Page 6 of 57 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Xsyon Update May 28

Update May 28:

Hello everyone, here is the news of the day:

All pre-order players now have access to the game. If you pre-ordered and did not recieve an email, please contact support@notorious-games.com. Also, the latest installer link is now available here on the forums.

Our physical server upgrade is in progress. We hope to run our next update (both the download server and the game server) from our upgraded location.

We're continuing work on a big update. This includes major changes to the server that we hope will eliminate our current lag an freeze problems. The update will also include more features and quite a few updates that you all have been requesting (a hardware cursor and brighter night time are already implemented).

As I'm not working on the server code, it's hard for me to estimate how long this update will take. We have a lot of pieces that need to come together and be tested. I'm hoping it will take another week, but I will keep everyone updated if it takes longer.

In the meantime we will leave the game server running. Please continue to report all crashes (not time-outs) and send your log files from the Xsyon/Log folder if you do crash.

We are aware of most issues that are being reported, but please keep up the reports in case you do find something new.

I expect this coming week to be quiet while we focus on this update. The server may be down at some times. If so, I will announce the up and down time here.

That's all for now!

Xsyon Update May 31

Update May 31:

I've reset the game database to reduce lag problems while we continue working on our next update.

We've started the migration to our new servers, and they will be ready for our next update.

Things are going well, but we still have a lot to finish and test this week.

That's all for now!

Xsyon Update June 4

Update June 4:

Just a short update today.

The new servers are almost set up, we're busy testing major changes with the server and lots of details are being worked on from checking added skills to finishing many requested improvements.

It will definitely be at least a few more days until the next update is ready.

We'll keep cranking on everything through the weekend.

If the server is lagging a lot or having problems due to extreme terraforming, let me know and I can reset the database for those messing around in game over the weekend.

Xsyon Update June 7

Update June 7:

Hello everyone,

I just want to fill everyone in on what we're up to.

I'm waiting on a few things:

Our new game sever is still being configured. (The new download server is up and running and we're testing downloads from various locations.)

A password protected launcher / patcher.

Testing a bunch of code changes that came together yesterday.

Improved terrain rendering. This might not be ready for the next update as it could take more than another week for it to be 100% ready. Our tests so far have resulted in a 30%-50% increase in terrain rendering speed.

-----------------------

I'm also finishing up some changes to how the interface works.

In the current public build:

World objects are selected and some actions (such as destroy and pick up) are run from the interaction menu at the top of the screen while other skill actions are run from the corresponding icon (such as chopping a felled tree into logs).

Icon actions, such as sorting are run by right clicking the icon which brings up a confirmation menu.

In the revised system:

Right clicking world and icon objects will bring up a pop up menu with a selection of available actions. There will be no confirmation pop up for sorting and similar actions.

World objects will bring up the menu only if they are within interaction distance. Moving will cancel the action menu.

Right clicking objects in your inventory will add them to the appropriate crafting slots if your crafting panel is open.

-----------------------

When everything I'm waiting on is ready the plan is:

Stop coding and test internally / fix obvious bugs for a day.

Take down the current server while we transfer the player database to the new server and make sure everything is running properly.

Put up a link to the new launcher and email everyone!

I'll let you all know when we're ready.

Xsyon Update June 9

Hey guys, another update while Jooky has the nerve to take a nap :angry:

The server migration is still on going, hit a bit of a snag but nothing very serious and should be sorted out in no time. Beyond that everything is going well and hopefully if all goes well we MIGHT see something this weekend.

To acknowledge a few posts, While not enabled, animals do indeed work. I got the honor of being a bears dinner a few times. As Jooky and I have been saying we will let these guys nom you to once we get all the other problems out of the way. I have briefly tested some of the changes to the server and it is far better.

2 of of the fixes (among the many) include an enlarged mouse and the removal of the mouse lag that everyone experiences.

As for the rest of the stuff, you'll just have to wait

Xsyon Update June 10

Update June 10:

I'm still waiting to for the new game server to be properly configured. Apparently Microsoft's windows update 'security' patch modified a lot of things and our servers' security is being redone.

So as we're waiting, we keep fixing, changing and adding things. As soon as the servers are finally configured though, we'll stop with the changes and post the new build.

