Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Destroying Resources a Legitimate Tactic?

At the risk of exposing myself to derision, I was told the devs read this part of the site, so I figured I'd post it here in the hopes they'll see it. Apologies if it is out of place, I'll post it under the other section meant for specific dev questions if necessary.

So, I log in to find that the area around my tribe's totem has been reduced to a wasteland. All of the trees destroyed, logs destroyed, and stumps destroyed. Based on after action accounts, no attempt to harvest these supplies was made as it was intended as a form of non-direct pvp.

While I didn't expect the game to hold my hand here, seeing as there is nothing we can do about it post-event seems to indicate a significant break in the system.

My main question to the devs is: "Are such slash-and-burn tactics considered viable?"

And, if so, are there any systems in place planned to help mitigate the unmitigated dickery of the tactic?

The problems is that there are literally no cons to doing it, which means that people WILL do it if for no other reason than "teh lulz", meanwhile we suffer and there is no way for us to stop it.

Setting aside the "well, if this were really a post-apocalyptic setting people wouldn't be nice" argument (which is false, because if this were real life nobody could destroy resources that fast and permanent death is either a sufficient deterrent or a permanent solution to the problem), we need something.

While I advocate the ability to replant ourselves, that still faces the problem of forcing "peaceful" players to work hard for resources that take nothing to destroy. And, in fact, harvesting those resources is a significant pain in the ass while destroying them is far, far easier.

I generally don't like to point out a problem unless I have a solution, but in this case I'm not very adept at making balanced game systems.

In which case perhaps the community has some ideas that would allow PvP without leaving non-aggressive players ripe for the abuse which will happen if no checks are in play.

Thanks.

I think the best solution might be a simple one.

Make it so players can't destroy a stump unless its on your land (or tribe's land). So it'll still allow some for some form of "dickory" but after awhile it'll just be too much of a pain in the ass to keep chopping down a tree every respawn cycle for most people.

I agree with wolfmoon, that this would be a good solution.

Either that, or make trees regrow even without the stump.

Yes, I do think it's a viable tactic. No, I do not think that trees should be able to be cut down so quickly.

I agree with Wolfmoonstrike also - we set up next to a forest deliberately so we would have a wood resource close by. we now have no wood at all anywhere near to our camp due to the spitefulness of other people and the fact that they removed an entire forest overnight. We now need the ability to re-grow said trees or make it so that this cannot continue happen in the future to other tribes.

Definitely think it needs to be made a lot harder for 1 person to destroy such a large area as they can now. No reason to stop the ability to do it all together imo, but it should be a considerable task to totally destroy everything, giving people an ample chance to try and stop them.

Quote Originally Posted by Daeish View Post
    I agree with wolfmoon, that this would be a good solution.

Either that, or make trees regrow even without the stump.

This. I didn't even know trees regrew from stumps until just now. I was destroying every stump I saw just because I found them an eyesore. Trees should regrow without stumps unless they are within a homestead/tribe. Also there should be a skill allowing the planting of trees.

Yesterday morning, there was a whole, nice forest growing near VD's camp.

As you looked around this morning, it seemed that every single tree, log, or stump from the edge of the VD camp outward to halfway up the surrounding mountains had been clearcut. Place looks kinda bare now.

Imagine that. Musta been...oh...I dunno...80 trees total or so. Golly.

Irreplaceable? An ecological disaster? Time will tell.

Thinking Alien death ray from space, myself.

Xsyon Citizen
    I applaud you for stepping up to do what needed to be done.

And anyway, trees make my FPS even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by madea View Post
    ... I generally don't like to point out a problem unless I have a solution, but in this case I'm not very adept at making balanced game systems.

In which case perhaps the community has some ideas that would allow PvP without leaving non-aggressive players ripe for the abuse which will happen if no checks are in play. ...
    Of course posters are right when they write that trees shouldn't be so easy to destroy. However, if it would be more difficult and would take longer, people would still do it. Just because they can.

In the long run you have no other option than to relocate to a nicer neighbourhood. Even then, the same might happen again and you might have to relocate again. It's the nature of the beast.

The devs made this game with FFA PvP mechanic, thus FFA PvP-er came to play the game. Thus the trees will go down.