Thread: Forming Parties

Forming Parties

Let's say you want to get a group of players together to do some organized activities. It doesn't matter whether it's logging, hunting, scavenging, or PvP. Now, let's also say the group doesn't consist of just tribe members. How do you communicate with each other without having to reuse /w commands over and over?

It would be great to form a party that allows you to invite members from other tribes so we could type /p and communicate easily without using /t or /w.

And, while things like a party UI could be added down the road, it isn't necessary for the time being. All we need is the ability to form one, disband after finishing, invite across tribes and homesteads, and talk in /p.

Thoughts?

A more flexible communication would be nice for sure. It doesn't even have to be a party, just give us the ability to create chat rooms.

Yes.

That said the whole chat interface is terrible and I'd think the devs would implement player-made chat channels (like we have in other games) together with a completely new chat interface.

I'd like to see:
    - real /s local chat zone, 10 meter, 30 meter, please not more
    - your /p chat channel
    - scrollbars!
    - a background for the chat window, hard to see white chat on white snow
    - resizeable chat window
    - different chat tabs so that we can put all the craft, forage and scavenge messages away in a seperate tab
    - /r function to reply to a whisper

honestly i do not understand how people play mmo's with out using VoIP, sounds like some one doesn't have a ventrillo server, if you do then this suggestion is moot because pleople with vent dont type, unless they dont have a mic.

Quote Originally Posted by xyberviri View Post
    honestly i do not understand how people play mmo's with out using VoIP, sounds like some one doesn't have a ventrillo server, if you do then this suggestion is moot because pleople with vent dont type, unless they dont have a mic.
    Seems someone doesn't have reading comprehension skills. Honestly, I don't understand why people post on forums when they can't understand what other people are saying. This suggestion is more for parties that have groups of individuals from different tribes, duh. Rather than getting 3 or 4 people on your Ventrilo server to form a quick party, you can simply do it in-game. And, it comes based on the idea that it could be further enhanced with party members' health bars, locations, portraits, etc.

This has nothing to do with VOIP.

i'd just like to be able to talk to someone not in my tribe, standing in my vicinity, with have to /w or talk to 9 zones.

/say (15 feet around you)
    /shout (zone you're in)

of course, my walkabout yesterday evening makes those commands pretty pointless as i didn't see anyone nearby

Also, I'm not sure how things work currently, but we should get XP for kills. And, if there was a party function, perhaps it could be setup to share experience to all party members within a certain radius of the leader or the party member getting the kill? Or, maybe it simply gives the person who got the kill the full XP, but then gave party members nearby 15% of the total?

I'm just looking at ways to enhance group PvP as well as helping to organize players across tribes and homesteads.

There is nothing stopping you from having a guest password on vent/ts that is change regularly and giving the vent information to said players.

when your doing something in game it takes allot more time to type then to hit a PTT key.

Iv'e done it in other mmo's and have joined others vent servers and its pretty much required to get anything done.

Quote Originally Posted by xyberviri View Post
    There is nothing stopping you from having a guest password on vent/ts that is change regularly and giving the vent information to said players.

when your doing something in game it takes allot more time to type then to hit a PTT key.

Iv'e done it in other mmo's and have joined others vent servers and its pretty much required to get anything done.
    We have all that stuff. You're missing the point. We aren't going to force homesteaders and people unassociated with us to join our Ventrilo or GTFO, especially if they don't have Ventrilo. Besides there are more benefits to having an in-game group/party mechanic than just better communication.

This suggestion is about providing options for players. What if two homesteaders want to form up together for PvP and neither person operates a VOIP server? You're answer is that they are stupid and should have one anyway. My answer is that they don't need one necessarily because there's an in-game group/party system. Is it perfect? Could they take on 2 guys using VOIP? Maybe not, but that's not the issue.

Absolutely agree with this suggestion. More types of communication would be great, along with a " Group " system. And possibly lower the radius of general chat.