Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Feel Good Period is Over.

Ok, Congrats...it took 6 weeks, but the game now appears to be more or less in the condition it should have been at launch (altho i am curious about how much of the increased performance is actually due to decreased pop...but thats another issue).

The other day we read this:
    We are done with server optimizations for now and will shift our focus to:

1) Improvements to the patching system that are almost done.

2) 'Baking' the terraforming changes on a regular schedule. These will be done once the patching system is updated and will greatly reduce loading times and improve sector crossings.

3) Continued graphics and frame rate optimizations.

3) A revised creature AI system that is currently being tested.

4) New combat system.

5) Feature improvements and additions!
    1. Patching performance- great. anything to lessen the current PITA that is patch day.
    2. Again great. As much as we all love loading entities, waiting 20 mins to get in game is kind of suck.
    -- OK 1 and 2 are great, but they aren't really game play improvements, they are mainly annoyance lesseners...correcting annoying aspects that the players should not have had to deal with in the first place. --

Now we get into some meat.

3. 'graphic and frame rate optimization. I hope the focus here really zeros in on sync issues. Current sync issues between players is pretty horrible.

4. AI. Really? Is this the 'keep them from all running ot the green mist' piece? Currently, i'd say there aren't any creatures visible for an ai to have any point

5. Combat System. You know this is near and dear to many of our hearts. The current state of pvp is detrimental to all aspects of the game...crafting, territorial control, defense. As much as i'd like to say this should be your primary concern...i think this is #2 behind sync. the best combat system in the world is pointless if your sync is all screwed up.

6. Improvements and additions. As a player, improvements are great, but additions? I'd really really like to see get what you have now running smooth. Get your combat system revamped. Get all your existing features turned on and working correctly (decay, tool tips, fauna regrowth, etc.). When i can tell my friends that all this cool stuff is in game, and working....THEN please add new stuff.

As much as i want to see stuff like seiging, territorial control and expansion, new abilities, etc. in game, please make what you have work first.

But yeah. Feel good window is now closed.
    The game is where it should have been 6 weeks ago.

I'd like to hear what you have planned for the combat revamp so we can stop arguing about the definition of macroing and have a discussion that might actually be worthwhile.

thanks.

Well put. Agree totally.

agreed. couldnt have said it better.

Can i have your stuff?

On topic, game was released 15th and they got a heavier pressure than expected and if they would have limited the preorder at that point they would have said no to a paid stresstest which is quite stupid..

And last time i read up on the prelude this is what its about, preparing and getting things sorted.

There is no point in pushing tons of features in while other stuff is still broken

I think my <<mod edit>> skills can be applied to this one.

"Cram it all it and deal with effects later."

Winner.

I'm not sure what do you mean by 6 weeks...the game was released on 15th of March, thats only 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    I'm not sure what do you mean by 6 weeks...the game was released on 15th of March, thats only 2 weeks.
    You are so nice... We both know none of the details really matter. Some just wanna bitch no matter what. Notice the tribe trend of the bitchers?

My biggest concern is the amount of effort they're putting into the areas beyond the green mist. We don't need them right now. What we need is for our current features to work, and for the ones that aren't available yet to be activated and tweaked. If they really focus on those things they might be able to roll out a decent patch that does more than "optimize."

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    Yea jad I'm wondering where the 6 weeks came from as well... Also for only being 2 weeks in, and this being a small developer. I can see why it would take a little time for everything to be in working condition.

Dubanka Have you ever played an MMO before? If so, you would know that there has not been a game to date that didnt have issues on launch. Even WoW the supreme overlords of themepark MMOs had a number of issues on launch and it took them several weeks to fix them.

Great Job Devs im still behind you and think you doing good work.

I love all these "it should have been smooth at launch"
    Has there ever been an MMO that, at launch, was running smooth. By smooth, I mean no lag, no weird random issues, no glitches, no anything. Just running all nice, playable and great?
    Even WoW with it's exponentially larger number of devs had tons of issues in it's first month. (Dammit, I needa quit watching tv while typing, Mizzlexx beat me to the punch! haha)
    And, I know it's been stated a couple times... 31-15=16.
    16 days < 6 weeks

We are done with server optimizations for now and will shift our focus to:
    1) Improvements to the patching system that are almost done.
    2) 'Baking' the terraforming changes on a regular schedule. These will be done once the patching system is updated and will greatly reduce loading times and improve sector crossings.
    3) Continued graphics and frame rate optimizations.
    3) A revised creature AI system that is currently being tested.
    4) New combat system.
    5) Feature improvements and additions!
    His number 5, your number 6, is Feature Improvements and Additions. I took that to mean they'd be fixing/revising/adding in the things on the Features page.
    He also stated somewhere a while back that they were working on revising the creature AI to help prevent them from running directly to the mist when they're spawned.
    The Sync issues you mentioned in regard to graphics fixes will hopefully be helped by his "Baking" terraforming changes.