Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Very true, Jadzia.
    Tribe vs Tribe is all well and good, and needed for quite a few people's enjoyment. But I don't know how I'd feel about a tribe 4 or 5 times larger than ours just steam rolling us.

Some of you = the British:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f36gPAfgRMU

British = Boring

Quote Originally Posted by Dade512 View Post
    Very true, Jadzia.
    Tribe vs Tribe is all well and good, and needed for quite a few people's enjoyment. But I don't know how I'd feel about a tribe 4 or 5 times larger than ours just steam rolling us.
    that is where the risk and politic of the whole thing comes into play. big tribe tries to steam rolls small tribe pisses off other tribes who he4lp defend then turn the tables and steam roll the 'big' tribe.

we wont see this any time soon tho. II doubt we'll ever see it. I think all we'll get is capture the flag in the expansion lands.

there is too much fear of losing pixels here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubanka View Post
    that is where the risk and politic of the whole thing comes into play. big tribe tries to steam rolls small tribe pisses off other tribes who he4lp defend then turn the tables and steam roll the 'big' tribe.

we wont see this any time soon tho. II doubt we'll ever see it. I think all we'll get is capture the flag in the expansion lands.

there is too much fear of losing pixels here.
    I have to agree with the others on this topic. The scenario you laid out was what should have stopped DF from having gigantic zerging alliances sitting around on their happy spots with little or nothing to do. If it were set up where the biggest tribe could just roll over anyone smaller than them, everyone would end up in a large tribe in a very short time...

P.S. I'm all for PvP. I believe the game needs it to survive and thrive and to bring purpose to the game world. And I think it's much less about "losing pixels" as it is about losing a village/tribal area that took weeks/months of time invested...

Quote Originally Posted by Dade512 View Post
    Very true, Jadzia.
    That's why you will need mercenary tribes. And there are several of us working out the kinks right now. Just to make things interesting of course.

China

Slightly back to topic. To claim a game is doomed within the first month or so is rather foolish.

1) You don't have any solid data by this point to know whether or not it can make it.

2) Early populations aren't a good predictor. There is a lot of fluctuation at the beginning. Huge start, Huge Drop off (Even the Rifts and Wows experience this), then an increase again when major patches fix things... Then finally after about 5/6 months things start to settle.

3) Many ppl who aren't playing right now are in the 'wait until some patches come out and fix things like PvP, more creatures, a few more features, etc. They aren't dropping, they''re waiting so they don't get frustrated. I don't know if other tribes are experiencing this, but I know for a fact we are.

4) These type of indie games are never gonna have the populations that the big companies get.

5) World too big. Have to LOL. Look back at the threads when the game was just releasing. Too Small, Too Large, Too Small, Too Large (I was in the too small camp by the way). Now I think its just right until they get a couple of features in and the population grows a bit.

6) bye, best of luck to you and hope you find a game you enjoy.

The only way u could fix siege warefare is this.

A tribe can only duel with another tribe and not against many.
    Only small tribe can duel with other small tribe. Once in a duel, another small tribe cant participate to help out.

Big zerg tribe cant be allowed to duel small tribe and can only attack another big zerg tribe.

As long as the siege warefare is kept to a 1vs1 ratio then thats the only way this game could work. Otherwise big zerg alliances could just gank up on 1 small tribe. Anyone else got a better solution to fix this game?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroam View Post

Only small tribe can duel with other small tribe. Big zerg tribe cant be allowed to duel small tribe and can only attack another big zerg tribe.

As long as the siege warefare is kept to a 1vs1 ratio then thats the only way this game could work. Otherwise big zerg alliances could just gank up on 1 small tribe. Anyone else got a better solution to fix this game?
    I disagree with 1v1 junk.

Not having instant travel negates much of the problem. A big tribe isn't going to want to run across 40 tiles to conquer a 3-man homestead.

Portals in DF ruined that aspect of the game. We don't need them in Xsyon, and it was once said that there won't ever be anything like that here. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroam View Post

Only small tribe can duel with other small tribe. Once in a duel, another small tribe cant participate to help out.

Big zerg tribe cant be allowed to duel small tribe and can only attack another big zerg tribe.

have you even played an open world territorial control game?

wait wait wait you have 3 guys to many we cant fight you!
    hahaha big tribe you cant do anything to us, we're little hahaha
    sand box. or wait, sorry...trash pile.

as much as i'd like to have a serious discussion about seige warfare...with a viable pvp system probably a year+ out (i mean it will take them 6 months to iron out the sync issues), a working seiging system is either a) just not going to happen b) be dumbed down to the point of 'whats the point' or c) be 2+ years out from now.

Dude , big zerg tribe can still over take small tribes. All the big zerg tribe has to do is subdivide into smaller totem tribes. And then each of those subtribes duel against the many small independant tribes around them. Fair fight for everyone.

So my previous idea about siege warefare a few posts above, would work.