Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    memory failed me, fact check, server was vindication, not corruption...not that it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    I think this is an excellent post. I'm not against players being safe, but there has to be some consequence to it. One of the reasons Eve is doing so well is because those developers knew that making some of the universe safe would encourage more people to play it. At the same time, those players are very limited in where they can build and the resources they can acquire. And those safe players can always choose to move into the unsafe areas whenever they want to and vice-versa. It greatly increases a player's choice of activities.
    This system is the one that's always worked best. The same system has been used for two decades almost and it's still the best. I still play a text-based MUD (that I've played since 1995) that has three types of areas...LPK (Lawful - Safe), NPK (Neutral - PK, but no loot), and CPK (Chaotic - FFA PVP w/ Full Loot). The best resources are always in the CPK areas! It works!

I thought about this some, and at first I was thinking I would feel pretty bad if someone took over the place i had spent many hours building. And I guess I would feel bad if they just took it over and destroyed everything, but that would be their choice. If it was made well you could hope they might keep it how it is with just a few changes.

What it would do would give you a chance to go and build something in a new place, maybe far from your old place.

If totems were contested I think it would be good maybe that if one was taken over, the new owners should not be able to destory anything maybe for a whole week. Giving the previous owner a chance to retake it without it being destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by goodayve View Post
    I thought about this some, and at first I was thinking I would feel pretty bad if someone took over the place i had spent many hours building. And I guess I would feel bad if they just took it over and destroyed everything, but that would be their choice. If it was made well you could hope they might keep it how it is with just a few changes.

What it would do would give you a chance to go and build something in a new place, maybe far from your old place.

If totems were contested I think it would be good maybe that if one was taken over, the new owners should not be able to destory anything maybe for a whole week. Giving the previous owner a chance to retake it without it being destroyed.
    a remodel timer on a captured totem

of course, that would jsut mean if i was going out to destroy your stuff i just wouldnt actually capture yhour totem until i'd leveled your city ...but taht would give you more time try to to stop me....since that should take a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubanka View Post
    memory failed me, fact check, server was vindication, not corruption...not that it matters.
    Vindication was an abortion (Loreplay)

Quote Originally Posted by Dubanka View Post
    a remodel timer on a captured totem

of course, that would jsut mean if i was going out to destroy your stuff i just wouldnt actually capture yhour totem until i'd leveled your city ...but taht would give you more time try to to stop me....since that should take a long time.
    Yea, but they wouldnt be able to teraform anything during the time. I dont know how everything is planned to work, I guess you will probably be able to destory peoples walls and buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelTEE3 View Post
    What a worthless warfare system that would be.

The whole point of a Conquest feature is that... you know... things get conquered. People will lose their land if they dont fight for it. Get used to that idea. I can attest to its success in Darkfall and others can attest to it's success in other mmos. I personally was involved in the manual building of a huge city in Darkfall, at launch of EU server, called kvitstein. The first two or three weeks all any of the 30 of my guild did was build that city. Eventually we just gave it up, and i had to accept the fact that something i wrought with my hands and time was taken from me. Its happened over and over. The only people in that game that cry about losing their land are the ones who deserve to lose it.

This system is counter balanced by the community itself. In darkfall, when a small guild with a small plot of land got sieged by a large clan with a zerg of members, the server knew about it, and many, many times, the server would respond in defense of the small guild against the zerg. There is a big public relations penalty for zerging down small clans with their own little properties in darkfall and id bet it would happen here too.

Nothing would be a greater disappointment than a conquest system where nothing is conquered.
    Take a look at what you said and realize that will never come to fruition.

So since Hopi is 3x bigger than our tribe what if they turned out to be evil and could take over our totem and 100s of hours of work we put into our lands?

Get real, only expansion totems will be the only totems able to be conquered.

Otherwise they will have no player base. If you don't get that you don't get anything.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    What the heck are you talking about, why would anyone want that system? Areas that shouldnt be taken over are only the starting areas, the rest should be free game.

People quit for a lot of reasons, I tell you right now if they were to change it to the way you were talking tons of people wouldnt even start. You need to protect the lands you built.
    Back on topic to the OP.

Yes the whole point of totems is to prevent people from messing up your lands, and giving tribes a place to work without being "greifed". What Im talking about is where, one night someone comes in and covers over your whole junk pile, or cuts all your trees down, or digs holes all over your land.

All totems will be contestable. If you want to keep it, then make friends, or have a good defense. Another option is to build it where people wont want it or find you.
    I expect (hope and pray) that taking a totem will be long and hard, not something that a few people can do in a few hours. Because it takes many people many hours of hard work to put them up. It should take 10x or more effort to take down a totem area fully than it does to fully put one up IMO.
    But if the resources/location/want is great enough people will do it. People shouldnt be attacking other totems often just for the thrill of it. It should be a planned hard choice.
    Again you are wrong. You are creating a game that has mega tribes and nothing else. So if I the tribe is not online and attackers get on at 4am and capture 100s of hours of work...you honestly believe that this tribe is going to all go pick a new location and spend 100s more hours only to have the same thing happen again. you need to think logically. Hell, even those hardcore homesteaders might not restart.

Sorry but this isn't how the game will end up working. Expansion totems and all land that comes with said expansion totems will be capture able but not the first totem ever placed by the tribe.

get a grip you obviously have no clue how to develop a game and hold a player base. good luck getting even 100s of players to play this game with all totems capture able.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalGooey View Post

get a grip you obviously have no clue how to develop a game and hold a player base. good luck getting even 100s of players to play this game with all totems capture able.
    So why not go play the SIMS? Good luck getting a 100 people to play now!

Try and keep it constructive guys.

Thank you
    Dezgard

I meant if the game was fully working everything implemented kick ass combat system...but everything capture able, there still wouldn't be a chance of anyone playing. Unless it was tribe of 500 players vs tribe of 500 players but in a system like that it's inevitable that mega tribes own the game but no one wants to be forced into a huge tribe or to go live on hermit hill...some people like the middle ground

Why play the SIMS? If i want to design a house I'll use CAD software.

And back to the totem thing, I shouldn't have to make this game my whole life just so I can keep my invested hours from going down the drain...(aka play round the clock and have a large tribe just to protect the totem from losing everyone in the tribes invested time)

that is turning the game from play to work