Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone know a good codec for fraps AVI?

Well when I fraps I get huge AVI files (1 minute = 2 gigs!) and when I render them into smaller files that can fit on YouTube I lost quite a bit of quality.

Someone on here must be experienced with fraps and converting these amazing quality AVI files. I see people upload 1080p videos all the time that actually look 1080p. Or at least 720p.

I was using Vegas 10.0 trial for a bit and it produced decent quality but I may have just had the settings wrong. But that's not an option for me anymore.

So I don't know what to do to. At this point I don't care about editing the videos I will just post raw footage but I need the file sizes that are AVI to be much smaller.

Thanks in advance.

With Fraps set the frame rate to 29.9FPS
    For Youtube you need to upload using either MP4 or WMV to prevent quality loss.
    You want to set your client resolution to a 16:9 ratio so 1280x720 is 720p @29.9FPS that will give you the nice wide screen with out letter boxing.
    Remember youtube adds its own letter boxes so you want to send just image only with no black bars to youtube for processing.

Specifically for Sony Vegas use these export settings:
    WMV
    [IMG]http://img696.yfrog.com/img696/74/hdrendersettings.jpg[/IMG]
    -OR-
    MP4
    [IMG]http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/2421/mp4settings.jpg[/IMG]

Watch this video too:
    [video=youtube;OZsSLcvFWfc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZsSLcvFWfc[/video]

Really appreciate the great info. Will be trying this out soon.

1080 can be done you can up convert the resolution, but to be honest for quick videos your going to load to you tube most wont even go full screen and if they do, your not going to notice much of a diffrence between 720 and 1080

I came out with a 6 min video that is 30mb and pretty terrible quality. I think 1440x1080 res

Keep in mind I record I play in 1900x1080 resolution

[i]Added after 8 minutes[/i]:

and I have been recording with 60 fps settings on fraps

[i]Added after 7 minutes[/i]:

I have 2 gigabyte to work with here (Youtube limit) so obviously this is still way too shitty of quality

record it at 29.9 because thats the frame rate for 720 and 1080 even if your get more that 30fps you still want to record it at that rate because then you app doesn't have to resample the video.

im using Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum and the default wmv export at 6mbps, the profile i use for starting the project in that application is Internet HD which is Video: 1280x720, 29.970 fps progressive. same settings as those up under WMV rendering.

for 10minutes of video i get about 13.5GB of video that gets turned into a wmv same length and 430MB, that takes about 30minutes to upload to youtube and it starts to convert as its being uploaded so you could be ready to watch it as soon as its done. then the conversion up to 460 and then 720 is about another 5 minutes

for 1080 try seeting your resolution to 1440x1080 or 1920x1080

[QUOTE=xyberviri;78761]record it at 29.9 because thats the frame rate for 720 and 1080 even if your get more that 30fps you still want to record it at that rate because then you app doesn't have to resample the video.

im using Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum and the default wmv export at 6mbps, the profile i use for starting the project in that application is Internet HD which is Video: 1280x720, 29.970 fps progressive. same settings as those up under WMV rendering.

for 10minutes of video i get about 13.5GB of video that gets turned into a wmv same length and 430MB, that takes about 30minutes to upload to youtube and it starts to convert as its being uploaded so you could be ready to watch it as soon as its done. then the conversion up to 460 and then 720 is about another 5 minutes

for 1080 try seeting your resolution to 1440x1080 or 1920x1080[/QUOTE]

1440x1080 is BAD.

Do 2048×1152, 1920x1080, 1600x900. 1680x1050.
    Out of those only 2048, and 1920 are the only 2 that are 1080p able without "faking" it. Faking is where you take a lower version and beef it up into a higher version which really is not making it look better.
    Those are 16:9 or 16:10.

4:3 (AKA 1.33) is not good, comes out looking almost like a square and wont look great. If you then try to convert it or compress it, it even looks worse.

For true 1080p you must have a good computer, with lots of Hard drive space. It also takes a good while to compress it without loss, and then it will take 2x more time to upload than 720p.

I play Xsyon at 100 frames per second, 12g ram and gtx 580. i can play two accounts, render and warband at the sametime still running 40 fps..everything max settings

I have 2 terrabytes of space.

I tried rendering at 1920x1080 and it is much better, but still something seems wrong. The file size is now only 455mb for 6 minutes.

Assholes at YouTube of course block my music

Here is my most recent attempt

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0GGmw3oNUg[/url]

[i]Added after 5 minutes[/i]:

I remember back in the day (lol) I used to make halo 2 videos and such but we used a program called VirtualDub and the codec was DivX I believe. I remember having the smallest most high quality files I could imagine back then. I've lost all my sense for that kind of stuff since it has been years since I have made edited videos.

I know that the problem is everything to do with the render settings and nothing to do with the raw AVI. The RAW AVI is better than anything I've ever seen, it's actually much better quality than the actual game play. I just screw up when it comes to rendering

[QUOTE=NorCalGooey;78770]I play Xsyon at 100 frames per second, 12g ram and gtx 580. i can play two accounts, render and warband at the sametime still running 40 fps..everything max settings

I have 2 terrabytes of space.

I tried rendering at 1920x1080 and it is much better, but still something seems wrong. The file size is now only 455mb for 6 minutes.

Assholes at YouTube of course block my music

Here is my most recent attempt

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0GGmw3oNUg[/url]

[i]Added after 5 minutes[/i]:

I remember back in the day (lol) I used to make halo 2 videos and such but we used a program called VirtualDub and the codec was DivX I believe. I remember having the smallest most high quality files I could imagine back then. I've lost all my sense for that kind of stuff since it has been years since I have made edited videos.

I know that the problem is everything to do with the render settings and nothing to do with the raw AVI. The RAW AVI is better than anything I've ever seen, it's actually much better quality than the actual game play. I just screw up when it comes to rendering[/QUOTE]

You really dont want to record at 100FPS if you dont have too. Great that you can play that, but really you going to compress it down to 29.9 anyways why record higher?
    New fraps doesnt need the played FPS to match the recorded anymore.

There are better ways to record and do this.

I use myself Vdub (VirtualDub) when Im in a hurry, or Sony Vegas when I want to add any special stuff. Like extra music, fade in's or outs etc.

You cant get better quality from RAW AVI than what you seen in game, it records it from the game =P That doesnt even make sense haha.

I don't record at 100 I had it set to 60 for this video. But I will tone it down to 29.9

It seems like it is better quality really it does...i dont know..so why does my 1080p not look like 1080p? is it because I frapsed in 60 fps? I rendered in 8 mbps 1900x1080 wmv. I think I also set the frame rate to double so 60 fps in render as well