Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Book View Post
    Hi,

The features page has an "Evolution" subsection.

It lists the things that will become available to "larger, more civilized tribes."

It includes agriculture, animal taming and riding, and cooking (amongst others).

Does this mean a homesteader will not be able to have:
    A horse.
    A few chickens and one (preferably mute) rooster.
    A vegetable garden.
    The ability to cook a good venison stew in winter time.

Thanks.
    As this is all speculation, Id imagine things like a horse you won't be able to tame but you could buy one from someone with the facilities to do so. I'm guessing larger projects such a windmills,furnaces,metalworks etc.... will be large projects not intended for the solo player. I'm sure most of those feature could be obtained by one person but at what cost to their time?

Quote Originally Posted by Cracky69 View Post
    There are no PC speech police here. My initial comment was tongue-in-cheek, but before you damn me for my English humour, first thank the Lord for our beautiful new princess. Three cheers for the Duchess of Cambridge.
    I'd like to duch her cambridge (yes, I know this makes absolutely no sense in any language).

As far as the original post, I think it'd be extremely fool-hearty to program it so that a solo-player doesn't even have a chance of doing something. Solo-players should be able to have the oppourtunity to do anything a group of players can do, even if it'd be extremely difficult (and i'm not talking about in the way that most MMO devs dumb a game down to make it cater to solo players).

[QUOTE=mrcalhou;79992]I'd like to duch her cambridge (yes, I know this makes absolutely no sense in any language).

And yet strangely it makes perfect sense; and I share your sentiment.

On-topic. I suspect they'll look after the solo players. I've met many in game that started in Tribes and went solo for a better playing experience. I sure hope I get to cook as I've been raising my skill in readiness with those bonus points we get.

Ooops, I cocked up the quote. Amateur error!

I have 30-40 skill points saved for later...

Im up to 210 points for later and counting Running out of non-junk sorting based crafts to level on, though, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracky69 View Post

On-topic. I suspect they'll look after the solo players. I've met many in game that started in Tribes and went solo for a better playing experience.
    You know something? That is a major indicator that the design is badly flawed. It's an MMORPG. If it plays better when soloing - there is something seriously wrong with the design.

Quote Originally Posted by Azhul_NS View Post
    You know something? That is a major indicator that the design is badly flawed. It's an MMORPG. If it plays better when soloing - there is something seriously wrong with the design.
    "Better" can mean any number of things.

Tribes have politics which can sometimes get frustrating. If someone doesn't like that, homesteading would be a "better" experience. More relaxing and peaceful in a way.
    Tribes help each other a great deal. For some, the notion of homesteading is about being able to test their personal survival skills on their own. Simply a different experience, but for those who prefer it, it's "better."

A homesteader is solo in the sense of personal freedom on their land, not in terms of playing a one-player game.

Quote Originally Posted by Book View Post
    "Better" can mean any number of things.

Tribes have politics which can sometimes get frustrating. If someone doesn't like that, homesteading would be a "better" experience. More relaxing and peaceful in a way.
    Tribes help each other a great deal. For some, the notion of homesteading is about being able to test their personal survival skills on their own. Simply a different experience, but for those who prefer it, it's "better."

A homesteader is solo in the sense of personal freedom on their land, not in terms of playing a one-player game.
    Human beings are social animals, not because we like each other, but because individually, we are physically puny for our size. You should not be able to prosper on your own. If an MMO panders to soloers, then it ruins the game for those who want to group, because there is no NEED to.

Politics are plenty frustrating in real life, but we put up with that garbage because living alone in the woods would be far harsher. More difficult than most of us could handle. If you can't find a few other people to group with - then an MMO is probably not right for you.

There will be Taming, Agriculture and Cooking before the end of prelude. I believe that they mean evolution to mean the progression of society again (like said before, society inventing new things).

Quote Originally Posted by Xidian View Post
    There will be Taming, Agriculture and Cooking before the end of prelude. I believe that they mean evolution to mean the progression of society again (like said before, society inventing new things).
    Yeah, was just curious about the "available to larger tribes" thing. I think homesteading kind of includes the things I listed by definition, or at least, how I've always understood it in real life.

Not against buying a horse or a cow from a large tribe though. But would like to ride the horse, not so much the cow.

Also not saying everything should be available to the homesteader. Having my own religion in my little cabin probably means cabin fever is setting in. For example.

Coming up with a new cooking recipe? I do that most days in real life, by mistake.