So I took the plunge..

I've come from a long line of MMO's.. Played sandboxes before and some I enjoyed more than others, namely Ryzom.. I played Darkfall, but instead of being more like a sandbox it was more of a PvP simulator, as it seemed that what you did, you only did to kill other players more or less.. I did not like it.. I tried Mortal Online.. Really really nice and realistic game.. But for all of it's realism, it did not offer many activities to partake in, that I had seen..

I checked out a few videos on Xsyon over on youtube.. The various videos people made showing off the combat came off to me as cheesy and not really worth engaging in at all and I turned a blind eye thinking that this was supposed to be another PvP simulator for all the bloodthirsty types.. But I see I was wrong.. I watched a few other videos showing off the detailed realism of the world, the weather, the crafting, the exploration etc. and it appealed to me..

One thing that had drawn me to Ryzom so much was the world. It had weather based on seasons.. Animals migrated and hunted in packs around the world. Plants grew or did not grow based on the weather and seasons as well.. It had much immersion..

I have decided to purchase this game in a leap of good faith in helping the developers take it to other levels. I have not played it at all yet and am patching the game as I type..

If there is anything I should know before I log in, I will be happy for anyone to let me know..

I am looking forward to getting in and getting to know the world..

Cool story. Join a tribe.

Hi, welcome to the game. =)
    If you intend to go it alone for a while I would definitely suggest taking fishing so you will start with a fishing pole. Also, check out the manual so you have an idea of what attributes affect which skills.

Good Luck!

I too have fond memories of Ryzom. Loved the winters storms in the desert and most any weather in the jungle.

In Xsyon the herbs you forage will be be vary based on the season and altitude and location. Unfortunately, most of these currently have no use.

Be aware that Rysom has one of the highest density of mobs, say 2 ypsm (yubos per square meter) and Xsyon one of the lowest, say 0.5 cpsk (critter per square kilometer).

Ravelli

Quote Originally Posted by goldstariv View Post
    ... namely Ryzom.. I played Darkfall, but instead of being more like a sandbox it was more of a PvP simulator...

One thing that had drawn me to Ryzom so much was the world. It had weather based on seasons.. Animals migrated and hunted in packs around the world. Plants grew or did not grow based on the weather and seasons as well.. It had much immersion..
    If there is anything I should know before I log in, I will be happy for anyone to let me know.. ...
    Welcome, here's another former Ryzom player. And Ryzom is still one of my favourite games of all times. Whether Xsyon will evolve into a more Darkfall or more Ryzom type of sandbox isn't yet clear, might go either way.

As to Xsyon, my advise would be to play solo or in a small tribe. Personally, I would avoid the big tribes because as a member of a big tribe you'll miss one of the most exciting aspects of Xsyon: the challenge to find your own way as survivor in a new world.