Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What is xsyon?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
    <snip. And hey, look! The next post down has Book accusing me of "ethnocentrism", thus clearly demonstrating he doesn't even know what that word means, much less how to use it correctly. It sure had a lot of syllables and SOUNDED intelligent, though! <snip>
    Ethnocentrism, it's under 'E' in the dictionary, but I'll save you the trouble since you've done so much to teach others...

"belief in the intrinsic superiority of the nation, culture, or group to which one belongs, often accompanied by feelings of dislike for other groups "

You seem to feel your inability to speak multiple languages somehow makes you, and your arguments, superior. You pejoratively point to another not being of the same language group as you are as somehow making their point, unrelated to language, inferior to yours. You feel justified in belittling another's argument merely on the basis of their maternal tongue, which is not the same as yours. You hide behind your linguistic group as some sort of proof that you must clearly be more correct.

Hence, not the accusation, but the statement of fact that you are, indeed, ethnocentric. Centered upon your own ethnicity as somehow being more valid rather than considering the points made.

Is there anything else I've said you need me to simplify for you?

The feature list was only being discussed in the first place because Jadzia has the nerve to sit there and claim it doesn't indicate that PVP and tribal war are supposed to be part of the game... as part of her campaign to blame all of Xsyon's problems on the players who bought it after being misled by the feature page.

Nobody is trying to say the features page represents the comprehensive, final discussion of Xsyon's gameplay vision. But it is the ADVERTISED ONE that players based purchase decisions off of.
    Only about 20% of the Features Page is devoted to Combat and related systems, and fails to mention FFA-PVP or warfare and sieging in any way.

Yet you claim players were MISLED because they understood that the game was all about FFA-PVP, warfare and sieging ?

The feature page also does not contain the exact words "This is a PVE game".

Thus, by your logic, since there is no such thing as implication and inference (a.k.a. common sense), it's not a PVE game.

The feature list also does not explicitly mention bears, so there are no bears.

When I go to the gas station, and the sign says $3.50 for Regular Unleaded, that means I get to fill my whole tank for $3.50, because the sign didn't explicitly say "NOTE: ALL POSTED PRICES ARE PER-GALLON".

That's exactly how much sense you kids are making.
    The feature page doesn't mention bears. Thus if there were no bears in game, you had no right to complain about them missing.

The feature page not mentioning tribal warfare doesn't mean it will never be in game. It only means you have no right to complain about being misled by it.

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by Book View Post
    Ethnocentrism, it's under 'E' in the dictionary, but I'll save you the trouble since you've done so much to teach others...

"belief in the intrinsic superiority of the nation, culture, or group to which one belongs, often accompanied by feelings of dislike for other groups "

You seem to feel your inability to speak multiple languages somehow makes you, and your arguments, superior. You pejoratively point to another not being of the same language group as you are as somehow making their point, unrelated to language, inferior to yours. You feel justified in belittling another's argument merely on the basis of their maternal tongue, which is not the same as yours. You hide behind your linguistic group as some sort of proof that you must clearly be more correct.

Hence, not the accusation, but the statement of fact that you are, indeed, ethnocentric. Centered upon your own ethnicity as somehow being more valid rather than considering the points made.

Is there anything else I've said you need me to simplify for you?
    First, I do speak multiple languages.

Second, expecting people speaking a given language to actually understand it is not ethnocentrism. Thinking that your language and culture are superior is ethnocentrism. I'm not doing that. But where the features page is in English and the discussion about it is in English -- hell, even in IRC, you're only allowed to talk IN ENGLISH -- being able to clearly speak, write, and understand English is of critical importance. Demanding this has nothing to do with ethnocentrism. It has to do with making sure everyone is capable of using the same language, can communicate with each other, and can effectively understand the language as written.

And you know what? If I'm trying to engage in a debate in a foreign language, and the people who are native speakers tell me I'm not quite following the discussion properly, I'd accept that as genuine criticism... not fall back on some ridiculous argument that they're chauvinistic about their culture.

