Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Greifers are getting bad!

So my tribe mate told that some dbag went around our area (about 7-8 clans around us) and killed everyone outside their safe zones and then proceeded to cut down every tree, destroy every log, and remove every stump in our area! The place is now completely barren. I asked what his name was but no one got a good look :/ The most info I got was that his name started with Xyc and was really really long.

Anyway most of our neighbors are thinking about quitting :/ along with some of my tribe mates... Its not the ganking that's gay its the mutilation of land that's getting bad. I love the ability to fight anyone anywhere! But going into peoples land and destroying all their trees in the entire area is just sickening!

This game has so much potential but there are so many dbags just going around sabotaging people. And in turn its pushing people away from the game. The game already feels barren from all the people who left due to the lag in the first week. I love this game and im still going to tough it out but I really do not want this game to die because of greifers...

What you describe doesn't sound like Greifing (sic).

You have obviously never beef griefed, it sounds unfortunate that your neighbors and tribemates can't stomach actually playing the game and removing the offending player. I assume the offender did this because they were either very bored, or you all did something to piss them off. Without being able to burn down their home you are helpless to this kind of activity.

ive seen this happen in other areas also people just cutting down trees and removing stumps for no reason other than griefing and hazard i agree with you if they were in the area they should have just killed him but if they werent online then they couldnt. i think that they should make trees grow back because of whats happening.

Gods get over it, it is not "griefing" to scorched earth the area around other tribes. This is tactically restricting those tribes access to resources. Limiting the available resources of enemy tribes makes it harder for them to complete fortifications, and limits their ability to produce weapons/tools ect. Defending and managing your own resources while limiting access to the same for your enemy is warfare 101.

Edit: Additionally this makes resources more valuable and stimulates trade.

griefing

1. Purposefully shooting or otherwise sabotaging your teammates in an online game.

2. In online gaming where one repeatedly killing the same individual or individuals over and over again, or camping their corpse to prevent them from retrieving it, or otherwise performing actions in a game to prevent the player from enjoying the game.

3. In online gaming, someone who takes pleasure in creating grief for an opponent via various "cheap" tactics.

Blake if you are suggesting that no.2 in your definition of griefing equates to denying resources to enemy tribes then by that same definition all toolcrafters are griefers to me because they limit my ability to sell my crafted tools.

Yes I know that is a bit of a stretch but it still applies.

I stand by my original post. By removing all the trees from around tribes close to our own we strengthen our own position and now have the option of selling our own wood stockpiles, which we would not have been able to do if they had easy access to wood themselves.

Yeah... "scorched earth" seems to be a valid form of pvp imo.

Forestry is a feature that really needs to be brought up the list of priorities in my books.

Calling this a legitimate scorched earth tactic is more than a stretch, I can't help but see it as fanboy gibberish. I'd say it was a legitimate wartime tactic if we could actually, you know, go to war. As it stands "war" is hoping you catch your enemies outside of their safe zone. People aren't destroying resources to tactically limit their enemies, they are destroying resources because they can do so with no repercussions. Half the time its one guy going around doing it. This isn't about war, its about flawed mechanics.

@Bo agreed

@Haphazard, you mentioned something that was key here, bored. If it's for a reason is one thing, on purpose wrecking a game out of boredom is most certainly a form of griefing, go do something else if you're bored, read a book, watch a movie, play another video game until this one fits your needs, but doing stuff like wrecking a game, because of a bad mechanic or boredom fits no ones needs except the selfish douch bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    What you describe doesn't sound like Greifing (sic).

You have obviously never beef griefed, it sounds unfortunate that your neighbors and tribemates can't stomach actually playing the game and removing the offending player. I assume the offender did this because they were either very bored, or you all did something to piss them off. Without being able to burn down their home you are helpless to this kind of activity.