Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why couldnt Xsyon be more like this....

Xsyon is currently the nitch of the nitch market. And thats bad. Its trying to be a post-apocalyptic game based in a real part of the world, that is currently very uninteresting and used as a vacation spot for the rich and useless.

Why not redirect Xsyon into a more post-apocalyptic sci-fi, colonization game. Like the ever so bad BBC series "Outcasts" or the old show "Earth2". Where instead of being a bad "Riverworld" knock off, it could be a game of new chances, and a new beginning. Where you didnt die at the end of the world and began again in a pseudo native American, wild west meets the Stone age.

I try HARD to like Xsyon, but its just not there for me yet. And the biggest part of the turn off is the look, and setting. I glance up at the top of the page and I see, tree head bushman and bone warrior and I think, "Oh god, what is that?"

Go play Earthrise?

There's already two or more sci-fi post apocs.

I actually like the setting of the game - am glad it's not all browns as well. I think some of the scenery is great.

Actually its not like you go out into California and Nevada, were on a huge island basically that sits in a ocean or even larger lake. its like the rest of the world broke off and fell into the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by xyberviri View Post
    Actually its not like you go out into California and Nevada, were on a huge island basically that sits in a ocean or even larger lake. its like the rest of the world broke off and fell into the ocean.
    Are you talking about Xsyon? Because thats nothing like Xsyon. There is land all around us in Xsyon. Its the mist keeping you back. If you run out into the mist you will be on land still not water.

To the OP.
    I have no idea what you are talking about, but I dont agree with what I do understand. None of that really makes sense the game is what the game is.
    I look at the top and I see those things in game they are people in armor.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    To the OP.
    I have no idea what you are talking about, but I dont agree with what I do understand. None of that really makes sense the game is what the game is.
    I look at the top and I see those things in game they are people in armor.
    Werent you banned from Roma Victor for hacking?

But thats besides the point...

The problem is those two characters at the top of the web page are out of place, and horrible. Why if I suddenly died in the end of the world in 2012, would I wake up and want to be a native american ferry tale? And not a good one at that.

Quote Originally Posted by orious13 View Post
    Go play Earthrise?

There's already two or more sci-fi post apocs.
    Uh... Earthrise really isnt a sandbox. I am going to guess you have NO clue what Earth2, or Outcasts is, they are shows about colonists starting over on a Earth like world. Even one of the most popular games of all time, Sid Miers "Alpha Centuari" had the same setting and made it work, quite well. Even though it was just Civilization on a new world.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodo View Post
    The problem is those two characters at the top of the web page are out of place, and horrible. Why if I suddenly died in the end of the world in 2012, would I wake up and want to be a native american ferry tale? And not a good one at that.
    You'd wake up and figure out you are a person that has instincts...nothing more. You don't have a choice. There's no power...no machines. Just pieces of junk from things that you've never heard or seen of before. That's the setting. If you remembered everything and were like "shit man..I wish I had a laser gun"...well try hard to make one when you can't find any batteries, chemicals, or electronics.

Sci-fi wouldn't make sense from an immersive stand point.

There's a story to this game, too, you know. It's not just about cutting grass for baskets. Look at the game description. Look at the art and iconography. Shamanism is coming, animal taming, a good many thing that will have more to do with the less visible aspects of the environment. This is a niche game, but because it's post apocalyptic, doesn't mean it's necessarily treating that in the way a more theme-park MMO would. We have a world to discover; if that isn't your trip, maybe you should be playing Fallen Earth or a SF setting game, sure.

But the devs just put in a bunch of (wo)manyears developing this. Saying "Hey, let's just change it!" is a little disrespectful to the huge amount of effort on the part of art, modeling, code, and world-building/story that has been laid down already, with more in the pipeline. Really, you can't change skins on a 3D game like you would on WinAmp or something!

yrs
    Shava/Ani

Quote Originally Posted by orious13 View Post
    You'd wake up and figure out you are a person that has instincts...nothing more. You don't have a choice. There's no power...no machines. Just pieces of junk from things that you've never heard or seen of before. That's the setting. If you remembered everything and were like "shit man..I wish I had a laser gun"...well try hard to make one when you can't find any batteries, chemicals, or electronics.

