Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

The Best way to handle macroers

So far the very best way to deal with macro'ing players is how our Tribe does it...

If anyone is caught macroing, we turn them in to the guides. Period! No excuses.

Macroing is against the TOS and is unacceptable EVEN if the player caught is in our own tribe! By letting the guides handle the offender, the responsibility is placed back upon those that run the game and the player breaking the rules.

Our tribe is an honorable and lawful tribe that will just not cotten to anyone that wants to break the rules. Rules will help us all stay civil, lack of rules will cause chaos and ruin our fun and games.

LaughingOak
    Trader and Emissary for the Regulators tribe.

I have read the TOS, can you quote where it says Macroing is against it? I don't doubt it is against TOS, but I sure could not find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunt View Post
    I have read the TOS, can you quote where it says Macroing is against it? I don't doubt it is against TOS, but I sure could not find it.
    3. Use of third party software that would give you or anyone else an advantage of any form.

Did not read everything, but if this is all then you can use Macro's as long as they do not give you or anyone else an advantage. Pretty gray area, if I would use a 3rd party software that everyone could do I then still have a advantage?

Quote Originally Posted by Redus View Post
    3. Use of third party software that would give you or anyone else an advantage of any form.

Did not read everything, but if this is all then you can use Macro's as long as they do not give you or anyone else an advantage. Pretty gray area, if I would use a 3rd party software that everyone could do I then still have a advantage?
    OK, so I cannot use EasyMacro or similar programs. That is cool. But see I have a mouse and a keyboard that automates clicks. No software required. So I am fine using that. Glad you cleared that up.

Or take it to the other extreme and the people that used programs to help them create a world map should be banned. A map surely gives them an advantage.

Bottom line, everyone knows what a macro is. If they wanted to make macroing against TOS, then they need to add a number and state it clearly.

66. The use of macroing or other automated key and mouse-clicking programs, services, or hardware that allows a person to perform actions in the game while not touching the keyboard or mouse is prohibited.

They can make it sound better then that, but until they give us something like the above, they have no leg to stand on in the macroing war. By not having something clear like this they are condoning macroing without actually saying it.

Or if you see one, kill em,. Take what they macroed, and use it for your benifit

Quote Originally Posted by Haunt View Post
    OK, so I cannot use EasyMacro or similar programs. That is cool. But see I have a mouse and a keyboard that automates clicks. No software required. So I am fine using that. Glad you cleared that up.

Or take it to the other extreme and the people that used programs to help them create a world map should be banned. A map surely gives them an advantage.

Bottom line, everyone knows what a macro is. If they wanted to make macroing against TOS, then they need to add a number and state it clearly.

66. The use of macroing or other automated key and mouse-clicking programs, services, or hardware that allows a person to perform actions in the game while not touching the keyboard or mouse is prohibited.

They can make it sound better then that, but until they give us something like the above, they have no leg to stand on in the macroing war. By not having something clear like this they are condoning macroing without actually saying it.
    Seriously Haunt? Don't ever try to become a lawyer. Clearly you are a macroer. Otherwise you would not put up this weak defense of macros. Just so you know, it takes software to make your keyboard automated. It may be imbedded in a chip, but it is still software.

Every single piece of software can be automated if it is a repetitive task. Just because you can get away with it, does not mean you have to do it.

Another way to handle it could be making trivial tasks more interesting/less carpal tunnel syndrom causing to do and less of a $£@$!*'+ grind.

It's no wonder people get tempted to do macros when you have to spam your hide key for 30+ mins to gain 1 point in the skill. Click your right mouse key x number of times to pick up stone or fish.

Stuff like gathering static resources should be channeled instead of having to click a key each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankred View Post
    Another way to handle it could be making trivial tasks more interesting/less carpal tunnel syndrom causing to do and less of a $£@$!*'+ grind.

It's no wonder people get tempted to do macros when you have to spam your hide key for 30+ mins to gain 1 point in the skill. Click your right mouse key x number of times to pick up stone or fish.

Stuff like gathering static resources should be channeled instead of having to click a key each time.
    Hide is messed up, no doubt about it. You can definintely get carpal tunnel trying to skill hide. The rest doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Notorious could define macroing better, state what is prohibited more clearly in the ToS, and post it here, too. Then post that the penalty is something along the lines of, one warning, next time your character gets wiped, after that it's a permaban. That might get people's attention.

I agree that players should take the responsibility of reporting macroers but I also think they should work on making abilities less tedious and more engaging/interesting to use.

One thing that seems very odd to me is that folks seem to feel they MUST have lvl 100 skills ASAP!!! Ever actually PLAY a game?

I think some are reading the TOS like you want it to read.

Using 3rd party software, including the 3rd party software that came with your mouse.

Also, it is all about using programs and being afk.

Remember the tos says it is NG's right to decide what breaks the TOS of how those rules are applied.

Also remember that it says...

18. Encouraging others to break these rules... is breaking the TOS.

So by commenting on what you perceive as a loop hole, could also be considered a breaking of the TOS.