Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trees - What's known and what's rumours?

So last night we managed to corner a guide into answering when trees would regrown the answers we were given were.

1. Trees will regrow during the 'spring' cycle which will be in under two weeks time (we're currently in 'winter' and the seasons last 2 weeks).

[This also means that a full growth cycle on trees is 2 months long]

2. During this time trees will regrow from their stumps.

3. The guide said if you want trees to regrow don't cut out the stumps.

4. The guide said they WEREN'T SURE if trees whose stumps were removed would regrow at all (either in their original place or another location)

Now granted this is a guide saying this, and to be hoenst I'm not sure a guide knows anymore than we do.

WHAT WE DO KNOW FOR SURE:

That trees that were cut down and their stumps remain still haven't grown back after 1 week.

Trees whose stumps have been removed certainly haven't grown back.

if when stumps are removed thats 1 tree gone out of the world then it wont be long before there are no trees to grow back. So no wood for anything.

well there is system in place but not sure if devs implemented it if you destroy tree and stump it dont grow back but once that happens another tree appears in the world no matter what as long as area is not terraformed the tree that was destroyed will appear somwhere in the world...

but not sure if this has been turned on...

Personally I'm starting to think that if a tree's stump is removed it shouldn't grow back at all. It's going to be funny when people start making tribes called "Save the trees foundation" lol.

I had read somewhere that a stump would prevent a new tree from growing in that spot. I also suspect (but have nothing to back it up) that tree respawn cycle my be based off of to the same timer as decay. If that's the case, then trees wont regrow until decay is turned on. But again that is pure speculation on my part.

I thought I already saw trees where there were only stumps

It would be nice to get an answer to this question seeing as Plague Black took it upon himself to completely de-forst an entire area.

The just need to add gardening and you can plant your trees when you need to and where you want to. Doesn't seem TOO difficult imo. Player creates an entity that tells the map a tree is there and then performs the current growth process (with or without a stump at the beginning lol). They just need a growth animation.

Quote Originally Posted by orious13 View Post
    The just need to add gardening and you can plant your trees when you need to and where you want to. Doesn't seem TOO difficult imo. Player creates an entity that tells the map a tree is there and then performs the current growth process (with or without a stump at the beginning lol). They just need a growth animation.
    Yes this is true... I made a level mod before in A7 engine when I was teaching my self cs cript and c++.. I wanted to attempt something different than what Ive never actually seen before... I was amazed when I made trees cuttable leave a base stump and regrow over time.. The code wasnt too hard to do, but somewhat mind boggling since Im self taught..

This is why I have faith in Xsyon... I see them doing things that Ive thought of before, and wished other game developers would do that dont do... Which is why I started teaching myself as a hobby to game design independently... Unfortunately Ill prob never run my own server mmo since its really expensive, but its fun learning!!!

Forestry, fences and gates. Anyone who has ever played Wurm knows ALL about these things. Xsyon just needs to get these things in game.

Ya know, an authoritative person designated to answer these forum questions and create and maintain FAQs would be just mah-velous!