I'll be here as soon as it happens!

Xsyon Update June 11

Update June 11:

The game server is finally ready. The plan is:

Spend today finishing up a few things we were changing and fixing.

Spend tomorrow testing downloads and the game now that we can run it from the actual server. We've made lots of changes so I'm sure we'll have some bugs to fix.

Spend Sunday fixing problems. Then we'll shut down the current server while we transfer the player database to the new servers and check that everything is reconnected correctly.

Monday I'll send out an email and post a link to the new download.

If we hit any major snags, I'll post here with another update.

Xsyon Update June 14

Hello Everyone,

A new update is ready. There have been many changes since the last update.

New installer.

The new installer is located here: http://www.xsyon.com/install/Xsyon_I...r_20100616.zip

This installer requires your forum / game password to download the latest client.

The launcher has a few other improvements for resuming lost connections.

New servers.

Both the download server and the game server are now running from our new machines at a better location. This took a while to set up, but so far it looks like the switch was worth the bit of trouble.

Improved server code.

We've overhauled the server code and there are more changes to come. Hopefully the lag that was being caused by terraforming will be eliminated now, but this needs to be tested further. We are still in the process of optimizing the server code, but this build is a major step and has been our main focus over the past few weeks.

Crafting.

Full crafting schemes are now available through found patterns and skill levelling. More crafting materials, such as bone and fur, can be found through scavenging.

Skills and actions.

More skills and actions are available including fishing, foraging, fire starting, eating and drinking. These all tie in with cooking and a few other skills that we've been testing and finishing and will be available soon.

Terraforming has been revised with additional limitations and now adds dirt to your inventory when you dig and requires dirt to raise terrain.

Interface and control changes.

We've made many small interface changes as requested, including:

Hardware mouse cursor.

Numbered action bar working correctly.

Q and E keys for turning the player.

Right click menu for actions such as chopping trees into logs, opening ground containers, eating and sorting scrap.

Antialiased fonts.

Hardware Issues.

We've fixed problems that a few players were having due to specific monitors or graphic cards.

Bug fixes and requests.

Many bugs have also been fixed and we've taken care of a few requested features including:

Night has been brightened up a bit.

Your user / forum name is reserved as a character name.

Fixed problems with timeouts so that hopefully we've eliminated players getting stuck at Loading Entities.

Fixed problems crossings back and forth across a zone border line (though this still needs a bit more work).

Fixed problems with some crafting recipes.

Fixed stacking problems.

---------------------------------------

A few notes:

Fire starting requires flint and steel (a knife). Flint can be found sometimes, but not always, on rock surface.

Use the right click menu for some actions that previously used the top interact menu (chopping logs etc.).

Fires will soon require you to add firewood. The update loop for fires and other world entities is currently off for our testing, so I disabled this for now.

Bones, fur, leather and patterns can be found through scavenging.

You can drink from rivers.

The right click menu will soon be used for player interactions such as friend, foe and trade.

Many plants you can find will have uses that tie in to other skills... coming soon.

---------------------------------------
    There are a lot of changes with this update and with our server move we weren't able to test as much as we wanted. I expect there will be bugs and glitches.

Our plan for the next two weeks is:

Fix any bugs caused by our recent changes.

Continue optimizing the server code.

Continue working on interface improvements, such as tooltips and more item information being displayed.

Wrap up and release a few more skills such as cooking.

Prepare creatures so we can at least start spawning some bear and deer as soon as possible. The creature code has been affected by all of our recent changes and this will be one of our programmers' primary focus.

I'm also waiting on a major revision to the terrain loading and rendering. This should improve frame rate and loading times as well as the quality of the rendered terrain.

As usual, please report bugs to bugs@notorious-games.com.

Enjoy!

Xsyon Update June 14

A note about hunger:

Mid level hunger level is your normal goal. If this drops too low you lose weight if it gets too high you gain weight. The weight gain / loss process is slow and will be further adjusted this week.

Xsyon Update June 15

Update June 15:

I've released an updated server and client. This is primarily an update to the server code, with a few minor bug fixes.

We'll see the results and keep working on the problems.