Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Turn-based combat

With 300 ms real time combat system makes no sense , so how about a turnbased combat (stolen from another sandbox mmo ofc)?

For example: Let's say we have a guy with big , two-handed axe against a guy with knife and shield. When they enter combat both have a 3-5 sec meter , depending on weapon - slow big axe and fast knife. While knife will do 1 damage every 3 secs , big axe does 2 damage every 5 sec , so knife does 20 dmg per min and axe does 24 dmg per min , BUT guy with knife got more armor because of shield.

And to make it even more complicated another meter with action points for combat skills , which can be used instead auto-attack each attack timer tick. Skills differ for each type of weapon (+shield) , to make soething out of different weapon - knifes for fast attacks light attacks , clubs for slow but heavy damage , axes for something between. Also if anyday they'll add staves and magic that would leave some place to balance them.

And last thing - ranged combat. They'll fit easily in turn-based formula - n sec to pick an arrow , take aim and shoot.

So um , cons of that system except maybe a little less "real world" feel (yeah , much better than teleporting hobo with axe ganking while you stop to catch breath)?

No thanks. I've had my fill of dice rolled outcomes determined by gear, time played, and less on skill. It might just be me, but even with how broken the combat system is currently, I still prefer it over the traditional tab-target, auto-attack stuff that gets regurgitated over and over again. If Jordi were to implement turn-based combat based on gear stats and hotbar skills, I'd be moving on to other things that's for certain.

Bad hand-eye coordination and a poor connection do not justify revamping an entire combat mechanic. It's as bad currently for your opponent as it is for you.

Hopefully a few more optimization patches and a slight revamp will make it more appealing.

But God, no, enough with the highlight and key spam.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexTaldren View Post
    No thanks. I've had my fill of dice rolled outcomes determined by gear, time played, and less on skill.
    Will be anyway. Why do we have a weaponcrafters in game, recipes with rare mats, if anything they do will make same damage and battle outcome depends on how fast you are running around your target? And also why do we have leastherworkers , bonecrafters with diff armor sets if exact highlvl armorset won't change anything?
    This system can be balanced to give benefit for skill , not only quality of equipment. Already have an idea for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Belchonok View Post
    Will be anyway. Why do we have a weaponcrafters in game, recipes with rare mats, if anything they do will make same damage and battle outcome depends on how fast you are running around your target? And also why do we have leastherworkers , bonecrafters with diff armor sets if exact highlvl armorset won't change anything?
    This system can be balanced to give benefit for skill , not only quality of equipment. Already have an idea for that.
    Because there is supposed to be item decay, so crafters will need to resupply tribe members with weapons, tools, armor, etc. What I'm against is the notion that all you have to do is target, initiate hotkeys, and let the numbers crunch automatically. No more aiming or timing of attacks.

I hope for a combat system were player skills matters like in DF and not some Tab shit.

Combat should work like one of those collectible card games.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexTaldren View Post
    Because there is supposed to be item decay, so crafters will need to resupply tribe members with weapons, tools, armor, etc.
    It still doesn't make any sense for having more than weap of every type anyway. So higher your weaponcraft value - more kewl weapons which decay slower or what?
    To clarify - with this , ahem , balance it could be just 1 knife , 1 axe , 1 club , 1 <another type> , etc. Because in your vision player should benefit from his skill , not how much he is playing and how far in crafting he got , so they all do just the same damage , swings with the same speed , why so many models?
    What I'm against is the notion that all you have to do is target, initiate hotkeys, and let the numbers crunch automatically. No more aiming or timing of attacks.
    Ye , and that's why it's more complicated then just click and wait. I'm trying to think of system that won't benefit from jumping and running around , so it won't get that massive damage from lag , and still look like a fight.
    And don't tell me now that "lag-free server - and pvp is fixed". Still there is that mysterious parry and dodge moves (and skills) , which are useful for...nothing. No , really , nothing. I just jump away if i need to avoid damage for some time. And after that entire fight looks retarded

Quote Originally Posted by Niburu View Post
    I hope for a combat system were player skills matters like in DF and not some Tab shit.
    um , like this?
    Mash buttons , jump , strafe , shoot , heal , pwn. CS is more deep then this , at least it got some tactic involved , but that DF system is just plain faceroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Belchonok View Post
    It still doesn't make any sense for having more than weap of every type anyway. So higher your weaponcraft value - more kewl weapons which decay slower or what?
    To clarify - with this , ahem , balance it could be just 1 knife , 1 axe , 1 club , 1 <another type> , etc. Because in your vision player should benefit from his skill , not how much he is playing and how far in crafting he got , so they all do just the same damage , swings with the same speed , why so many models?

Ye , and that's why it's more complicated then just click and wait. I'm trying to think of system that won't benefit from jumping and running around , so it won't get that massive damage from lag , and still look like a fight.
    And don't tell me now that "lag-free server - and pvp is fixed". Still there is that mysterious parry and dodge moves (and skills) , which are useful for...nothing. No , really , nothing. I just jump away if i need to avoid damage for some time. And after that entire fight looks retarded

um , like this?
    Mash buttons , jump , strafe , shoot , heal , pwn. CS is more deep then this , at least it got some tactic involved , but that DF system is just plain faceroll.
    If you want a combat system like that, there are plenty of games out there to accommodate you. The combat system we currently have is broken. You're right, parry and dodge are pointless, at the moment. And, you misunderstand me. I'm not arguing in favor of our current combat system, I'm arguing against your proposed, tab-target nonsense.

I never said every weapon should do the same damage either. Sigh. Pay attention. Different types of weapons can do different amounts of damage, sure. And they can also have different swing ranges, and be heavier or lighter. What I'm saying is that I think you should have to aim and time your swings. The developers have already said they're going to revamp the combat system. They've also stated that Mount & Blade has a system they could pull ideas from.

No offense, but if your idea is to suggest a combat system based on Dungeons & Dragons, pen and paper, dice rolling, tab- and auto-attack... then I think you brought your 12-sided die to the wrong place.

then I think you brought your 12-sided die to the wrong place.
    I rolled 1d20 to see if this was funny. Crit!