I have heard some interesting theories in game. Some of them make some sense but others I think are just nonsense and I have spent some time trying to debunk them. I had the time since there is nothing to hunt.

Please post any “myths” you have heard and arguments for and against them being true:

1) Moving around on a junk pile (only taking 3) so you don’t leave a hole.
This one seemed the most odd to me but I could see it being an error in programming so I did a lot of testing. I went to 4 spots that had 1-2 “layer” of junk. Each day I went and took one item from each tile and then left that spot alone. Eventually after taking 4-8 items I ended up with dirt.

Conclusion:
At least for small piles this seems not to be true. I think people move around and because they have not made a dirt pile yet they assume this is true. Using this technique on larger piles would only make it seem more true.

2) “Digging” for flint/ chalk
I see many people in chat give the advice that if you stand in one spot and keep digging up granite etc. I have done many “tests” on this one and I am pretty sure it works the same as scrap piles.
What I did was see what resource was available (not moving) and waited. The resources seemed to “shift” based on time – not my movement or what I gathered. Next I waited for a resource to “pop” without digging (chalk) and then ran as fast as I could around the area (limestone) and the chalk stayed up in the entire area.

Conclusion:
I think that people are told to “dig” so they do. . when the chalk “pops” they think it worked and tell others to do the same. Gathering a resource seems to have little effect on what comes up next or when.

Thoughts? Additions?