Sci-fi wouldn't make sense from an immersive stand point.
    Uh, sci-fi would make sense... It works for Alpha Centuari.... You can even say it works for Firefly, you know the TV series that oh so many people loved, but was canceled. And in some ways it would make MORE sense, seeing as I am suddenly able to throw down a structure that is obviously prefab. And spend maybe a hour on building it and its DONE.

I understand somethings are done for the sake of gameplay.

Added after 5 minutes:

Quote Originally Posted by shava View Post
    There's a story to this game, too, you know. It's not just about cutting grass for baskets. Look at the game description. Look at the art and iconography. Shamanism is coming, animal taming, a good many thing that will have more to do with the less visible aspects of the environment. This is a niche game, but because it's post apocalyptic, doesn't mean it's necessarily treating that in the way a more theme-park MMO would. We have a world to discover; if that isn't your trip, maybe you should be playing Fallen Earth or a SF setting game, sure.

But the devs just put in a bunch of (wo)manyears developing this. Saying "Hey, let's just change it!" is a little disrespectful to the huge amount of effort on the part of art, modeling, code, and world-building/story that has been laid down already, with more in the pipeline. Really, you can't change skins on a 3D game like you would on WinAmp or something!

yrs
    Shava/Ani
    It is disrespectful, but this is the MMO market, if you are butt hurt by someones comments online then perhaps your in the WRONG LINE OF WORK. And yes there are a great many things planned to come into the game "Soon". But, and this is the big word, BUT, there are a great many MORE bugs, glitches and glaring flaws in the current game that are being worked on that prevent other things from being put into the game. This is the current issue with 99% of the indie game maker market out there, they often bite off WAY more than they can chew, with the HUGE hopes and dreams of the small, under funded development team. This is why Mortal Online is a flop, Darkfall, is horrible, Roma Victor failed, and so many others never see the light of day.

And if I wanted to play Fallen Earth, I would play Fallen Earth. All that is, is a Fallout clone done badly that centers around the theme park experience. What part of sandbox is it that so many people are missing. I want to be able to start over, make a new town, a settlement, live off the land, be a new colonist, not a reborn victim, of some unsaid destruction of mankind, and forced to live out some native american dream, done badly.

Then you say, I should play Earthrise, which is nothing more than a first/third person shooter set on some distant world. No actual sandbox elements in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodo View Post
    It is disrespectful, but this is the MMO market, if you are butt hurt by someones comments online then perhaps your in the WRONG LINE OF WORK. And yes there are a great many things planned to come into the game "Soon". But, and this is the big word, BUT, there are a great many MORE bugs, glitches and glaring flaws in the current game that are being worked on that prevent other things from being put into the game. This is the current issue with 99% of the indie game maker market out there, they often bite off WAY more than they can chew, with the HUGE hopes and dreams of the small, under funded development team. This is why Mortal Online is a flop, Darkfall, is horrible, Roma Victor failed, and so many others never see the light of day.
    Absolutely true. I'm just sayin'. You can't reskin a game like the OP implied. The game will make it or not on its own auspices -- I'm not making bets either way, but I'm sticking with it for now. If it's a good game, part of what will make it good (or great) is under the surface as much as in the cosmetics.

Indies have a high mortality rate. It's part of the biz. It's also part of the fandom, in my mind. You don't become a fan of a racehorse because you know it's going to win everything up to the triple crown. You follow a horse because of the style, prospects, and romance of the thing.

I don't expect NG is "butt-hurt" by it. But I do work in the games industry, so to me, and an increasing number of players, there's as much appreciation of the making of the game as there is of the production of movies. It's a pretty similar process (except, I like games better: they're never finished unless they die -- no final cut).

yrs
    Shava/Ani