Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Should I buy now or wait a little longer?

Good day, I've been researching Xsyon since I heard about it a few days ago. I just have a few questions concerning the game itself, and I would like your honest opinions about whether to purchase the game and play it now, or wait a little while until more content is added or "unlocked". $40 is a bit steep for an MMO in my experience.

Also, I'd be very appreciative, if you answered some of the following questions.

1. I started playing MMOs with Ultima Online, and played it for 8 years. I fancy challenging games like EVE Online and Darkfall. I also enjoyed my time playing A Tale in the Desert, but left because I didn't like my work getting "reset" and deleted, as well as Wurm Online, but I didn't like constantly maintaining my buildings every day and taking hours finding edible food. Would this game be a good fit? I do enjoy crafting and trading with players, but I understand one must eat and drink to survive. Is that troublesome?

2. Is joining a tribe a requirement? While I enjoy social interaction just as much as the next fellow, I like accomplishing things and exploring on my own, rather than having everything handed to me as soon as I join one.

3. How is the lag now? I understand it was pretty bad at times, but the developers fixed it just a few days ago.

4. I see this game is full loot PVP, which I have no problem with as I grew up on Ultima Online for 8 years, but will there be some implementation of safe zones? I know the Homestead as well as Tribe territory are the current safe zones, but will those change after Prelude?

5. As for Homesteads, how do they work? What can be done with them? Are they simply a place for stuff to be stored or can they be fortified or expanded in some way? Can I build various stations to make my crafting more efficient? As for space, will a new player in six months have no trouble finding a good spot to place one?

And now for the most important question: Would you recommend purchasing the game now, or waiting a little bit longer?

Thank you very much for reading and I look forward to your responses.

3. lag horrible unplayable.

Wait until fixed for that reason alone. If someone says lag is fixed right now its just because kids are at school and adults at work. Prime time kicks in Lag monster arrives

Quote Originally Posted by JonTaggart View Post
    Good day, I've been researching Xsyon since I heard about it a few days ago. I just have a few questions concerning the game itself, and I would like your honest opinions about whether to purchase the game and play it now, or wait a little while until more content is added or "unlocked". $40 is a bit steep for an MMO in my experience.
    Personally I don't feel $40 is very expensive when you consider you are getting 6 weeks of play time included. I'm glad I'm starting now and getting in on the ground floor and helping my tribe build our community. It's also a good time to meet and make friends while learning the game a little at a time.

Also, I'd be very appreciative, if you answered some of the following questions.

1. I started playing MMOs with Ultima Online, and played it for 8 years. I fancy challenging games like EVE Online and Darkfall. I also enjoyed my time playing A Tale in the Desert, but left because I didn't like my work getting "reset" and deleted, as well as Wurm Online, but I didn't like constantly maintaining my buildings every day and taking hours finding edible food. Would this game be a good fit? I do enjoy crafting and trading with players, but I understand one must eat and drink to survive. Is that troublesome?
    I've never played UO but have played EVE, Darkfall and WURM and have heard a number of people say it is similar to the old UO. Eating and drinking isn't really a problem as there are rivers all over - but I'd recommend learning to fish as they provide more nourishment than foraging plants. Doesn't need to be a primary skill and nearly any tribe should be able to help out with getting you a fishing pole.

2. Is joining a tribe a requirement? While I enjoy social interaction just as much as the next fellow, I like accomplishing things and exploring on my own, rather than having everything handed to me as soon as I join one.
    You can certainly claim your own chunk of land and develop your skills on your own but I would recommend making some friends with your neighboring tribes :-)
    3. How is the lag now? I understand it was pretty bad at times, but the developers fixed it just a few days ago.
    The devs have been doing a great job and the lag issues have come a long way - not perfect yet but definately getting there. I think you would have trouble finding a more dedicated dev team anywhere.
    4. I see this game is full loot PVP, which I have no problem with as I grew up on Ultima Online for 8 years, but will there be some implementation of safe zones? I know the Homestead as well as Tribe territory are the current safe zones, but will those change after Prelude?
    Apparently yes - they will change in the future. There are some other posts available on this topic.
    5. As for Homesteads, how do they work? What can be done with them? Are they simply a place for stuff to be stored or can they be fortified or expanded in some way? Can I build various stations to make my crafting more efficient? As for space, will a new player in six months have no trouble finding a good spot to place one?
    You can build tents, storage bins, a fire, fences and walls as well as tools clothes etc. Apparently they have plans for much much more! i can't wait.
    And now for the most important question: Would you recommend purchasing the game now, or waiting a little bit longer?
    I think there is currently a lot of fun to be had right now for the reasons mentioned in the first section of my reply. That being said don't get overly frustrated when the hiccups do happen as they undoubtedly will. Personally I just purchased a second account over the weekend because I believe it's worth it - I've been waiting for a VERY long time for a game like this. I joined a great tribe as well.
    Cya in game ;-)

