Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Xsyon Citizen

Local chat is a joke

Xsyon, what the hell was going on in your head when you set the local chat to 9 (YES NINE) whole zones?!

Right now when I go to a neighbor, I have PM every single of them, because hundreds of players in the 9 zones would be seeing what we're talking about and possibly set us on their ignore list.

Set the local chat radius to 50m or so, BUT NOT ******* 9 zones!

This huge local chat kills the atmosphere hard.

Yeah, local chat should be local. Again, Realism is my thing

We have too many posts all saying the same thing.

I do however agree with you.

With such a large radius, Local has become the new Global and is inevitably filled with smack talk and griefing. The only other method of communication is /w and cannot be used for a group of people in the local area. We need chat channels or something adding down the line...

I realise that there are other priorities atm and its good to see the improvements in reduction of lag, but it would be good to get some atmosphere back in the chat

I agree 100% with this, it's as bad as global was before.

You're thinking of it as 9 zones. Try thinking of it as adjacent zones and you can see the "why" it's setup this way pretty easily. Lets you hear the guy 10 feet away from you, but on the other side of the zone line.

It's a different type of coding and resource problem if you set it up as straight proximity...and one that has the potential to create more lag between clients.

I'm not saying I wouldn't prefer a proximity based chat, but I'm not at all confused why it is the way it is.

Many threads about it already, I hope the chat system is the thing the developers tackle after the current technical problems are solved. I don't even mind the current zone chat as long as we get a real local chat (say 10 or 15 meters around the talker).

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by Escargot View Post
    You're thinking of it as 9 zones. Try thinking of it as adjacent zones and you can see the "why" it's setup this way pretty easily. Lets you hear the guy 10 feet away from you, but on the other side of the zone line.
    Was going to say exactly the same thing. I'll just add that measuring chat channel membership via zone is probably a lot less difficult (and resource-intensive) than actually calculating a live radius around moving players to determine what they can hear or not hear in real time. I'm assuming the devs are not going to pursue a costly solution to this "problem".

Personally, I would like to see local as your zone, a trade channel that acts like the current local and an alliance chat so you talk amongst friendly tribes/people. Also, tabs so you can sort your chat.

Xsyon Citizen
    I'd also be happy with the ability to click through chat faster than 1 line per mouse click. Realistically, if somebody said something half an hour ago, it's gone, unless you want to spend 5 minutes clicking up to it, and then clicking back down to current chat/system messages so you can see what is going on.

Honestly, this interface is a joke. It's like it was designed by a student.