Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Not SO modest a proposal.

Here's what I want as a short term fix to the issues:

1 - edit the features list so it matches what is currently in-game and working.

2 - no sub fees until most (80%) of the features promised for release are in-game and working.

Don't they need the sub fees to help support what they're doing, so they can move forward and get those features in the game over the period of Prelude?
    For me, I don't mind the monthly fee for a while. I knew when I joined that not all features were in and would be coming over the course of Prelude. More animals in game is something I'd like to see, and it sounds like that's going to be coming very soon. =)

i agree on no sub fees yet. least give everyone 1 more month free game time. That way u can prepare more for ingame and make it worth every1's while to keep their sub.

I'm going to include part of my PM that I just sent to one of the devs who had PMed me in regards to another thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for my personal feedback on what NG should do my STRONG suggestion is to stop trying to, as we say, "have a bet each way".

You can't claim for patience and understanding due to the fact that you are a small team of independant developers WHILE at the same time asking $15/month for a game which IS SERIOUS lacking many features.

On the same hand however I also understand that you need income otherwise you will never get anything done.

My suggestion is, that for the period of PRELUDE ONLY have a reduced fee of something in the order of $5~$8 / month.

This would help offset some of the complaints (not all, afterall this is the internet) while still maintaining some income. Also it would help with player retention.

MMORPG's live and die on the basis of 'critical mass' AND word of mouth. NG DESPERATELY needs to maintain as many players as it can while also trying to turn around the word of mouth.

A reduce fee should result in a similar or increased income as you will have more players than if you stuck at the $15 price.

The problem with a lower monthly fee is then you end up not being able to raise it back up to what you originally wanted. you can do a promotional campaign how ever when that expires you only end up with more people complaining about the price going back up.

Seriously, 15$/mo is not that big of a deal. Yes, you'd be paying for a game that's not got all the features yet. But we all KNEW (or should have) that all the features weren't in yet. And on top of that, how many people blow 15$ on drinks, food, a cd you listen to once, a book or whatever in one night, or even in 1hr?
    If 15$ is a deal breaker for you, or even 7-8$ if it were reduced, perhaps you have other monetary priorities that need to be coming first?
    I can only imagine that shit storm that would come when they tried to raise the sub back to 15$, if they were to reduce it. I think that would be a terrible idea in the long term.

If they have a monthly fee than I will just unsub until the features are in and working. As it is I haven't bothered to log in in almost a month.

I don't think people would mind as much if the price goes up later as long as :

a) the game has the content and systems in place to justify a higher fee (I.E. once it's out of prelude)

b) it is made clear that it is only for the duration of prelude

The problem with charging a full rate now is little if anyone is going to bite. We pretty much all know that this game isn't going to have everything it needs to justify a full price within the next month so you need to head off that exodus.

Alot of people doubt that NG and the game can survive (some dodgy numbers however works out at a guess they made enough from initial sales to keep the lights on for 6~12months) but despite that people are going to feel (or already do) that this game is doomed financially, hence you aren't going to get alot of subs anyway, and the subs you do get are going to be month by month. I doubt anyone is signing up for any 6 or great month lengths.

And again the other thing it should do is short circuit some of the bad feelings around. 100 hates, 1000 mollified fence sitters and 100 fanbois is better than 400 haters, 400 expired accounts that will likely never bother to check out the game again, 300 disgruntled but patient players and 100 fanbois.

You know the word is already out on all the news sites about the state of the game, by reducing the fee there will be less bad mouthing and alot of posts saying 'Yeah it's still a way off but it's only $5 / month'.

Finally in todays mmorpg market more and more players are paying and playing more than 1 game at once, a lower fee helps to keep players and also helps to attract these players, it's why F2P and MT games are becoming more popular (low entry/ongoing costs to players).

Added after 26 minutes:

Quote Originally Posted by Dade512 View Post
    Seriously, 15$/mo is not that big of a deal. Yes, you'd be paying for a game that's not got all the features yet. But we all KNEW (or should have) that all the features weren't in yet. And on top of that, how many people blow 15$ on drinks, food, a cd you listen to once, a book or whatever in one night, or even in 1hr?
    If 15$ is a deal breaker for you, or even 7-8$ if it were reduced, perhaps you have other monetary priorities that need to be coming first?
    Ok here is my CURRENT ACTIVE mmorpg bill (over the years I've paid and brought alot others).

EvE $10.95/month ($131.40 / year)
    WoW $13.99/month ($41.97 / 3 months)
    EQ2X $18.60/month ($224 / year)
    Perpetuum $5.99 / month ($71.95 / year)
    Age of Conan $8.25 / month ($98.93 / year)
    LOTRO $? / month ($199 Lifetime)
    DCUO $? / month ($214 Lifetime)
    D&D Online $? / month (have brought most of the adventure packs and options - Unknown spent, maybe $200?)
    Pirates of the Burning Sea (Recently switched back to F2P but did have a monthly account up till Xsyon came out)
    World of Tanks $0

Now granted I'm PROBABLY an extreame player comparred to some, but I'll bet I'm not the only one that plays serveral games these days. And comparred to some other games on that list Xsyon has alot less content and features. (P.S. I probably should cancel that EQ2X account, SOE are such greedy bastards.)

Quote Originally Posted by mmogaddict View Post
    -Addiction-
    Jeezus man, thats a whole lot of addiction there, if i spent that much on drugs i would get put into rehab fast. not saying its bad just pretty impressive that you have time to play all of that.

Damn and I thought I was bad for breaking from subscribing to one game for a while (WoW) to adding Rift, CoH again, and Xsyon (and since cancelling Rift). Now I don't feel so bad about maintaining two or three