Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exodus

Exodus

I came into the world with a bright outlook. Even with lag and rollbacks, I was enjoying myself. I was here thinking it was a world builder. A game about creating. How mistaken I was.

PvP was re-enabled. This was the beginning of the end for me. People dying left and right, leaving their whole lot of items. Moving around to try to get resources became silly - I'm the moving target, a lone deer walking through the woods surrounded by giggling pimple faced hunters.

The game is not about building - it's more about tearing down what others build. Sure - our little patches are protected now, but it seems that it won't be like that in the future (from the FAQs). And even if it stayed where a person could have one small protected patch - to turn into a PvP free for all every time you try to explore, get resources, do any little thing, this isn't the least bit fun for me or others who came here thinking it would be a world builder.

I am not calling for the world to be changed. I only wanted a different shard, a different server for those of us who wanted to build.

You may call me whatever names you want to try to embarrass me - I don't care. I'm not a violent person. I'm not going to shut my mouth because you try to humiliate me by calling me negative names ("carebear" etc). The fact is 99% of you that call people Carebears have never been in a fight in your life and would pee your pants if you actually got in one - so in fact you are Carebears in real. So call me what you will.

Will the game survive as it is? Good question. There is an exodus happening. The second exodus. The first happened during the early lag days - they should have hung in there, but a lot left. The second is happening now. It's not fun to get killed by players and lose everything on you when all you're trying to do is build a little homestead. It's not fun to be griefed and have everything around you for resources wiped out because some person thinks it's a gas to do so. I'm not staying here to be the walking target. I am uninstalling the game after I write this post - and there are a great many that are leaving with me.

I don't understand why there can not be a second server. A lot of PvP players think that too many people would play on that server (and if that's the truth, WHY the heck not make it like that if that's how the majority of players want to play?!). And yet the truth is most people who want to play peacefully are going to leave here anyway - completely leaving the game instead of just moving to another server where the company still makes money. A PvE server would keep a huge amount of players here that are leaving, which in turn would keep a lot of money going into the company and keep BOTH servers alive.

I don't know what the whole vision of the game is - I thought it was a builder, not a griefer's paradise. If a PvE world ever appears I may be back (if another game doesn't come up to take this ones place by then). For now I bid this game adieu. I've seen no hints of thoughts of a PvE server and so there is no reason for me to stay.

Near the end of beta when people were killing each other so very much - others said "It's only because they're bored and there's nothing to do and the world is getting wiped and restarted soon." What a joke that was. The killing then was not as bad as it is now.

So here I go - joining the line of people walking off into the distance leaving these lands. The old Gods may have returned, but they must have forsaken me, as my God of protection should have returned as well.

I love the game and idea, I just hate the PKing, griefing, and such.

The ex-darkfall players may be saying "Good riddance" - and that's fine. There may come a day where you wish that this exodus of players didn't happen tho.

Bye bye everybody! Good luck to those of you peaceful types that are trying to hang in there.

I don't even understand why I'm trying to persuade you, but you do understand a PvE server wouldn't fix anything right? Sandbox MMO's are primarily driven by scarcity - scarcity for room, scarcity for resources, etc.

On a PvE server if you weren't the first person to a place, you're shit out of luck and would have to go elsewhere. What if where you live has 50 people harvesting trees and animals - how can you compete or encourage them to stop?

If all you want to do is build and build minecraft is a better game without a monthly fee for that - if you want to build and trade with other players you *have* to have pvp, otherwise what drives the demand in the economy? Sandbox games simply do not work without pvp - without the 0.0 wars in EVE the economic of EVE would collapse even though there is a way to play the game which involves minimal amount of combat. You ask us not to call you a carebear but treating pvp'ers as "PKers, griefers" is equally as biased. The fact you can't fathom why I want to stab you (personal gain, turf wars) and risk my assets to kill you is something you should reconsider.

Conflict encourages people to work together, try it sometime.

A PVE server would not stop the resource "griefing", it would actually encourage it as it would become the only way to create demand. As for PvP, I have been playing since the first week and have not killed or been killed yet, mainly due to the distinct lack of PvP.

I do not know what area you are in, but chances are you are being killed by the same small group over and over and over again. Believe it or not most PvPers actually PvP for a purpose, whether its to get a reward, for loot or for RP. As it stands there is no reward for killing players and there is no loot that you cannot just get yourself easier then spending 4 hours finding someone to kill. My guess is you are setup next to one of the larger tribes who have groups of players who go around and "protect" their borders and nearby resources.

