Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I haven't read all of this yet, but if you can use the dodge/parry tools already in to block/dodge magic and arrows then a lock on at a certain range might invoke some pretty nice combat and stop everyone from being ranged. If you can't use those tools, than a lock on might not be the best idea unless it's a straight only shot that doesn't auto follow the target.

A better idea might be to have a semi lock on system, where when you hover the mouse over an enemy you still have a chance to miss at low archery/magic skill.

I haven't thought all this out, but just throwing up some things.

Quote Originally Posted by orious13 View Post
    I haven't read all of this yet, but if you can use the dodge/parry tools already in to block/dodge magic and arrows then a lock on at a certain range might invoke some pretty nice combat and stop everyone from being ranged. If you can't use those tools, than a lock on might not be the best idea unless it's a straight only shot that doesn't auto follow the target.

A better idea might be to have a semi lock on system, where when you hover the mouse over an enemy you still have a chance to miss at low archery/magic skill.

I haven't thought all this out, but just throwing up some things.
    I think I see what you're getting at. Kinda like in ace combat for certain missiles, you had to keep your aiming reticle over the plane you were trying to hit. I'd like to see that for certain ranged combat types.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmoonstrike View Post
    I think I see what you're getting at. Kinda like in ace combat for certain missiles, you had to keep your aiming reticle over the plane you were trying to hit. I'd like to see that for certain ranged combat types.
    If different LR-weapons could have different targeting schemes then that would also be pretty interesting.

Not sure what you mean Orious. More detail, or possibly an example please?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmoonstrike View Post
    Not sure what you mean Orious. More detail, or possibly an example please?
    lol...maybe some weapons have a bigger semi-target than others or maybe something else. Honestly I don't remember what part of my brain I was using when I first typed that.

Anyway, I just like inventing crazy concepts just to be different sometimes. Ha ha.

Jumping around like a gymnast doing a floor exercise is a terrible example of dodging in combat. Look at boxing and martial arts... short quick motions that avoid the attack just enough, that's all it needs to be. It would be hindered by encumbrance, but not as much as many might think.

About the lock-on versus manual aiming - there's a place for a both, and it's based entirely off of opinion. RPGs were originally about the character, not the player - the whole point was to break your own real-life limits. And while manual aiming does have some degree of skill involved, so does stats/probability planning. Both of them are secondary to other variables such as positioning, timing, and equipment.

It's been a long time since I've played it, but Tabula Rasa had a good hybrid system, I remember right. It was primarily fps controls with a retical. But it was fairly lenient and used a soft-lock system so that you could maintain a target during crowded/messy fights. I liked that system because it combined some of the FPS manual aiming with RPG style stat based combat. It felt quick, fluid, and fun.

Some might argue that combat should be about personal skill (manual aim/target) instead of stats or gear (which if designed correctly takes skill, not grind). However, this point of view often ignores the technological advantages that some players will have in real life - essentially claiming that good gear is unfair in-game where everyone has access, but expensive accessories out of game are completely legit.

In the end I still think it's more a matter of preference. I happen to prefer a well done hybrid of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by biotek View Post
    Jumping around like a gymnast doing a floor exercise is a terrible example of dodging in combat. Look at boxing and martial arts... short quick motions that avoid the attack just enough, that's all it needs to be. It would be hindered by encumbrance, but not as much as many might think.

About the lock-on versus manual aiming - there's a place for a both, and it's based entirely off of opinion. RPGs were originally about the character, not the player - the whole point was to break your own real-life limits. And while manual aiming does have some degree of skill involved, so does stats/probability planning. Both of them are secondary to other variables such as positioning, timing, and equipment.

It's been a long time since I've played it, but Tabula Rasa had a good hybrid system, I remember right. It was primarily fps controls with a retical. But it was fairly lenient and used a soft-lock system so that you could maintain a target during crowded/messy fights. I liked that system because it combined some of the FPS manual aiming with RPG style stat based combat. It felt quick, fluid, and fun.

Some might argue that combat should be about personal skill (manual aim/target) instead of stats or gear (which if designed correctly takes skill, not grind). However, this point of view often ignores the technological advantages that some players will have in real life - essentially claiming that good gear is unfair in-game where everyone has access, but expensive accessories out of game are completely legit.

In the end I still think it's more a matter of preference. I happen to prefer a well done hybrid of the two.
    Yeah I agree with this. I actually think consolizing rpgs is in fact making them twitch-based (not saying I'm against the 0 target because that does make things more challenging). When I saw targeting, TR is exactly what came to mind... that's a semi-target that still requires aiming skills, but includes rpg elements and RNG. Even Age of Conan has interesting rpgstyle half twitch half targeting combat. The current dodge/parry system I actually like it just needs some tweaking.

Its probably been mentioned, but you dont have to lock on to your target to hit them, you just have to so you can see there health.

To be honest I think we have come to the conclusion here that we want MnB with Xsyon sandbox elements not the other way around.

I for one would jump all over a post-apocalyptic MnB MMO. We seem to be hoping that the devs of the game will reinvent it to thesze expectations. At this point I think it would be easier to convince the devs of MnB to emulate this game than vise versa.

Perhaps a web petition to the developers of MnB is in order.

You're still suggesting one hit kills....I for one will refuse to play this game if that can happen EVER. One hit kills is the epitome of UNSKILLED.

Also, if there are no stats in this game at all on gear then entire point of crafting is pointless, absolutely pointless. There most be some contributing factor from gear, including BETTER GEAR or there is simply absolutely no reason to craft anything other then the basic crap.