View Poll Results: downtime for the server

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • stagarded maintenance times (they change to keep most people happy)

31 34.07%
  • fixed maintenance times (same time ever day)

60 65.93%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    You are missing "no downtime" option. This is like chosing to be hit by a bat or by a hammer. I would rather not get hit at all. No vote from me.

"As an Aussie I don't expect DT to be in prime US play time, however I think it could be moved around on a rotating basis. Not a different time everyday as this would be confusing to players, but surely there are other low user times that could take a share of the DT on a weekly/fortnightly/monthy basis. Being so far from the server we already deal with higher ping but still want to play and contribute to our tribes. I know we have a small number of players, we are, after all a small country as far as populations go. I have quit several games because DT was always in the middle of prime play time. It isn't becasue I miss out on an hour of play but because my play is interrupted and I find something else to do. I realy enjoy this game and less than 1 hour of play a day is not worth a paid subscription (once we start paying).
    I understand that DT will always be an inconvenience to some players, whether from a particular time zone or because of their work roster, however it would be nice if it wasn't the same people everyday forever. I would feel this way if it was moved out of my prime time and another group of people were getting it all the time. I would still have voted for it to be rotating as I don't want to see anyone leaving or not enjoying the game because of DT. "

As an Aussie aswell I agree altinating times would be best but i do acept that we are the minority when it comes to players should we suffer just because of our position in the world? As for one of the above comments i will ignore it for now .

A good compromise i think is needed i dont need another EVE online where my main play times are taken up purley by maintaince.Though

"how ever we could comprimise also and rotate the fixed times on a weekly basis. one week it could be 2am PSt next week it could be 2PM PST "

Is a good idea .

I dont mind having Maintaince arround my normal play time just as long as its not every time during my normal play time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sionate View Post
    "As an Aussie I don't expect DT to be in prime US play time, however I think it could be moved around on a rotating basis. Not a different time everyday as this would be confusing to players, but surely there are other low user times that could take a share of the DT on a weekly/fortnightly/monthy basis. Being so far from the server we already deal with higher ping but still want to play and contribute to our tribes. I know we have a small number of players, we are, after all a small country as far as populations go. I have quit several games because DT was always in the middle of prime play time. It isn't becasue I miss out on an hour of play but because my play is interrupted and I find something else to do. I realy enjoy this game and less than 1 hour of play a day is not worth a paid subscription (once we start paying).
    I understand that DT will always be an inconvenience to some players, whether from a particular time zone or because of their work roster, however it would be nice if it wasn't the same people everyday forever. I would feel this way if it was moved out of my prime time and another group of people were getting it all the time. I would still have voted for it to be rotating as I don't want to see anyone leaving or not enjoying the game because of DT. "

As an Aussie aswell I agree altinating times would be best but i do acept that we are the minority when it comes to players should we suffer just because of our position in the world? As for one of the above comments i will ignore it for now .

A good compromise i think is needed i dont need another EVE online where my main play times are taken up purley by maintaince.Though

"how ever we could comprimise also and rotate the fixed times on a weekly basis. one week it could be 2am PSt next week it could be 2PM PST "

Is a good idea .

I dont mind having Maintaince arround my normal play time just as long as its not every time during my normal play time.
    Yeah, it's a great idea to interrupt the playtime of an NA-based game anywhere from 2PM-6PM (depending on zone), especially when it's very likely that the majority of the playerbase is NA. "Not."

I've had a home office for the past 10 years and have played all times of the day in many MMOs. The afternoon is not necessarily a light time of day with regard to population.

as an aussie player i use the downtime to have dinner.

ive played many MMOs and most will have downtime during what is considered aussie primetime simply because it is when all the yanks are in bed. i much prefer having it the same time every night so i can plan my night around it. i dont want to have to keep track of server downtimes, especially since even if they did vary chances are it would be over a 6-12 hour period, not 24 so id still end up having the downtime during my play hours 8 out of 10 times anyway... just now i have 8 times to keep track of instead of 1

Quote Originally Posted by dezgard View Post
    Poll for selective down time.

Vote here for what you prefer as maintenance times.

Saturday & Sunday (should the server have maintenance?)
    Your original suggested times were fine. There is no need to cater this much to the community. The proposed time is not primetime anywhere. Most individuals should be working from 6am-6pm. Also an hour is not game breaking for the couple people who sit home all day playing this game. They are the same vocal minority on these boards, don't be fooled.

Well as this seems to have been a slinging match cause the yanks will complain just have them fixed us Aussies in the minority will adapt like we always do and work arround d.t god forbid we upset the majority.

By the way Devs thanks for trying and we do apreasate it. though it seems dt doesnt really effect me cause i am a west aussie its my last hour at work . but i would still like to see it shared arround.

That's why I suggested just changing the downtime a little to this:

PDT Midnight - 1am
    EDT 3-4am
    UTC 7-8am
    BST 8-9am (London)
    CEST 9-10am (Paris etc)
    China 3-4pm
    AEST 5-6pm
    NZ 7-8pm

It's outside pretty much everyones Primetime (6pm to Midnight local) except for the Kiwis. Not only that but it also be handy for logging off any bots that some players might leave running overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by blackzilla View Post
    Your original suggested times were fine. There is no need to cater this much to the community. The proposed time is not primetime anywhere. Most individuals should be working from 6am-6pm. Also an hour is not game breaking for the couple people who sit home all day playing this game. They are the same vocal minority on these boards, don't be fooled.
    Im not saying im in a majority, just that im leaving if the downtime stays where it is.. It IS game breaking for me..

many australians can no doubt deal with having there game interupted every day, forever.. i can not
    you may say that many games have there DT in australian prime time.. i don't play them. The persistant inturuption to my game in EVE was one of the major reasons i no longer play that game.

surely some arangement can be reached so the same people don't experiance DT at a game wrecking time continuiously. These people WILL leave the game, when there is no call for them to.. even swapping the DT back and fowards 2-3 hours on a weekly basis, would make it worthwile for those people to play the game, as there weekday gaming experiance would only be ruined 1/2 the time.

9. 04-07-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_rt View Post
    Im not saying im in a majority, just that im leaving if the downtime stays where it is.. It IS game breaking for me..

many australians can no doubt deal with having there game interupted every day, forever.. i can not
    you may say that many games have there DT in australian prime time.. i don't play them. The persistant inturuption to my game in EVE was one of the major reasons i no longer play that game.

surely some arangement can be reached so the same people don't experiance DT at a game wrecking time continuiously. These people WILL leave the game, when there is no call for them to.. even swapping the DT back and fowards 2-3 hours on a weekly basis, would make it worthwile for those people to play the game, as there weekday gaming experiance would only be ruined 1/2 the time.
    Who are all of these people that will quit? Make a poll! Let's see the faux threats...?

If Jordi is going to change his original downtime for a few Aussies... The guy will be labeled with Try To Make Everyone Happy syndrome. That never works out, especially in this case.

mmogaddict -

Your table almost seems most convenient to Aussies. I'm sure no CST/PST NA people play on the weekends at midnight. Or... College students during the week and/or weekend.

Business sense comes into play here. Not just, "Well, a small percentage of players are threatening to quit if we don't change or rotate downtime, so let's keep them happy by upsetting the larger percentage of the playerbase". There is a reason why Australia gets the short end of the stick when talking about downtimes in many MMOs, and it's not about hurting feelings. It's business.

Now, if Jordi does some research and most of the current playerbase is being interrupted in their main play times, then I'd be fine with changing it. Why? Because, it would make sense business-wise.

Is there is a reason why the downtime have to be everyday? Can it be 2 times a week? Or 1 time a week?