When you look at it from that point of view it is you that is intruding on their territory and taking their resources. The smart thing to do would have been to simply get up and move away from the borders of a large tribe.

when you bought the game that you read through the content there was open pvp what did you expect pink flowers and a world where no one kills you and steals all?.
    the world is full of resources without wear for items you will find yourself full of stuff soon
    be killed every time I do not think so if you wanted a serious game pve the market is full of them.
    and in the sandbox pvp is the engine of the economy if not the game itself.
    and because the pvp is no way this game is dying.

PvPers are leaving because there is not enough PvP. Non-PvPers are leaving because there are too much PvP. Jordi, its hight time to separate the 2 type of players...with different servers or which is better, with different zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    PvPers are leaving because there is not enough PvP. Non-PvPers are leaving because there are too much PvP. Jordi, its hight time to separate the 2 type of players...with different servers or which is better, with different zones.
    Like other posters have said, whether they like it or not, in crafting games PvEers rely on PvPers to create demand for goods and services. PvPers kill everyone. PvEers PvE for their gear back, PvPers buy their gear from PvEers. Without both neither can survive.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrate View Post
    Like other posters have said, whether they like it or not, in crafting games PvEers rely on PvPers to create demand for goods and services. PvPers kill everyone. PvEers PvE for their gear back, PvPers buy their gear from PvEers. Without both neither can survive.
    Well said.

And Jazdia you told me before that you dont want 2 servers??? What you changed your mind so fast???

Quote Originally Posted by Andy06r View Post
    ... Sandbox MMO's are primarily driven by scarcity - scarcity for room, scarcity for resources, etc.
    Then, by your own words, Xsyon isn't a sandbox. There's nothing scarce in Xsyon.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy06r View Post
    ... Sandbox games simply do not work without pvp ...
    There are sandbox games that don't have any combat at all, there are sandbox games that do not have any PvP. Never assume that the recent wargames like Darkfall or MO are in any way typical sandbox games cause they're not - they're practically wargames with a persistent world and a tiny amount of sand thrown in.

Seriously in a game like this you have to pick your locations wisely. And why would you load up on stuff going out or coming in, carry less than half full loads and make sure you more than enough energy to run if you have too. I mean come on ppl it's not all that hard to evade, stick by the green mists if you have too, it's hard to track someone in the mist. There is all sorts of way to hide, if you see someone approaching you, actually go to guns or defensive stance and find a hiding spot, don't wait for someone to get right next to you before you decide what to do, work on your hiding skill and find trees (if you have any left in your zone). As long as you don't have a pre-order weapon in your backpack you can drop your basket at anytime (as long as it's not on someone elses land). There really is nothing to fear from pussy crafter gankers. And if all that fails then hire someone to grief them.

If you can't do any of these simple things then yes you probably shouldn't be playing any MMO's

These pussy gankers and griefers are only looking for easy targets, don't present yourself as an easy target and they will not attack, because pvp to a ganker/griefer is an easy win not an even match. If they think there is a chance to lose they probably won't attack. But I can list some guilds that are like this, and I can't really give them credit for an abundance of brains, so you never know

Possible solutions:
    1. Hire someone to come out with you for protection.
    2. Find a few homesteaders that are in the same plight to join up with and salvage, cut down trees together.
    3. When doing the above, set down a few baskets to drop loot in occassionally. Just don't leave them there as they are ripe for the pickings if someone places a totem down. More like a temp thing.

I'm sorry, I'll try and not tell anyone how to play, but did you think going solo in a social group game was going to be easy???? Did you think maybe you're doing something wrong, gathering junk with large PK guilds around, not paying attention to your surrondings, could be a lot of stuff, but don't blame the design, the design is the way it was meant to be. Maybe you just have to try something different to get it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrate View Post
    This is such a bad argument. PvP doesn't create any more demand that PvE couldn't create.

Let's see it.
    Say player A wants an armor. Player B wants the same type of armor.
    PvE game : Both of them buy it from a crafter. So there is a demand for 2 crafted items.

PvP game: Player A buys the armor. Player B kills player A and takes the armor from him. Player A buys the armor again. So there is a demand for 2 crafted items.

How exactly this boost the economy ??

PvP doesn't create any plus demands, items only shift ownership. If there was item loss on PvP then perhaps yes, but not as it works now. But you can implement item loss on PvE death as well, so no need for PvP for that either.

Only a system which takes items out of the game could boost the economy. It has NOTHING to do with PvP.

@joexxxz:
    with different servers or which is better, with different zones.
    I didn't change my mind.