Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy My first impressions (not good at all)

The absolutely first thing that strikes me is the TOTAL lack of information about anything.

I mean I like to find out things but come on, at least give some hints. If the game is released in this state I guess about 10-30% of the people will actually _not_ give up after the first hour of not understand anything.

I do like Minecraft, but I didn't like the lack of information there either, but this game is much more complex. I wanted to go to a corner of the world where I didn't have a 100 camps around me, so I stared running. And oh my god. Why do we have to have a character that runs slower than I walk IRL (ok, might just feel like it due to bad animation but it's feels like its ~4-6Km/h running and ~2-3Km/h walking).

To spend 1h running just so you can set up a camp without feeling like you put it up in a crowded area is going to make many people quit this game (or not even start playing).

So I spend my 1h running to a uncrowded area just to find my self getting killed, by the first person I ever seen in the game and then resurrected in a place I have no clue where it is. So telling my friend how to get there ain't gonna happen. And loosing what ever I stared with I guess.

I have started the game 4-5 times (the first times it crashed, of just felt so god damn boring I logged off) and always have to play in pitch black.

The state of the game is absolutely horrible for a game that was said to be finished one YEAR ago. If I had know that I had to pay for a game that was closer to an alpha state rather than a release state a year ago I would never have bought it. I mean paying to be an alpha tester (not even close to a beta as beta have almost all features in it) just makes me feel ripped off.

Is Xsyon a good or a bad game? I have absolutely no idea, as I have only played for ~1h and have not done anything except running (not my idea of fun...) and tried and failed to use any skills. (the wipe of my character after I first made one didn't help my feeling for Xsyon in a positive way).

I have been a beta tester for 10+ games (first time I had to pay to be one though...), and none have been so unfinished as Xsyon for the last year. And none have given me so little information or help to get started.

Would I recommend it to anyone? Sure, to anyone that have absolutely no life and love feeling like a blind person exploring the world. Or trying to play chess without anyone telling you the rules.
    Will I try again to find out if it is a good game (for me)? Not sure to be honest, as I really really didn't like what I have seen so far (and that ain't much...) and just the thought of 5h+ just to get to a non crowded place and succeeded in chopping down a tree don't make me giggle of joy.

To sum it up. If I could go back in time and stop me from buying Xsyon a year ago I would. Not since Fallen Earth have I had my hopes for a game so crushed. I love sandbox games, but I have close to zero interest left after a year of disappointing waiting and waiting, with promise of just one more week or month left just to find a year later a game that I feel is far from finished.

(note to my self: Stop for f*ck sake pre ordering games and getting ripped off)

Perhaps you should read the manual and watch some tutorial videos, that would help. Choosing the proper stats helps you running faster and your running skill will increase as you use it. I agree that the night is too dark. There is a coordinate system that helps you find your way or your friend.

How do you mean that the state of the game is horrible ? How do you know what state is it in ? You said you haven't really played it, you did nothing but running around at night. You feel its in alpha because you run slow, its dark at night and you were killed ?

The alpha stage was to how it has been for a year. Not how it is now, my bad at not explaining that better.
    "The state of the game is absolutely horrible" is mostly about the totally lack of in game information AND terribly bad an hidden information on the website.

And about the manual I just have to say "Manual?". That have I totally missed that it even existed, I have been looking just a bit (and din't see any) but I just assumed it didn't exist since information has always been very very spread out in the forum and not organized properly.

And even with a manual, getting new players reading 1h+ before creating the character is a very bad way to solve the lack of in game information.

I REALLY do wan't to get in to the game, but my tries so far with crashes and pitch black world haven't inspired me. And yes I decided to look and read plenty of tutorials before giving it a new and last try before placing this experience in the "ripped of bin".

undestand what you must do isn't hard but very easy if you have 80+ QI

Quote Originally Posted by Khenke View Post
    The alpha stage was to how it has been for a year. Not how it is now, my bad at not explaining that better.
    "The state of the game is absolutely horrible" is mostly about the totally lack of in game information AND terribly bad an hidden information on the website.

And about the manual I just have to say "Manual?". That have I totally missed that it even existed, I have been looking just a bit (and din't see any) but I just assumed it didn't exist since information has always been very very spread out in the forum and not organized properly.

And even with a manual, getting new players reading 1h+ before creating the character is a very bad way to solve the lack of in game information.

I REALLY do wan't to get in to the game, but my tries so far with crashes and pitch black world haven't inspired me. And yes I decided to look and read plenty of tutorials before giving it a new and last try before placing this experience in the "ripped of bin".
    There is an information window on the patcher, it contains the link of the manual. But you can always find it here : http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...-Xsyon-Updates

Link to tutorials: http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...ul-Forum-Posts

Hope this helps.
    I hope you will get the chance to see Xsyon in daylight, its much more appealing then (at least for me). If you get looted out of your starter tools just holler on chat, you will find helpful players who are willing to replace them.

