Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dollar based economy....

Just curious as to why you would trade something of value for something of no value? Unless you somehow think the economy will one day grow to using those as a means of trade.

I don't keep dollars in real life. They are pointless because they aren't useful except to trade. In this game like real life, quarters and dollars are not sound money. We can always inflate them as we please.

Just like if (when) the SHTF in real life, we would not use fiat currency again for quite some time....many many years until large societies were re established. Even then we as a people may have grown enough in awareness to not go back to fiat...but that discussion is not for this thread)

Relating to this game, the fact that anyone can just scavenge something with no value (all you can do is jingle it or light a fire..but you can't even do that with it in this game) is essentially the same as printing bills. The money supply can inflate far faster than the rate of the population inflating. This is no good.

The only way this is useful is like it is in real life. It is light weight and if everyone accept it as valuable then it will work. However, that doesn't change the fact that it is unconfirmed as to whether or not their is a limited amount of bills, quarters and pennies out there. Or if it is indeed realistic enough for each SQUARE of the game world to have an RNG chance at finding currency and a MAX number of currency items per square that once it is gone, is gone for good.

The only way I could see a use is if the population became so big and so many dollars, quarters and pennies are found. But in real life there are more dollars (individual bills regardless meaning a 1 dollar bill and 20 are worth the same in terms of REAL value) than quarters and pennies so how do we know the dollar won't be worth less than the quarter and penny? Which would totally confuse people on the pricing system (although it is not likely that he gave dollars better RNG than pennies and quarters).

It may be a little early to start but if it proves to be in the future that this is the system we use (highly unlikely...we will probably have caravans and such to transport goods. That's far more realistic than humanity returning to unsound money) then I guess those who started now will have a significant advantage.

Devs could easily code the fixes to make the current dollars/coins not fiat then this light weight currency would become WEALTH not AND be used as sound currency. As the population inflates, the devs can add more junk piles (recede the green mist) so the money supply can inflate along with it.

Fyi all the junk piles in the game are already there, we have access to the full zone map all 1.6k zones about 2-300 of those are just water.

hopefully money can only be found on junk piles, in which case once the junk piles deplete there wont be any more printing money.

the reason you trade dollars instead of say dirt is because of weight. money in game doesn't have any weight.

the other reason is because its easier to translate X# Fish to X# dollar to X# tools. instead of saying that tool is worth 1.5 fish.

basically the dollar idea is the same as real world, your trading items for bill of good/services that can be kept with out having to stock pile resources to trade with. trade posts might do better trading goods but as a member of a community or a single person you have to figure that by doing this work i build up this "work already done" note that can be exchange for "work others do"

Quote Originally Posted by xyberviri View Post
    Fyi all the junk piles in the game are already there, we have access to the full zone map all 1.6k zones about 2-300 of those are just water.

hopefully money can only be found on junk piles, in which case once the junk piles deplete there wont be any more printing money.

the reason you trade dollars instead of say dirt is because of weight. money in game doesn't have any weight.

the other reason is because its easier to translate X# Fish to X# dollar to X# tools. instead of saying that tool is worth 1.5 fish.

basically the dollar idea is the same as real world, your trading items for bill of good/services that can be kept with out having to stock pile resources to trade with. trade posts might do better trading goods but as a member of a community or a single person you have to figure that by doing this work i build up this "work already done" note that can be exchange for "work others do"
    i believe i mentioned most of that. i know why currency is used. It just doesn't have to be fiat. all I am saying is they won't be sound money unless the devs make sure to take that into account when they code scrap piles.

yeah the junkpiles are in game but we cant reach them...so they essentially aren't in game.

the problem lies in when the money supply is far greater than the demand for items and when the currency becomes a store of wealth NOT as a means to trade easier. which is the current case if scavenge able bills/coins never deplete.

why should we stockpile 100,000 dollars if we only need 5,000 to trade with daily or weekly or whatever the number is when we know we can just go scavenge more at any time...from the exact same junk pile?

we should only stockpile bills/coins if we know the number of them is finite.

Well let say there is total 50K dollars in junk yards. The first 6 month the game might allow to scavange $20K, and then 6 month and on, $5K for each 6 month period.
    50K - 20K = 30K left after first 6 month
    30K / 5K = 6(periods)
    1 period = 6 month.
    36 month total to deplete the junk yards from money. About 3 real years.

Now you can use this $ money, to trade beyond the green mist with other non player tribes.

guys are forgetting the more important part, what if someone starts hoarding all the money and or starts destroying it, since it seems the only way some ppl enjoy MMO gaming now is by being douch bags. If you find something enjoyable or worthwhile I guarantee someone else will put as much if not more effort to destroy it, because some how that is fun for them. Welcome to modern gaming, we all could agree on a currency every week and I guarantee unless that currency is metal wedges or metal rods someone who doesn't even like this game will do everything in their power to destroy that currency.

We'll see who has anything to say about that statement, because I'll guarantee ya it's some of the ppl I'm talking about in that statement. And again I'm not talking about pvp here. As stated before there is a big difference between pvp and ganker/griefer=aka douch bag.

For now the system is fine at a barter system as long as both parties agree it's a fair trade then there is no need to change the system.

Basically what I'm saying is why bother trying to make a system when you know someone will eventually find a way to wreck it, just leave it alone basically.

Apache is building an economy around the dollar bills/quarters/pennis - we're not just making up numbers for the fun of it to price things - we are actually putting in a lot of effort and researching many different options as to how much value this currency has. I have to say that it's working really well and our locals seem to be taking on to it as well too, I'm just ready for a larger population of players and a 24/7 type vendor feature be it an auction style or the quest totem. Quest totem has to many problems with it to use it in full force but we're getting the leg work done so that the rest of the community can benifit once we have a complete list.

We will post more details about a full pricing list on all in game items as it becomes available.

Quote Originally Posted by boomer0901 View Post
    guys are forgetting the more important part, what if someone starts hoarding all the money and or starts destroying it, since it seems the only way some ppl enjoy MMO gaming now is by being douch bags. If you find something enjoyable or worthwhile I guarantee someone else will put as much if not more effort to destroy it, because some how that is fun for them...
    Dont worry that can be fixed. If you destroy your money it will go back into the junk pile again for someone else to scavange it again.
    Now what if you wont destroy it, but hold it for yourself? Then we need magic in this game. Like a crystal ball to show us where that money is.....

Yes I did think of that Joe, but jooky can't get server optimizations fixed, you think he could do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by joexxxz View Post
    Dont worry that can be fixed. If you destroy your money it will go back into the junk pile again for someone else to scavange it again.
    Now what if you wont destroy it, but hold it for yourself? Then we need magic in this game. Like a crystal ball to show us where that money is.....

Quote Originally Posted by boomer0901 View Post
    Yes I did think of that Joe, but jooky can't get server optimizations fixed, you think he could do this?
    have you seen the latest patch? server is working pretty good for most poeple

servers been crashing every 30 mins with rollback since patch

Initially the first day (morning) it worked for about 8 hours then it went goofy and it's been crashing ever since

Quote Originally Posted by KeithStone View Post
    have you seen the latest patch? server is working pretty good for most poeple