Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lag seems zone based, or local population based

I was listening to the talk in the zone next door, and they lagged out completely. There were probably 50 people in that zone. In my zone, lag was slight or zero. I kept right on harvesting and crafting full speed, no problem, while listening to the zone next door complain and people were logging out. For a short period, we lagged also, but about 10 sec max. The next door zone was talking about 5-10 minutes!

My theory is that each zone has it's own list of entities, and as this list gets longer, the lag gets worse. A single player in a sparse zone might never see lag at all. A busy zone with a large tribe will see a lot of lag.

Talk about a mechanic to give mega tribes some teeth.

"Hi, we're the Giant PK Slumber Party Tribe, 75 members and growing. We're all online 17 hours a day, and we're moving into your zone! We've decided we like your little homestead, so if you don't let us have it, we're going to-"

"Stop. Hold it right there, guys. You don't have to start making fancy threats. The first one was plenty."

The big tribe is the one that suffers. It seems that zones with few people don't have the same lag problems. Big tribes suffer.

Not convinced it's exactly this. Mostly because I've been roaming the entire map since launch, and had no lag issues in certain tribes who had well over 40+ members, with at least half of them on at one time and in the zone.

Also, the generalization that every large tribe is a PK tribe is kinda....meh. I've met a lot of decent, friendly big tribes.

any meat to the idea that it's based on "developed" land?

Great assumption, but considering the fact that I logged in right after the server went up post-update and my frames took a serious hit when it was basically flawless pre-update. Logging in right after the update clearly shows that the area was the same as before.

Xsyon Citizen
    I can see some relation here, i was in an other sector to get some sand it already was lagging badly n my home sector.
    where i got my sand it was bearabel, the lag, i died on the way home and when i had to respawn i got stuk with loading entities for a long time.
    When i finally got in my ping said 0 and no way i could play, looked like i had no contact with server.

I tend to believe that lag has to do something with location.

I have consistently lag of about 10 seconds when passing a certain spot in zone 777, note that the spot is not heavily populated but in the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Saolite View Post
    Not convinced it's exactly this. Mostly because I've been roaming the entire map since launch, and had no lag issues in certain tribes who had well over 40+ members, with at least half of them on at one time and in the zone.

Also, the generalization that every large tribe is a PK tribe is kinda....meh. I've met a lot of decent, friendly big tribes.

The assumption that my post was meant completely seriously is also kinda....meh.

It is possible. Our tribe borders on two different zones and we've found that the lag can be worse for our members depending on whether they're in our camp, or in other locations outside of it. Some members would report 3-7 second input lag, while others said they were getting instant feedback from the server.