1. You will most likely enjoy the game.

2. You can play solo without a tribe, just make friends and trade

3. They are working on the lag issue, the game is much better now than some days ago.

4. Your own homestead/tribe area is a safe zone, after Prelude you will get the option to turn safety off, but you will be able to keep it on if you wish so. This won't be a switch, but probably something that depends on your actions.

5. Homesteads can't expand, bands/clans/tribes can. There are no crafting stations, you can build/terraform inside your area. The devs plan to open up more land in April.

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. What does anyone else think?

I have not decided yet. I'd like the combat system to be in, but I may get it before that to check it out anyway.

Great replies here. I'm also deciding whether to buy/try Xsyon or not. Please other subscribers, can you post any other comments?
    Oh, btw, some questions of mine:
    1) how big is the grind in this game?
    2) how big advantage have veteran players over newbies
    3) really, how big is the world (i know what devs brag, but want to know how it is for real)?
    4) will there be server wipes or is the game world persistent?

Quote Originally Posted by Glabro View Post
    Great replies here. I'm also deciding whether to buy/try Xsyon or not. Please other subscribers, can you post any other comments?
    Oh, btw, some questions of mine:
    1) how big is the grind in this game?
    2) how big advantage have veteran players over newbies
    3) really, how big is the world (i know what devs brag, but want to know how it is for real)?
    4) will there be server wipes or is the game world persistent?
    1) Grind in this game is very little, plenty of people have mastered their chosen craft already.
    2) You die in a few hits regardless of combat skills and stats. Theres nothing competitive about the economy because tribes are basically entirely self-sufficient. It won't take you long to have your crafts skilled up. Sadly though if you join a tribe thats at all established you really won't be useful to them as its very easy for a tribe to have everything covered.
    3) The world is very large. Hard to give a point of reference really, but its more than adequate.
    4) The game world is persistent.

I wouldn't purchase the game thinking you are buying a product, because you really aren't. Its more of a donation at this point, seeing as most of the game's features are not implemented, and the game is plagued with bugs, lag, and server downtime.

If you are a patient person who enjoys crafting and world building you will likely have fun for awhile, though I personally question the game's allure after even 2 months in its current state. For what its worth I resubbed to EvE because I don't feel this game is there yet. I'll be playing a couple times a week for the remainder of my game time. If at that time the game hasn't improved I won't be resubscribing.

i would say buy the game. But be warned at times things do go wrong (sumtimes horribly) but the dev's do manage to fix it and lag for the most part is almost completly fixed. their is alot to do ingame and im pretty sure itll keep ya busy till he irons out bugs and more lag optimizations.

1. Not too troublesome. If you take up fishing, you can easily feed yourself and you will have to have a water source nearby your camp to quench thirst. Feeding yourself is much easier then in Wurm, but getting water is probably a bit harder.

2. Nope, you can survive fine with a little bit of work and trading for tools. You might have some trouble if you set up camp right next to a large pvp tribe or something.

3. Seems all over the place. There are times I can play for a few hours with no trouble, other times the server crashes randomly, weird lag happens, etc. It can be frustrating.

4. It seems that the devs are planning some sort of change in safe-zones after prelude. Whether or not it will be optional, I'm not sure.

5. On your homestead you can terraform the land to be flat, have dirt walls or ramps, etc. You can store your containers and items on your land and they're protected from people looting them. You can construct walls, buildings and such on your land. Currently you can't enter buildings and walls don't have much use due to safe-zones. Not sure what you mean by building various stations, but if you mean making additional settlements, then I believe you can only have 1 per player. There is a lot of open space currently, however due to the usefulness of scrap piles, most of them have a lot of tribes stationed around. Some tribes are very territorial some are less so. The devs have stated that they're planning to expand the game world considerably, so I would guess that a player in 6 months would be able to find land pretty easily, although they might have to deal with other tribes.

6. If the money isn't that big of a deal for you and you wouldn't mind some frustrations, then I'd try it. The game elements that are there are pretty fun. However, if you're looking for the most entertainment for your dollar, you'd probably want to wait until more of the issues have been ironed out.