Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A new player's input

Hey fellas,

Maybe some of you have seen me wandering around xsyon recently and asking a tremendous amount of questions, if you are one of those that helped me, Thank you

Now I wanted to throw in my 3 cents about the game and see what others think. I also had a few questions.

First up, the lag seems to be an issue but I have seen many threads about that so I'll just let it be :P

It seems like there is still many "holes" in the game, and things/features missing.
    To be honest I am a little suprised we are paying 14.99 on top of actually buying the game for an "un-finished" product. Wouldn't it be wise ( and bring in much more people like me ... wallet-watching poor students ) if they got rid of the monthly fee or made it something smaller for the duration of the Prelude? or as long as the game seems "un-finished"

Now regarding those missing features, here's a question to you guys. How dedicated are the devs? How quickly can we expect a new patch/features/stabilization? How effective will it be? As you can see I haven't done much research on this. It would be nice to know that the game is being furiously worked on to bring us that "finished" product.
    With enough money it would also be nice to see each "zone" hosted on a different machine ( like Eve-online) IF that's possible it would solve many fps dropping/lag issues? maybe ?

I love the direction in which the game seems to be going, I am actually enjoying it with all these things missing/lag issues. Though it seems to me that the amount of content in the game is a little small right now, I am sure that if the developer is dedicated this will change quickly.

Now, to summarize a few other things I think:

+Love the way the tribes work
    +A little hard to start of as a hermit... but I guess it must be, dont change that
    +Graphics are freaking beautifull for an indie dev.
    +There is actually more people playing this then I thought there would be :P

-Lag issues
    -Missing content
    -Give me an in-game map damn it! Or even better! GIVE me the option to "draw" the map as I explore it and then share it with other players( Trade it I mean)
    -Alt+tab is a guaranteed crash :P

That's my 3 cents, what do you guys think?

Hope not to see you in game.... unless we are trading

2. 04-03-2011, 10:29 AM

Xsyon Citizen
    C'mon, dude. Join date: April 2011. Cut him some slack.

Quote Originally Posted by GoralPL View Post
    ... Now regarding those missing features, here's a question to you guys. How dedicated are the devs? How quickly can we expect a new patch/features/stabilization? How effective will it be? ...
    Welcome to the game. Do not mind the answer of the other poster, in a game like this there always are a bunch of these forum tough guys.

To answer your question: The devs are very dedicated, hard working, especially the lead developer that posts under the name of Xsyon. Dedication in this case however doesn't mean that new features will come fast and doesn't mean that they will be all effective. Xsyon is an indie title, it's a very small development team and despite all the dedication do not expect things to change fast. Nothing can be done about it, it's the nature of the beast.

Good that you started as a hermit. Stay solo or join a small tribe. In my experience that's how the game can be best enjoyed in it's current state. In a big tribe you will miss the struggle to get things going and everything is already taken care of.

In one thing I disagree with you: the in-game map, I'm happy that there is none.

Quote Originally Posted by GoralPL View Post
    -Missing content
    -Give me an in-game map damn it! Or even better! GIVE me the option to "draw" the map as I explore it and then share it with other players( Trade it I mean)
    -Alt+tab is a guaranteed crash :P

That's my 3 cents, what do you guys think?
    While I agree with your overall point, "there is some stuff missing," I noticed the above. I suspect some of the features you may think are "missing" are done so by design. The obvious example here is the map. While there will supposidly be a cartography skill sometime, I think it's part of the point that it's hard to get around and you have learn landmarks and such. Simple things are made difficult by design in this game. It adds the rewarded feeling for accomplishing even mundane things, like eating or making fire for light.

In other words, if the features you are yearning for our things like NPCs, a map button, story-driven quest arcs, or fast travel... it will be a long wait!

Oooor maybe you're just talking mostly about skill decay, item decay, comfort, adrenaline, and stuff like that. In which case, yeah!

Lasty, go windowed mode (with max monitor resolution) and alt-tab with ease... albeit bordered :/

And laster than lastly, to your original question - you won't have to give it more than a week to see how active and communicative the devs are.

Good good, Thanks for the replies.

I see how its designed this way...... such as ... maybe we dont have maps right now but as we progress we might learn cartography etc.

I guess this could apply to content as well. as we progress we will "invent" more items, or find recipes. Its a neat way of introducing stuff I guess.

Again, thanks for the replies

The game is rather designed to have things released slowly throughout prelude. There are a lot of things missing that were supposed to be in by now but things got sidetracked when the playerbase got a lot bigger then expected right before launch and so the devs got the worst timed stress test ever... and it didn't go so good. They're still sorting out the pieces and working their asses off.

I say as long as you're not in it mostly for the PvP give it time and you'll be happy. If you were drawn in by "full loot" then you're in the wrong game, as this game is never supposed to be PvP driven. PvP is there and adds to the fullness of the game, but if it's your only enjoyment there's better places to be.

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by robofriven View Post
    If you were drawn in by "full loot" then you're in the wrong game, as this game is never supposed to be PvP driven.
    Uhm, aren't you exaggerating that quite a bit? What I remember reading is that the game wouldn't be a "gankfest". Not the same thing. Is there something else I'm missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
    Uhm, aren't you exaggerating that quite a bit? What I remember reading is that the game wouldn't be a "gankfest". Not the same thing. Is there something else I'm missing?
    Yup.

From Jordi's latest massively interview:
    What sets Xsyon apart is a focus on building and creating a new world and not relying on PvP as the driving force.
    And he said this many times on these boards during the last year.

Xsyon Citizen
    I suppose if things get in working order many of us will be testing the limits of that statement

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
    I suppose if things get in working order many of us will be testing the limits of that statement
    He never said that PvP is not important or that you can't PvP as much as you like He said that the game is not PvP focused, and that means several things development-wise. Thats why we have safe zones and thats why warfare will be opt-out. PvPers will find their fun hopefully, just like non-PvPers.