Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubanka View Post
    I can agree that you shouldnt be able to destroy stumps...but not being able to destroy logs, but being able to craft them, is really a question of semantics. And again, this whole deforestation thing wouldn't be that big ofa deal if the supposed existing systems actually worked. Trees are supposed to regrow. They don't. or at least havent. Instead of arbitrary 'protection' mechanisms, how about just making the designed systems work? and put the reforestation in the hands of the players.

and the no-drop thing would be kind of ridiculous...talk about making players PK bait...so i'm out scavenging, i'm not heavily encumbered, maybe 40%...i see a char approaching me in a not friendly way. Currently, i'd drop my pack (not to save my stuff, because i'm wearing it...but because it's heavy), and move to engage. If players were unable to drop items, there is no way to shed load before fighting which puts that toon at a massive disadvantage...as compared to the pk toon who is coming expressly to fight. You mention containers being lootable and all (which would be good), but if you can't drop anything, how do you put the container on the ground?

In general...adding mechanisms to compensate for existing mechanisms not working correctly is typically a bad thing.
    Concerning the bold sections, it's more than semantics. There is some difference in requiring said individual to carry their tools (to craft from the logs) with them, craft the items, and then decide whether to keep or throw away the pieces and that same individual systematically deleting hundreds of logs in such a short amount of time. In a game that focuses a lot on realism, I would expect, at the least, the destruction of an entire tree worth of logs to take a significant amount of time.

I do agree that when all of the systems are working, this may (based on regrowth times and the persistence of griefers) not be an issue. In the spirit of remaining consistent in the game-world, I refer back to my earlier statement...there is apparently some otherworldly force keeping me from destroying rocks that are not in my tribal area (though they serve no function in the game), but I'm free to destroy a usable resource until my heart's content!

I do support the idea that an individual should only be able to destroy logs on their own tribal area. It takes nothing away from the game except the griefing behavior which is so prevalent at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Malivius View Post
    Concerning the bold sections, it's more than semantics. There is some difference in requiring said individual to carry their tools (to craft from the logs) with them, craft the items, and then decide whether to keep or throw away the pieces and that same individual systematically deleting hundreds of logs in such a short amount of time. In a game that focuses a lot on realism, I would expect, at the least, the destruction of an entire tree worth of logs to take a significant amount of time.

I do agree that when all of the systems are working, this may (based on regrowth times and the persistence of griefers) not be an issue. In the spirit of remaining consistent in the game-world, I refer back to my earlier statement...there is apparently some otherworldly force keeping me from destroying rocks that are not in my tribal area (though they serve no function in the game), but I'm free to destroy a usable resource until my heart's content!

I do support the idea that an individual should only be able to destroy logs on their own tribal area. It takes nothing away from the game except the griefing behavior which is so prevalent at the moment.
    specifically for resources: having to haul them back to tribe land to destroy is a acceptable mechanic that would slow or discourage griefing in some respect.

how ever im not seeing issues with trees being cut down and destroyed, im seeing issues with just trees being cut down period.

There should be a timer that is like 4-5 minutes before you can cut down another tree unless you process a tree into logs. in which case it would drop to something like 1 minute

Currently, i'd drop my pack (not to save my stuff, because i'm wearing it...but because it's heavy), and move to engage. If players were unable to drop items, there is no way to shed load before fighting which puts that toon at a massive disadvantage...as compared to the pk toon who is coming expressly to fight. You mention containers being lootable and all (which would be good), but if you can't drop anything, how do you put the container on the ground?
    Obviously containers can still be dropped, as can logs and bundles, you just can't drop items to destroy them, I.E dropping tools or processed goods to the ground to destroy them.

This means if your out scavaging you can drop your basket (which can be opened unless it was one of the new lockable ones - which are both limited in size and heavy) and fight. If you win pickup your shit and go on your merry way, or die and risk the attacker taking it.

The added benefit of this is it will help stop macroing crafting (though a little late for that).

So, you gather some metal looking for some screws, and all you get is large metal plates, and the suggested mechanic is you have to drag them to your totem to delete?

Ugh.

