Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Macroers

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by jokhul View Post
    Such as ?
    1. A macroing player send more commands to the server than a live player.
    2. Excessive commands sent to the server will inevitably cause lag that degrades the experience of other players.
    3. A player who is denied the privilege of attended macroing will simply go do something else with his time, instead of playing.
    4. More people will leave as a result of being PK'd by macro'ers than will leave as a result of banning macro'ers.
    5. Macro activity can be reliably identified by the devs, both in theory and in practice.
    6. Enforcement of macro policy is the only way to prevent macro's.

House of cards, amigo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
    1. A macroing player send more commands to the server than a live player.
    Of course. A player gets tired, bored or needs sleep. Macro's suffer none of these drawbacks.
    2. Excessive commands sent to the server will inevitably cause lag that degrades the experience of other players.
    Self evident.
    3. A player who is denied the privilege of attended macroing will simply go do something else with his time, instead of playing.
    Undeniably speculative.
    4. More people will leave as a result of being PK'd by macro'ers than will leave as a result of banning macro'ers.
    See the history of Darkfall.
    5. Macro activity can be reliably identified by the devs, both in theory and in practice.
    Inaccurate summary. However, "on the spot" verification is the easiest way to check.
    6. Enforcement of macro policy is the only way to prevent macro's.
    Only practical way. Adding global monitoring and reporting routines to the code will slow the game down noticeably.
    What would you suggest to counter the evil of macroing ?

Xsyon Citizen
    1. I thought we were talking about attended macroing..
    2. Not self-evident.
    3. You seem to agree with me
    4. I left DF because of the grind and the fact that it begged for macroing, not because of advantages held by players who macro'd longer or better
    5. My point was that you are assuming that devs have ANY ability whatsoever to reliably identify someone who is macroing. How, exactly, does an "on the spot check" somehow magically make the devs able to tell someone macroing from someone who's not?
    6. First, without monitoring/reporting code, I imagine enforcement is not going to be very reliable -- it will fail to catch many macro'ers and it will produce many "false positives" where people are actually not macroing. Second, my point was that striving to eliminate the gameplay mechanics that encourage macroing is a better, cheaper way to limit macroing.

my point is that those stats are made up and exagerated, I don't think there's nearly as much to gain from macro'ing in this game or that it gives anyone nearly that much advantage.

I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by jokhul View Post
    What would you suggest to counter the evil of macroing ?
    a leveling speed and character system that doesn't need macros. A ressource system that forces you to explore and travel/trade to get all the rare ressources and not a 80+ scavange skill that you gain by clicking........that were only examples. Macroing has nearly no influenece in combat because everyone dies with 3 hit to pre order weapons anyways.......seriously the guys who see macroing as a source for every evil are only jealous because they are not able to do it, not macroing is the problem, bad design is...

Quote Originally Posted by Niburu View Post
    a leveling speed and character system that doesn't need macros. A ressource system that forces you to explore and travel/trade to get all the rare ressources and not a 80+ scavange skill that you gain by clicking........that were only examples. Macroing has nearly no influenece in combat because everyone dies with 3 hit to pre order weapons anyways.......seriously the guys who see macroing as a source for every evil are only jealous because they are not able to do it, not macroing is the problem, bad design is...
    although I agree with you.. I also wanted to point out not one game has ever gotten away without having macroers... even ultima and early mmos had a system that macroers could take advantage of.

This kind of leveling/skill/progression system just screams "macro-me." It's sad, but it's just the way it is. People bitch and moan about Eve's real-time skill-progression system, myself included, but you can't say someone macroed their skills in that game and bitch about them having an "unfair advantage."

If macroing is a "problem" in a skill-based system, then their are systems that can be designed to limit the effectiveness of macroing such as putting a heavier emphasis on weapon stats and weapon abilities. Another thing that could help some is limiting the number of active stats/skills a person can use at anyone time. Since everyone has access to a totem, they can equip their skills at their totem, as if it was equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by coca View Post
    although I agree with you.. I also wanted to point out not one game has ever gotten away without having macroers... even ultima and early mmos had a system that macroers could take advantage of.
    This type of system is effectively a clone of Ultima's skill progression system. Just like Darkfall and Mortal Online.

ban the retards please. no cheaters.

Quote Originally Posted by coca View Post
    So true. I haven't played an MMO that wasn't possible to macro or bot in some way.

I think the larger question that I'd pose to macroers of Xsyon is - why? If there was a need to reach a certain skill level to accomplish things I may understand, but that isn't necessary. As someone else said you die in a few hits regardless, any edge in combat skills is basically negligible. As for crafting skills, I just don't get the rush.

Now if this was an established game and you wanted to be useful to a tribe that is well established I can sort of understand the desire to macro a new character, but now? What is the point, what are these macroers planning to even do when they are "finished" that they cannot do right now?

If I was going to play a UO free shard, then yes for the love of God I'd macro. If this was Darkfall, I'd HAVE to macro. But Xsyon? WHY? What advantage are you even really gaining that justifies this?

Quote Originally Posted by Dontaze_Mebro View Post
    The constant murdering of brand new helpless players are what have pushed his attack skills over the 90's It could be total BS everything else the guy says is complete lies, but I have witnessed them macroing and watched it go on for several rest cycles.
    It is true he may have the advantage now but with a softcap instated hopefully catching up won't be a problem.

I still suggest that you report people who are macroing. They aren't helping the lag any.
    This makes no sense. What does macroing have to do with the 'murdering of brand new helpless players' anyway? How would one macro that? Sounds like legitimate skill gain to me (if it were true). Or is the point "They kill noobs AND they macro!"?