet he continued until not a single tree could be seen across the hillside.