Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Character Size

Quote Originally Posted by Andro Bourne View Post
    Ah didnt mean to hurt your feelings... it's ok it's just a game.

Thats cool and all if headshots in the game actually proved some advantage like more damage specially when not wearing a head guard... you dont seem to understand a head is smaller then the chest... atleast for most people...

The current system at hand you can't even call pvp aiming does nothing since the glitchness of animations cause it to not hit where you aimed or simply just go through the person.

Animation wise Darkfall did a good job, that actually requires aiming and skill to use something not just press c and run in circle hoping to hit something through the glitches.

But thats off topic if you want to troll it up in another thread be my guest.

P.S.
    I'm talking about adding reasons for us to use skill in a balanced environment not just roll shortest possible, run circles while pressing "I win button" which is right click...
    No...I just need this damn jar opened!

Quote Originally Posted by Phazaar View Post
    A number of things.

There is currently NO difference, INCLUDING hit boxes, between heights. Tested, and confirmed by the J-ster.

Far more things than height contribute to speed/stamina/fortitude/strength. Taking the speed thing being debated at the moment, stride distance is actually FAR more dependent on strength than leg length, so roll on another advange for the 90/90/90 crews.

Since we've already played the sex card, how's about the colour card? I'm not gonna be the person to spell that out, but seriously, move on. You're whining about a perceived difference that doesn't exist, in a combat system that does not need balancing, but removing.

Given the fluff about every character being a 'hero' (tougher and better than a regular person) when rolled, but possessing no skills, the idea of gimping all short people and pimping all tall people is just unrealistic. There are ridiculously tough short people (see: Martial Arts movies) and there are ridiculously nerdy tall people (see: Big Bang Theory); this stuff should be determined primarily by stats, NOT cosmetic choices.

Finally, you have to realise this whole discussion comes from everyones inherent concern of not being the weakest fish in the pond by a mechanic introduced AFTER character creation. Shorties are scared they'll be gimped because of public opinion, and tallies are concerned that they won't. In the same way, shorties are scared 'tall' will be 'all' when it comes to functioning in combat or even in reality (talk of carrying capacity etc) and tallies are scared they'll forever be under siege by dwarf armies. What the devs SHOULD do here is either refuse to implement SERIOUS implications for being either height, or allow us height alterations whenever the new combat system comes in.

I rolled short because I wanted to be different and assumed in a world of 'heroes' that everyone would be 6' 6'' and aryan. I quite like the underdog persona, scrapping, sneaking and running; I'm not one for the big brutish armoured character. This was PURELY a looks based decision however, as all the research I did before rolling said there is -no- difference. If and when any change is made, it's simply unacceptable to say 'Oh, sorry that you put 150 points into axes, did you not hear that short people can't use axes? What's that? Dwarves? Dwarves were never real. STFU.'
    Sorry, but you're incorrect...the Devs have even stated the hit boxes are different....I'll take their word over your "testing" theory.

So dont come crying here then if your toon doesnt perform as you feel it shoulld when the Devs do add the differences for heights, as they've also stated they will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Sorry, but you're incorrect...the Devs have even stated the hit boxes are different....I'll take their word over your "testing" theory.

So dont come crying here then if your toon doesnt perform as you feel it shoulld when the Devs do add the differences for heights, as they've also stated they will do.
    Every statement I've seen from the devs says the differences are not yet implemented; I will be happy to step down to your point of view if presented with evidence to the contrary. Ultimately it matters very little when even the slightest bit of combat immediately becomes a teleport-fest.

If you read my whole post with your best thinking cap on, and perhaps read the thread through too, you'd know I was referring to the suggestions that 'small people shouldn't be allowed to do X, Y and Z.' I'm happy for them to be different, as they should, but there certainly should not be character-breaking changes, exclusions or exclusive inclusions. Once again I bring you to the fact we're all supposed to be heroes, thus we're all supposed to be exceptions to the rule. Having 90 points in strength is having 90 points in strength. I am a strong, short character. I am not 'strong for a short character', as that defeats the conceptual hero mechanic.

What idiot keeps suggesting that height and strength have any correlation? They should be banned because even with access to the internet they are still critically stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontaze_Mebro View Post
    What idiot keeps suggesting that height and strength have any correlation? They should be banned because even with access to the internet they are still critically stupid.
    QFT.tbqfh.10.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    This.

I'm even willing to make a youtube video of simple tests showing that the hitboxes are different but I have a feeling you're all big boys and can test it out in game for yourself.

Smaller char = smaller hitboxes or not as many hitboxes either way that statement is wrong, go try it out in game.

Added after 8 minutes:

Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    Headshot?!? Wrong game, Counter Strike is thadaway>>>>

You rolled short so you can dominate ey? And now you need to be vocal to protect your position? Tough luck. In real life short people have short legs and can not compete in the olympics. In fact tall people are best sprinters and short people tend to not compete at all in sprinting. So leave your counter strike real life argumenst out of this discussion and go running around naked while ganking people who gather grass. That is until combat system overhaul which must come. Then whine how you got nerfed badly and leave the game.