You can use general chat by /s, whisper /w name, /h for help/GMs, /t is tribe chat in case you join a tribe. Don't forget to type a space after these commands otherwise they don't work. If you need info don't hesitate to ask in game, players are helpful (well not all of them )

Hope you will find some fun in game !

Quote Originally Posted by clangedon View Post
    undestand what you must do isn't hard but very easy if you have 80+ QI
    This really makes me even more excited about the game... *irony*

It's not that I don't understand, it's that I don't expect to spend 10h+ reading in forums to understand a game in year 2011. I have played plenty on RP games (based on books) and spent 10h+ researching to make a character. But at least then it's in a book.
    My enthusiasm is just so low for this game (after a year of "one week away") that I have a hard time finding interest in spending 10h+ just to get a grip of everything, that should be easy explained in game.

If the developers have in mind to scare away new players with a complex undocumented UI and game complexity, they have succeeded admirably.
    A quick google shows that I'm far from alone at thinking this game has a way too high threshold just due to lack of information.

And even with understanding my frustration of 1h+ running in the dark to get away from the starting area just to be killed by the first and only person I have seen in game...

I don't want to dedicate my life to a game just to be able to start playing, and to find out if I like it and think it is fun to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    There is an information window on the patcher, it contains the link of the manual. But you can always find it here : http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...-Xsyon-Updates

Link to tutorials: http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...ul-Forum-Posts

Hope this helps.
    I hope you will get the chance to see Xsyon in daylight, its much more appealing then (at least for me). If you get looted out of your starter tools just holler on chat, you will find helpful players who are willing to replace them.

You can use general chat by /s, whisper /w name, /h for help/GMs, /t is tribe chat in case you join a tribe. Don't forget to type a space after these commands otherwise they don't work. If you need info don't hesitate to ask in game, players are helpful (well not all of them )

Hope you will find some fun in game !
    Thanks for the info. I found the manual with google before, but sadly it isn't a manual (in my eyes), just a quick overview.
    So I'll spend some time with the tutorials.

welp if ya want a tribe bud. spawn in Sugar Pine and pm me on the fourms. id be glad to help ya out n show ya the ropes ingame.

I dont really understand why you need a tutorial to understand how to play the game, read the manual and then launch the game. sure there could be more information about what each button does but really you dont need it.

part of the game is about exploration, not being told go here do that and learning the system that way.

minecraft has no manual that i know off, i never found one when i installed it the first time, i had to search on google to find the wiki that was player created to tell me how to play the game. i dont see why players love that game and complain here when there is a manual here.

Also for a MMO, i can't even begin to think of one that you didn't have to research the best "build" so you didn't completely fubar your skills/abilities. Maybe in wow where only level matters but not any other game.

I have played Fallen Earth and worked on builds that i spent days tweaking on the PTS server, That game you have to plan your abilities/mutations that stack with your skills and other mutations, not to mention ability interactions and which ones stack with what. you dont have that issue here.

theres only 7 stats and you pick two starting skills. so long as you pick a profession line you will be alright. dont try to be a pvp crafter with no points invested in no str/for/agi dont except to be a really good crafter with no int/dex it says what the stat is for in the manual right next to it.

I understand what u are talking about Khenke. I started yesterday. I didnt read up a lot on the game, just that it was different in many ways and that nobody really knew on forum what skill points was essential.
    When i started the game it was night and dark and I was not prepared to not have a map. I started running like you did and met a coyote that killed me. Again from starter point i ran to another place and met a player, the only one I had seen so far. I wanted to be friendly and ask a few questions, but he killed me and looted me of starter weapons and som gear. At that point I couldnt really understand what the hell to do to survive and to enjoy the game. But then I met another player that gave me 2 fishes so I could survive and another one from global chat helped me into a friendly tribe that gave me whatever i needed. Then I started to understand what to do, raising skills, etc. I was kind of hoping I could manage playing solo for a while, but without the fishing rod and weapons I would have ended up starved if not killed and robbed.
    After a day of running around, fishing, scavenging, etc there are still a lot i dont know, but so far I like it and it has potensials in what may be implemented in the future.
    I agree that the lack of info at startup could put players off too fast if they just meet trouble. A short intro to eating/drinking and combat wouldnt hurt.
    I hate reading up before starting a game, and if there is a certain build that everyone has to do, then its not worth playing imo.
    If u wanna talk ingame u can whisper me. (Boltr) We are in same timezone and i am playing afternoons/evenings.

Game fail. Fact. More you try playing in it - more you see how it empty, unfinished and inbalanced. Ask your money back and buy better game. And come in summer or later to forum and read what is game evolve.
    Now it unplayable for 90 % of subscribers.