Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by orious13 View Post
    Maybe to avoid alt towns that just mule up the valuable resoucres, make these most valuable resources have to be mined and used in only the non-safe area.

What I mean is:

A) You set up your tribe in the "PvP-no safe" area.
    B) In order to find the unobtanium you must use a territory control totem that has the added option (instead of usually tribe/quest system) to search for whatever type of unobtanium you want/need.
    C) In order to gather this so that you can use it, you must have a "stockpile" or "furnace" built in your main totem area.
    D) The unobtanium is automatically transported to your main totem "stockpile".
    E) This unobtanium (rock version) has a durability of 5/5. If you remove it, after 5 game hours it turns into normal granite or whatever resource..or after you pass through the green mist into "safe-PvP" area.
    F) This means you basically HAVE to craft it in your no safe area.
    G) The safe area players will have to discover some sort of politics that makes it possible for the no-safe people to want to trade them or allow them permission to craft in their place....set up a tax or something. Maybe make it so that more mobs are in the safer area (there is still open pvp in the wilderness). Saying more mobs doesn't mean the best ones. There could be highly difficult bosses mostly in the no-safe areas.

Edit:
    Seems like implementing some of this stuff will take a bit of work, but trying to find a solution is better than...not.
    What about having the unobtanium (like the name btw) be specifically useful to pvp?

Say smelting ore. You can use the ore to make iron arrow heads that are stronger than obsidian or flint arrow heads. Having access to this ore gives a pvp tribe in the pvp area a good advantage over a wanted resource that shreds through armor more effectively.

The attacking tribes that want to take over that resource can still use obsidian arrow heads, but they will need a higher quantity since they are not as effective.
    Obsidian is more plentiful in the safe area. It's adequate for hunting and such. A pvper doesn't want to waste too much time in the safe area (even with alt) having to gather obsidian so they trade with the safezone folks for it.

Say tar is only available in the pvp area. It's useful for trebuchets and other siege weapons. It can be poured over walls to stop an incursion. Tar is something tribes want to fight over for the strategic advantage.

People in the safe area still want it though, to make torches. Easier to get leather in the safe area as hunting is a bit safer so they trade the tar for the leather.

Just examples. Kind of follows the EvE model, I think.

As Jadzia mentioned elsewhere, food production might be easier in the safe area and let's face it... tending the field is a bit carebearish so that seems appropriate. Food that is very perishable becomes a great commodity for trade.

One question though (because I'm not creative enough to think of more )
    Why have the unobtanium automatically transported?
    Would this not cut down on the chances for ambush and other pvp goodness?

I'm thinking there should be specific areas allowing trade between safe and unsafe so that pvpers have a chance to be vulnerable and exposed more often. It should require a great number of them to safely transport cartfulls of maize back to the castle, and an adequate number to mount a successful ambush.

Quote Originally Posted by Book View Post
    What about having the unobtanium (like the name btw) be specifically useful to pvp?

Say smelting ore. You can use the ore to make iron arrow heads that are stronger than obsidian or flint arrow heads. Having access to this ore gives a pvp tribe in the pvp area a good advantage over a wanted resource that shreds through armor more effectively.

The attacking tribes that want to take over that resource can still use obsidian arrow heads, but they will need a higher quantity since they are not as effective.
    Obsidian is more plentiful in the safe area. It's adequate for hunting and such. A pvper doesn't want to waste too much time in the safe area (even with alt) having to gather obsidian so they trade with the safezone folks for it.

Say tar is only available in the pvp area. It's useful for trebuchets and other siege weapons. It can be poured over walls to stop an incursion. Tar is something tribes want to fight over for the strategic advantage.

People in the safe area still want it though, to make torches. Easier to get leather in the safe area as hunting is a bit safer so they trade the tar for the leather.

Just examples. Kind of follows the EvE model, I think.

As Jadzia mentioned elsewhere, food production might be easier in the safe area and let's face it... tending the field is a bit carebearish so that seems appropriate. Food that is very perishable becomes a great commodity for trade.

I'm thinking there should be specific areas allowing trade between safe and unsafe so that pvpers have a chance to be vulnerable and exposed more often. It should require a great number of them to safely transport cartfulls of maize back to the castle, and an adequate number to mount a successful ambush.
    All good ideas but dont work if you can place a totem that makes insta safe area anywhere you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanover View Post
    You want everything, while risking nothing. Why are "we" able to operate outside the bubble while you are not?
    I'm not sure it's a question of ability as much as a question of choice.

