Terraforming/building outside boundaries

Server stability and such is of course the priority for Xsyon right now, this is not something I'm suggesting gets implemented ASAP or anything like that. This is just a suggestion on what might be nice to be implemented at a future date.

My suggestion is this: allow any player to terraform and build outside of tribal boundaries.

Hear me out.

It seems from the description of Prelude that this time is for the players to build up and form the world from a blank slate. I feel that players are very limited to do anything like this with the current setup for building/terraforming.

If structures were built in the "wild" they would function the same as when building on tribal land, however they could be destroyed/removed by other players, and wouldn't provide safe zones like on tribal land. This would allow, for instance, a group of small allied tribes to set up a perimeter fence, or a guard house. For a tribe to build a fishing or hunting camp, or for warring tribes to build defensive structures and lookout posts.

Being able to terraform outside tribal boundaries would allow players to build roadways between zones that weren't just textures. Terraforming bridges across rivers, and creating an easy to travel on slope along the way. This would also allow for areas of land to be reformed for tactical or aesthetic purposes.

I feel that this would really enhance the freedom and enjoyment of the players, and result in a much more interesting and truly player created world.

There would probably end up being people that would use this system for griefing, but it would still work with the proper safeguards in place.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Shikoba View Post
    Server stability and such is of course the priority for Xsyon right now, this is not something I'm suggesting gets implemented ASAP or anything like that. This is just a suggestion on what might be nice to be implemented at a future date.

My suggestion is this: allow any player to terraform and build outside of tribal boundaries.

Hear me out.

It seems from the description of Prelude that this time is for the players to build up and form the world from a blank slate. I feel that players are very limited to do anything like this with the current setup for building/terraforming.

If structures were built in the "wild" they would function the same as when building on tribal land, however they could be destroyed/removed by other players, and wouldn't provide safe zones like on tribal land. This would allow, for instance, a group of small allied tribes to set up a perimeter fence, or a guard house. For a tribe to build a fishing or hunting camp, or for warring tribes to build defensive structures and lookout posts.

Being able to terraform outside tribal boundaries would allow players to build roadways between zones that weren't just textures. Terraforming bridges across rivers, and creating an easy to travel on slope along the way. This would also allow for areas of land to be reformed for tactical or aesthetic purposes.

I feel that this would really enhance the freedom and enjoyment of the players, and result in a much more interesting and truly player created world.

There would probably end up being people that would use this system for griefing, but it would still work with the proper safeguards in place.

What do you think?
    I love the idea but I don't think its practical. Players will use these freedom to destroy the land scape of the map everywhere. Like for example, would like to walk into a wall from one zone to another because I bet ya, someone will build it than who has the time to actually get rid of this wall that someone created just to be more defensive. I like the idea but it would be tough to control however if they allowed tribes to play multiple totems, that might solve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by rajaxone View Post
    I love the idea but I don't think its practical. Players will use these freedom to destroy the land scape of the map everywhere. Like for example, would like to walk into a wall from one zone to another because I bet ya, someone will build it than who has the time to actually get rid of this wall that someone created just to be more defensive. I like the idea but it would be tough to control however if they allowed tribes to play multiple totems, that might solve the problem.
    For sure people would end up trying to do stuff like this. I do think that safeguards could be implemented to prevent most of it though.

Wurm Online, for example, has full terraforming/building outside of deeded areas (which work like totems do) and for the most part it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Shikoba View Post
    ... My suggestion is this: allow any player to terraform and build outside of tribal boundaries. ...
    With all due respect, and I thank you for a well written post, still no, no, no. I'm quite sure that you, personally, would use this feature in a responsible way, but many other players wouldn't.

In a perfect world, without the Internet bullies, this would be a great suggestion, sadly we're not living in that world. My apologies.

aye ...digging moats around tribal lands..then flooding the moat whit water so you cant fill or have a very hard time restoring it.. the abuse is easy to think off. maybe very maybe in a year or so the system might be ready for such freedom but right now it would be abused

Yea, the tribal land restriction is needed. Else it will be an even bigger mess.

Accidental double post. Please delete.

I know on Wurm I used this ability to go out, tear up small sections of road, terraform the ground so the road looks nice and level, then repave it, and tear up the next section of road until I get tired of fixing roads.

But as mentioned I could see this ending up as a way for players to build big pits so they can laugh when people fall in, or general eyesores, etc. Outposts/lookout towers does sound really fun though... perhaps they could make it so a tribe can put down a certain number of outpost markers outside their territory, but inside their perimeter, that give enough area of terraforming to allow the building of some sort of tower. They might even consider making some actual structures called lookout towers that could be placed within a tribes perimeter with like 1 for every 5 members or something.

Also maybe they could consider giving players the ability to terraform off deed if they are participating in some form of "Community project" approved by the Guides. Then they could remove it after the project or leave it on for people who they trust to use it responsibly with the threat of severe punishments for those who then use it to go out and grief. If they do this, they need to have some way of tracking who did what.

This is a suggestions thread and as such - unless the topic is something already planned on, even if approved it isn't going to be instantly stuck into the game "as it is now" to be then be used or griefed by all, the Dev's have to take time todo their own part of the work in implementation with just about any suggestion after all. :P

Keeping that in mind I totally agree with the OP and think the suggestion would really help enrich the world experience in the long run, add Climbing to the game so people don't have to /unstuck, add new rules to how terraforming works~ maybe they'll have something else in mind, who knows~ but I for one am all for this.