Thread: Dirt & Q's

Dirt & Q's

Question 1. The "Dirt" System. Currently you are required to have dirt in your pack to raise land and when you lower land dirt goes in your pack. This system is very inconvenient to the player when a player just needs to lower a small hill, or raise one. I don't quite see a reason for the "dirt" other then a slight "realism" factor that adds a lot of inconvenience. What is the worry about not having the dirt? Couldn't some system be implemented that when a totem is destroyed/removed all land is put back to its original levels? If the Dirt System is kept in what keeps someone from just filling a bin, walking down the river and dropping the bin off? Do bins vanish after a certain time on non-tribal land if they aren't interacted with? If not would you rather have tons and tons of bin filled with dirt all over the game world?

Question 2. When are "Gates" going to be put in that we can open and close on our walls to keep people out?

Question 3. When are more items going to be added to Masonry? Also when is cooking going in? Tired of just eating grass and fish! :P

Eventually we can trade you some dirt for your terra forming, i hope you have allot of something else to trade for the weight of the dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellaciouss View Post
    a slight "realism" factor that adds a lot of inconvenience.
    Get used to this.

Couldn't some system be implemented that when a totem is destroyed/removed all land is put back to its original levels?
    The maker has a Harvard masters in archeology or some such. Imagine after clans up and move (because of resource depletion, angry neighbors, or whatever) and there's months of item/architecture decay and regrown grass. Neato.

If the Dirt System is kept in what keeps someone from just filling a bin, walking down the river and dropping the bin off? Do bins vanish after a certain time on non-tribal land if they aren't interacted with? If not would you rather have tons and tons of bin filled with dirt all over the game world?
    I think you are on to something here. I'm sure it doesn't help the server load or lag or whatever. Eventually there will be decay in game, supposedly containers will decay eventually (at a slower rate inside buildings).

Question 2. When are "Gates" going to be put in that we can open and close on our walls to keep people out?
    Nobody can really answer most "when is X going to happen." If it's not in the game atm, we don't know.

Question 3. When are more items going to be added to Masonry? Also when is cooking going in? Tired of just eating grass and fish! :P
    See Q2, although I see Masonry being later than sooner.

How does it ever make sense to make a mound of dirt when you start with no dirt? I like the fact that dirt is close to a zero sum system. (I imagine if you drop dirt it just disappears like everything else.) And honestly feel it should not be changed. If you don't want to dig a hole in your tribe to make a hill then trade someone for some of their dirt. *shrug*

As to a "revert to default" after someone pulls a totem that makes no sense either. If you go somewhere, build a house and then decide you don't want to live there anymore the house doesn't disappear. When item quality and decay gets put in the game then things will slowly go away. Another feature I personally like. Why do you want to have it go back to normal anyway? So you can dig a huge hole, pull up the totem, drop it again and build the hill you wanted?

As Jumpshot said any "when are X gonna happen" questions are impossible to answer except by 2 people who are busy trying to make the things you want put in. The best anyone can do is guess, so I'm gonna say May 3rd for gates and October 22nd for masonry.

I think you are on to something here. I'm sure it doesn't help the server load or lag or whatever. Eventually there will be decay in game, supposedly containers will decay eventually (at a slower rate inside buildings).
    The problem I see with this is that if land doesn't roll back to it's original state over a period of time more and more dirt will leave the game do to the "decay" and never return...so we will be seeing more and more holes unable to be filled, ever.

I just think at this point in time it is a very questionable mechanic that I personally don't see adding anything positive to the game

Try leveling before you try to raise or lower a spot if all you want is a level spot to build.

Remember Jooky's Law of Conservation of Dirt: Dirt can neither be created or destroyed.

Welcome to my sand a gravel pit =)

Quote Originally Posted by robofriven View Post
    How does it ever make sense to make a mound of dirt when you start with no dirt? I like the fact that dirt is close to a zero sum system. (I imagine if you drop dirt it just disappears like everything else.) And honestly feel it should not be changed. If you don't want to dig a hole in your tribe to make a hill then trade someone for some of their dirt. *shrug*

As to a "revert to default" after someone pulls a totem that makes no sense either. If you go somewhere, build a house and then decide you don't want to live there anymore the house doesn't disappear. When item quality and decay gets put in the game then things will slowly go away. Another feature I personally like. Why do you want to have it go back to normal anyway? So you can dig a huge hole, pull up the totem, drop it again and build the hill you wanted?
    You are trying to turn a game into something far, far too realistic. Land needs to eventually turn back to it's original state if it's not "claimed" because the system becomes very exploitable if it doesn't eventually get turned back. We'll have tribes set individual tasks of going out 5 miles and setting up a totem, digging trench, pulling up totem, and then moving on to continue the trench until it's obscenely huge. And where are they going to put all that dirt? In bins that litter the surroundings taking up lots and lots of server resources, aka, causing lag for the rest of us.

If they are going to allow this they may as well just completely remove the restriction of not being able to terraform on non-tribal land because it would be a completely simple thing to get around.

well, dirt can sort of be destroyed. just try and build across a river with a falls. you will reach a point that you can rasie the ground,but then do it again it drops down 1 or 2 spots, i put over 150 in that smae spot and never was able to get past it.