Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

More robust camera system

I haven't seen many suggestions on the current camera system, but i'd like to throw some out there. When I first logged into the game, my initial impression was how gorgeous everything looked! Then I went to actually walk and use the camera, and i've been frustrated ever since.

The FoV (field of view), at least on widescreen monitors, is too "cramped" or "pulled in" feeling. It feels like a 40-50 degree FoV instead of an 85 or 90 degree FoV. I think either a simple tweak to edit the FoV, or better implemented FoV settings for different screen aspect ratios would be great. I'd prefer the ladder - one less setting to worry about!

The camera movement feels clunky, although this could be due to the lower FoV settings causing things to shift much faster on the screen as you navigate around. The Fixed camera setting in-game felt the best to me, as it was closest to other games camera systems. Part of the clunky movement also stems from the camera snapping that is currently implemented - the camera seems to snap back to wherever the avatar is currently facing as they finish doing actions.

Camera collision needs some work, as i've noticed many people mention. It can be a pain-in-the-A to walk around a crowded area or a big forest in 3rd person view (my preferred). I pretty much am forced to look at the nice leaves on tree's or their big trunks as I walk around. To help, I zoom in so I can see. This then causes the camera to feel even more sensitive as it is closer in relation to the avatar - I don't know why this is, but its distracting. Trying to look up extreme angles is also very hard, as the camera seems to never quite get the right angle it needs to view "above" you.

It is my belief that a well designed camera system will never really be noticed by the player. It is through the camera that the player experiences world immersion, and currently that is very difficult to achieve.

Great game, loving it - can't wait to see where you take it.

K

I agree issues with the camera system.
    One I dont agree with you on is the fact of "snapping" back after actions. There is a good reason for this. To prevent people from having 360 degrees of vision while running around. Its enough already they allow you to do it while doing actions (I dont fully agree with that they should) but having it all the time would be way over the top.

My other problem other than ones you noted is the fact that there is no way to adjust the speed of your mouse or camera in game. I must jack my speed up in windows for it to be effected.

Though i agree with you I dont think thats the reason because theres a free camera option that doesnt snap back.

Xsyon Citizen
    I find it very irritating that most of the time I can't see 'behind' myself far enough.. like when you run often animals (when they are around!) 'pop' in your vicinity directly behind you. If it were possible to view your avatar from a farther distance this would enable to react alot faster. Maybe because of this limit most pvp'ers usually approach you from your backside?

Quote Originally Posted by meissner61 View Post
    Though i agree with you I dont think thats the reason because theres a free camera option that doesnt snap back.
    Yep they should make it 3rd direct or 1st person modes only. Then only problem would be not able to see through trees ect.

Yes it can be quite frustrating when you're moving the camera around and you get a face full of trees/walls/random objects/mountains/etc

I would like to add about camera, when I go inside the buildings in 3rd person view, I cant see whats inside. Someone already suggested, when you enter a building it should change to 1st person view, or make the building transparent, or remove the sides and the roof when inside the building.