8ft tall fatties? How is that different to 3ft tall naked midget with an axe 3 times the size of his body? I sense a short char here.
    Oh yea because adding realism from anything it should be from counter-strike, wtf is wrong with people, last I checked in real life when you fell on your fucking head it hurt more then landing on your feet or landing flat on the ground.

All I'm saying is you want to roll shortest possible and be harder to hit fine, just balance it out so they have drawback or for fuck sakes just make everyone the same size and get this over with I dont care but like you even stated

"In real life short people have short legs and can not compete in the olympics"

Yea well guess what as of now there is no drawbacks to rolling small and you only gain pvp advantages.

In this world short people can do the olympics...

Quote Originally Posted by Phazaar View Post
    Every statement I've seen from the devs says the differences are not yet implemented; I will be happy to step down to your point of view if presented with evidence to the contrary. Ultimately it matters very little when even the slightest bit of combat immediately becomes a teleport-fest.

If you read my whole post with your best thinking cap on, and perhaps read the thread through too, you'd know I was referring to the suggestions that 'small people shouldn't be allowed to do X, Y and Z.' I'm happy for them to be different, as they should, but there certainly should not be character-breaking changes, exclusions or exclusive inclusions. Once again I bring you to the fact we're all supposed to be heroes, thus we're all supposed to be exceptions to the rule. Having 90 points in strength is having 90 points in strength. I am a strong, short character. I am not 'strong for a short character', as that defeats the conceptual hero mechanic.
    Not to push more trouble here with your ideas but... what did you do exactly to test this all out? where are is evidence? have you ever just sat on a flat area aimming straight ahead, able to hit a normal sized char then have someone short stand in the exact same spot while aiming in the same location and see what happens?

95% of the time you swing right over their head hitting nothing but air... so if your statement was correct that would be impossible... can you please link your evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Andro Bourne View Post
    This.

I'm even willing to make a youtube video of simple tests showing that the hitboxes are different but I have a feeling you're all big boys and can test it out in game for yourself.

Smaller char = smaller hitboxes or not as many hitboxes either way that statement is wrong, go try it out in game.

Added after 8 minutes:

Oh yea because adding realism from anything it should be from counter-strike, wtf is wrong with people, last I checked in real life when you fell on your fucking head it hurt more then landing on your feet or landing flat on the ground.

All I'm saying is you want to roll shortest possible and be harder to hit fine, just balance it out so they have drawback or for fuck sakes just make everyone the same size and get this over with I dont care but like you even stated

"In real life short people have short legs and can not compete in the olympics"

Yea well guess what as of now there is no drawbacks to rolling small and you only gain pvp advantages.

In this world short people can do the olympics...

Not to push more trouble here with your ideas but... what did you do exactly to test this all out? where are is evidence? have you ever just sat on a flat area aimming straight ahead, able to hit a normal sized char then have someone short stand in the exact same spot while aiming in the same location and see what happens?

95% of the time you swing right over their head hitting nothing but air... so if your statement was correct that would be impossible... can you please link your evidence?
    aparantly you need to run new tests.

I rolled a big guy, because I think the advantages of being big outweights the advantages of being small, if you think there is no advantages to being big your wrong.

oh and the reason why I dont want to back my words up with proof is that 1; you can do the legwork yourself if you want the right info. and 2; Im looking forward to the whine on this board once all the fotm small toon rollers figure out how and what size effects.

still I like pointing out whenever ppl are wrong.

I usually choose a small stature simply due to the fact that it gives me more viewable area on my screen as well as the illusion of slightly faster run speed. However, after following the game for some time I read that the Devs planned on implementing bonuses/penalties for hieght and weight. Due to this fact I rolled an AVERAGE character rather than as dimunitive as possible. So it seems like no matter what the Devs do someone will be pissed... Those that didn't do the research and rolled small, those who did and rolled bigger characters and those like myself who would have rather been small simply for the asthetics but chose to roll average to avoid penalties. I would love to see a pvp game with characters of varying size but we all know there is always 1 that beats out the others and it becomes the norm. This isn't my game and this isn't your game so who are we to push our ideas onto the devs? I hope these Devs are able to produce the game they dreamed about playing rather than caving to constant complaints from players. This isn't WoW or EQ and they don't ahve their man power or budget so we should all learn to deal with it .

this is another huge thing that Darkfall did wrong. I'm happy to hear the devs are going to put something in.

Little tiny alfars just as strong as huge target orks.. soooo retarded..

Big people have big hit boxes and will be the target of attack in wars.. they should be strong, higher carrrying capacity, longer range with melee, and better suited as power house.. where as smaller people should be quicker more nimble and suited well for ranged assault and everything in between..

middle of the road will probably be pretty normal with this sort of mechanic but those who want the extra buff will take on the more extreme sizes..

sounds like the devs got something in mind that will work out fine..

this actually goes to a char creation item...it would have been really really cool to see your stat maxes adjust based upon your physical size.

Height up : str+ dex-
    Height down : str - dex +
    Weight up : str+ agi-
    Weight down : str- agi+