So like I said, your 100% incorrect use of the word absolutely demonstrates that you don't know what it means.

Quote Originally Posted by jokhul View Post
    Yet you claim players were MISLED because they understood that the game was all about FFA-PVP, warfare and sieging ?
    Nope, players were MISLED because the features page implied that the game INCLUDED FFA-PVP, warfare and sieging, when it actually doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    The feature page doesn't mention bears. Thus if there were no bears in game, you had no right to complain about them missing.

The feature page not mentioning tribal warfare doesn't mean it will never be in game. It only means you have no right to complain about being misled by it.
    The feature page does talk about PVP. And tribal warfare. QED. All this despite your earlier claim that "tribal warfare is not mentioned on the feature page, nor is PvP."

Quote Originally Posted by Illmaculate View Post
    That's called a piss-poor investment. It also says wonders about your intelligence.

- the wall street journal
    Funny cause I didn't mean it as a money making venture; more as a "for fun" thing.

First, I do speak multiple languages.

Second, expecting people speaking a given language to actually understand it is not ethnocentrism. Thinking that your language and culture are superior is ethnocentrism. I'm not doing that. But where the features page is in English and the discussion about it is in English -- hell, even in IRC, you're only allowed to talk IN ENGLISH -- being able to clearly speak, write, and understand English is of critical importance. Demanding this has nothing to do with ethnocentrism. It has to do with making sure everyone is capable of using the same language, can communicate with each other, and can effectively understand the language as written.

So like I said, your use of the word absolutely demonstrates that you don't know what it means.

Nope, players were MISLED because the features page implied that the game INCLUDED FFA-PVP, warfare and sieging, when it actually doesn't.

The feature page does talk about PVP. And tribal warfare. QED. All this despite your earlier claim that "tribal warfare is not mentioned on the feature page, nor is PvP."
    Which part was not clearly written or spoken? You assume they must not be understanding clearly because they do not agree with you. You only brought up the language barrier as your frustration mounted that not everyone sees it as you do. As I said, rather than sticking to the points made, you chose to belittle based on supposed language comprehension, which you continue to do. Your feeling of superiority almost matches my own.

Fact is, a majority of your posts resort to belittling people who don't agree with you. One would hope you are capable of more than that, but hopes, as you well know, do not make reality... which is why what you hope to see on the features page, does not make it reality... even if you are "a full-blown English speaker." Congratulations by the way.

This is not a language issue, you can hide behind that as long as you like, just as you can continually complain about a game you don't like. It really doesn't have much of a bearing, and yes, it is entirely a waste of your time.

Xsyon Citizen
    To be fair, it could well just be the language barrier. I'm sure she's brilliant in... I dunno... Dutch?

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    I agree with this. Thats why its important to notice that the fature page doesn't advertise PvP and tribal warfare. And its not only me, everyone who can read and not that biased as you are see that.
    "Everybody who doesn't agree with me is wrong! Only I can be right! Everyone else who doesn't see that is biased which makes them wrong!"

You even agreed with Sirius that one of the copy and pastes he made referenced PvP. Therefore it is on the feature page which means... you are wrong and are now just trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Illmaculate View Post
    I thought we already established you have the reading comprehension of a small child. Why can you not admit that? You can't read English and you can't write English. Engaging in a battle of wits with people who clearly have more command and understanding of the language probably isn't your best option.
    How original.

<snip>
    Implied ?

How ?

How on earth did the Feature List imply that the game "INCLUDED FFA-PVP, warfare and sieging" ? Please quote the relevant part that implies the above ?

Or did you extrapolate that from the fact that there is Combat mentioned in the Feature List ?

Nobody that read ONLY the Feature List could possibly be misled about the nature of Combat in Xsyon, except perhaps in expecting there to be MUCH LESS of it than there actually is.

However, anyone that read the forums would have gotten an entirely different picture from the one painted in the Feature List, I'll grant you that. But most of the forum posts were player opinion and arguments about what shape Combat SHOULD take in Xsyon. Hell, "full-loot" isn't even mentioned in the Features, lol