Just increase the stamina requirement for destroying stuff, and the problem will be solved. if it took a full stam bar to destroy a tree, that will pretty much get rid of the "griefing" issue, without inconveniencing the small number of people who are legitimately destroying one.

I think its a very slick mechanic if the trash piles do regenerate from the stuff which is tossed - lets get that implemented.

It's not griefing. It's just way too easy to do it. They need to greatly increase the time it takes to cut trees down and destroy stumps.

I can agree that you shouldnt be able to destroy stumps...but not being able to destroy logs, but being able to craft them, is really a question of semantics. And again, this whole deforestation thing wouldn't be that big ofa deal if the supposed existing systems actually worked. Trees are supposed to regrow. They don't. or at least havent. Instead of arbitrary 'protection' mechanisms, how about just making the designed systems work? and put the reforestation in the hands of the players.

and the no-drop thing would be kind of ridiculous...talk about making players PK bait...so i'm out scavenging, i'm not heavily encumbered, maybe 40%...i see a char approaching me in a not friendly way. Currently, i'd drop my pack (not to save my stuff, because i'm wearing it...but because it's heavy), and move to engage. If players were unable to drop items, there is no way to shed load before fighting which puts that toon at a massive disadvantage...as compared to the pk toon who is coming expressly to fight. You mention containers being lootable and all (which would be good), but if you can't drop anything, how do you put the container on the ground?

In general...adding mechanisms to compensate for existing mechanisms not working correctly is typically a bad thing.
    Realistically how fast do 50-100 foot trees regrow (actually they don't regrow, but how fast do they grow?)

I can't see it working realistically. I'd say a 3 month timer on trees respawning is realistic enough for game play to not be ruined by it. Even though 3 month x 8 only puts it on a 2 year regrowth timer when it takes decades for trees to get that tall.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalGooey View Post
    Realistically how fast do 50-100 foot trees regrow (actually they don't regrow, but how fast do they grow?)

I can't see it working realistically. I'd say a 3 month timer on trees respawning is realistic enough for game play to not be ruined by it. Even though 3 month x 8 only puts it on a 2 year regrowth timer when it takes decades for trees to get that tall.
    I think that would work, except that we'd have to start the cycle over with fresh forests and a change to the mechanics (no more deleting logs for fun, increased stamina/time factor to deforest, etc) to keep so much of the world from being empty again in a very short amount of time...

Quote Originally Posted by xyberviri View Post
    specifically for resources: having to haul them back to tribe land to destroy is a acceptable mechanic that would slow or discourage griefing in some respect.

how ever im not seeing issues with trees being cut down and destroyed, im seeing issues with just trees being cut down period.

There should be a timer that is like 4-5 minutes before you can cut down another tree unless you process a tree into logs. in which case it would drop to something like 1 minute
    Great idea! I think 10 minutes until you can cut down would another would be better. After all, cutting down a tree manually is a lot of swings and very tiring.

It would take 10 tribe members to do 1 tree per minute. Would not be so bad then.

Combine your idea with the OPs...genius

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalGooey View Post

realistically, how many times can you get hit with an axe?
    realistically how much dirt can you remove with a shovel?
    realistically how long does it take to make a road (with only a shovel)?
    realistically how long does it take to chop down a tree, then chop that tree into small logs?

It's a game. Grounding in realism is GREAT. However, at some point there need to be mechanics that facilitate enjoyable gameplay and not 'reality'.

I think haps solution would be very effective and the easiest to implement to deter the stump grinding. Instead of making new, potentially abuseable, mechanics (there is always and exploit somewhere with a new mechanic, or at the very least an unintended consequence), just make stump deletion take a full bar of stam. You slow down the process, and make the stump killer extremely vulnerable to attack. Someone killing your stumps? Hide, wait for him to destroy one, then swoop down and pummelate him while he's completely unable to defend himself (from lackk of stam).

Xsyon Citizen
    I made a similar suggestion a while back, except I was talking about stumps, not logs, and the only other difference was that the destruction timer would also be set to a minute or 2 minutes or something long to help ensure that people only destroy things they really want to destroy.

The no-drop idea is just crazy bad.