I used to be on the frontlines yelling out "Yarr!!" and heading straight in fists first. I used to be in the back room making plans of how best to take out a 15 man squad with my 3 man crew. Got to the point I was nicknamed centurion because my answer was always the same... "^*($## Just gimme five minutes with the lil #$*(*&" You know? Been there, done that... burned the T-Shirt. Didn't take it off first neither.

I'm all for other people having that experience if they want it, their choice for sure.
    Me? Not so much for the confict and drama anymore. Time to hang the blades and let the youngbloods handle it. I know there's other games, but I like this one, and I'm still hopeful it can be worked out. If it can't? No biggie, not trying to steal anybody's warrioring fun.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    All good ideas but dont work if you can place a totem that makes insta safe area anywhere you want.
    I agree MrDDT. Would only work if there's a very sizeable, fully workable, and very enjoyable area where the notion of safe is a blade under your pillow at night and that's it.

Yes many types of unobtanium is good...I think all or most of the building type of rare resources should be more in the safe area and the PvP or Combat resources should be in the PvP area (along with the higher end reagents)...might suck to carry all of those logs so maybe not. That or whatever can make the no-safe people want to come back to the safe area and vice versa.

Simply to stop PvP guilds to seek to exploit the safe zone areas with alts that only horde in resources. If rare resource durability degraded very fast either at all times or just in the safer area (My gold turned into stone...what is this trickery!), it'd be ok to not have it automatically accumulate in the main territory. But the reason I said for it to accumulate automatically is so that there are two siege facets to take advantage of. You have the territory control that pretty much IS the mine (1 mine per expansion totem or multiple mines that gather exponentially smaller amounts of goods) and you have the "Stockpile" where if you remove its contents or expose its contents to the world, they degrade rapidly. You could just scrap the auto portion and make it so that the only viable territory expansion is one that is very close to your main or ally totem (unless it has to be that close anyway) because one further away would mean all your gold might turn into rocks before you can stock it. I agree it would be more fun to have to carry it around.

The siege facets would be to attrit their territory expansion(s) to a "dis-functioning" state and so that the defenders eventually run out of their resources, and the ability to war them with the thought ONLY to destroy their stockpile to weaken them so that your next assault would be more effective.

I think some of yall are trying to make it way more complicated than it needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    I think some of yall are trying to make it way more complicated than it needs to be.
    This doesn't help the matter. Give an example or an idea that is less complex. I agree my ideas are complex-ish... Starting off big and condensing is better than starting off small and trying to add things to make a circle...more round.

Quote Originally Posted by orious13 View Post
    This doesn't help the matter. Give an example or an idea that is less complex. I agree my ideas are complex-ish... Starting off big and condensing is better than starting off small and trying to add things to make a circle...more round.
    the simplest solutions are typically the best...because they are the easiest to understand and implement

the simplest solution here is that everyone needs to be accountable.

or else no one needs to be accountable.

If it is split accountability, then no one will be accountable.

Why does anyone need to be accountable for anything? Without accountability there is no point. Without a point, there is, for many of us, no game.

what this 'debate' is really, it's not pve vs pvp, it's whether this is a sim, or a game.

splitt servers , one with safezones one with none.
    Why? : because neither side is willing to share any sand. Theyre more busy leaving poo in the sand of the guy that opposes their opinion.

9. 04-26-2011, 01:05 PM

I'm not sure it's a question of ability as much as a question of choice.
    That's the thing, there is a choice. You can either risk it for glory or cower in the bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by temur View Post
    splitt servers , one with safezones one with none.
    Why? : because neither side is willing to share any sand. Theyre more busy leaving poo in the sand of the guy that opposes their opinion.
    I can see your point, but I like the ideas being developed surrounding trade between the warfronts and the peaceful areas... similar to EvE in some respects.

By the way, cow poo makes great fuel for fire in a pinch... just sayin'.

Added after 5 minutes:

Quote Originally Posted by Hanover View Post
    That's the thing, there is a choice. You can either risk it for glory or cower in the bubble.
    hehe, fightin' words to be sure, and were I a bit more of a lad, I'd surely would have enjoyed engaging... . See it as you wish, I'm sure you understood what I was saying.

Any thoughts on some of the ideas put forth? Do you see any that would allow you to enjoy a more hardcore pvp aspect of a game while allowing others a different choice... without treading on your own choice since that's what I think people are trying to get at.