Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Safe Zones: Here To Stay, Beyond Prelude

NOTE: I edited this post to make more sense by placing the Xsyon posts in order that they appeared.

The misconception on dropping safe zones after Prelude came from here, where people thoughht at some point during or after Prelude, they would be dropped:

"2) The game will start with two game servers: War and Peace.

The War server will have safe zones removed during the Prelude. The plan is to evolve this server to focus more on tribal warfare and conquest as quickly as possible.

The Peace server will retain its safe zones with tribes having the options to engage in tribal warfare or allow PvP on tribal lands. This server will evolve more for the crafting and building community." Xsyon

This post then followed:

"Regarding the future of safe zones and conquest as brought about by the discussion of War and Peace servers:

What I imagine is:
    - Tribes choosing to become warring on non-warring, not as an on / off switch but as a permanent or difficult to reverse decision, likely based on tribal actions.
    - Warring tribes would be able to conquer and raid others, but they will also become susceptible to war. Non warring tribes would keep their area safe, but don’t gain the ability to raid or conquer other tribes.
    - Both warring and non-warring tribes could claim resources that would be up for contest by both types of tribes.
    - Some expansion zones being open to more conquest without safe zones, while in others tribes would retain the choice to war or not." -Xsyon

The misconception on dropping safe zones after Prelude came from here, where people thoughht at some point during or after Prelude, they would be dropped:

2) The game will start with two game servers: War and Peace.

"The War server will have safe zones removed during the Prelude. The plan is to evolve this server to focus more on tribal warfare and conquest as quickly as possible.

The Peace server will retain its safe zones with tribes having the options to engage in tribal warfare or allow PvP on tribal lands. This server will evolve more for the crafting and building community." Xsyon

The "misconception" came from Jordi himself a year ago. He stated safe zones would only be during Prelude. Obviously, he backpedaled.

I fully support permanent safezones but as small as this games population is I don't think it is wise to divide them between two servers. Also I think having a "War" server will have some serious downsides. New players will be forced to join a war-ready tribe as soon as they join or be utterly destroyed. I really like the idea of "inner and outer territories" I posted here:

http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...er-territories

With a system like this, all the server population will be kept together, which will both negate the need for buying another server, and allow people to move into the outer territories as they got more confident in their fighting abilities. They do so at the penalty of not having direct access to outer territory resources but they can always trade for the resources out there, or make a long distance trip for a dangerous but rewarding adventure.

I fear if you divided the two servers though, the war server would have almost no population. After it loses all the people living on the safe servers, which will be expanded because some who might have wanted to fight some day will want to stay on the safe servers where they have a chance to really learn the game, it will take additional losses to the fact that given the entire server is filled with PKers and there is no protection, new players will be slaughtered repeatedly until they rage quit.

I personally really would like to live on a PVP server, but at the same time it would be nice to be able to go to a base where I can just relax and build.

We know from safe zone poles that people who want a system of complete chaos is the minority of this game. If they are shoved over onto a new no-safezone server, soon there will be nobody left to fight.

im curious to see how/if this discussion has evolved now that the game is kinda live.

is crafting and terraforming without purpose still 'awesome'?
    Do the proponents of the 'forever safe' environemnt still feel that way, having now experienced a game largely devoid of purpose and motivation (that being there is no reason to do an activity, besides the activity itself)?

Don't get me wrong, personnally i don't think the safe zones should be removed until a) we have an ability to secure our towns and b) combat mechanics gets a revamp and fnally c) PO weapons are made to disintigrate after 10 hits

but 'forever safe' seems to be a moniker for 'forever boring'.

With this single server deal we have now...

I seriously doubt that it'll be safe zones after prelude. You might have safe areas (as in protected with gates or pets or something and indestructable).

But that's a ways away from now and it has been proven that things can always change.

I fully agree Dubanka. Thats a large reason why I think splitting forever safe servers from PVP servers is a really, really, bad idea. The PVP servers will die fast and the forever safe servers will die slow. Put together in an environment where higher risk means higher reward, they have the ability to enhance each other.

He talked about going dual servers right after the botched launch as a way to reduce the load on the servers to reduce lag. But then he went back to single server and said that tribes will be able to set their tribe as a safe zone but it would be hard to switch back and forth. So you decide, set and leave it for the most part. Tribes would then also have the option of making their tribe a spawn point once the safe zone spawns are removed.

Safe Zone will still be going away after prelude. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by JCatano View Post
    The "misconception" came from Jordi himself a year ago. He stated safe zones would only be during Prelude. Obviously, he backpedaled.
    wrong
    they are here to say your behind. Never going happen this isn't open pvp game stated many many times

Quote Originally Posted by Dubanka View Post
    im curious to see how/if this discussion has evolved now that the game is kinda live.

is crafting and terraforming without purpose still 'awesome'?
    Do the proponents of the 'forever safe' environemnt still feel that way, having now experienced a game largely devoid of purpose and motivation (that being there is no reason to do an activity, besides the activity itself)?

Don't get me wrong, personnally i don't think the safe zones should be removed until a) we have an ability to secure our towns and b) combat mechanics gets a revamp and fnally c) PO weapons are made to disintigrate after 10 hits

but 'forever safe' seems to be a moniker for 'forever boring'.
    This has more to do with the fact there is no decay then the fact there is no war. If you have PvP those items would still be in the game! This only means that you will have a portion of player that would not have to buy gear and an other portion who would need to buy a lot of it.