Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubanka View Post
    this discussion has a been had so many times before it's not worth the effort to have again.
    QFT.

It's sad to say it but... The forums have been more fun than the game for the last 6 weeks... But Xsy-forumwarriorsonline-on is now into its 'endgame death cycle', and there desperately needs to be something to stop this painfully slow spiral into obscurity...

Quote Originally Posted by Phazaar View Post
    QFT.

It's sad to say it but... The forums have been more fun than the game for the last 6 weeks... But Xsy-forumwarriorsonline-on is now into its 'endgame death cycle', and there desperately needs to be something to stop this painfully slow spiral into obscurity...
    Until a big patch, then the forums will be anew with all sorts of other topics like "Balance" and "Bugs" =P

Add permadeath to Xsyon Forum Wars?

Quote Originally Posted by SpeechMan View Post
    While I agree those are decent goals, they are for player who wants everything massive. Like I mentioned in my post, I'm going solo, all I need is a nice little camp to build my fortune out from. I was prepared to be hard pressed to get anything, but instead I got everything I needed too fast and easy.

Yes, I could start grinding architechture to gain more advanced buildings for my camp, but since there is nothing gained from that (except the buildings, of course), I lack the incentive to do so.

So in the end, everything in xsyon is just too simple and random. Why should I grind for master chisel, when standard chisel does the job just as good. And even if I did decide to get myself that master chisel, getting it would mean just crafting more lashers until the random number feed hits and I get the recipe.
    Well theres two things to think about here.

1. We're in the prelude, which means we're creating the world, things are supposed to be overabundant. AT the end of an apocalypse there would be tons of scrap material and an abundance of stuff to survive.

2. Some systems are not yet implemented.

Now when we get past the prelude, after we've set up our little towns and we've used up most of the scrap, that's where the story starts. It gets harder to find things that used to be everywhere and some items may disappear forever for all we know. The walls that kept you safe are falling apart and there is nothing left to repair them with. The area you had lived in so long begins to attract the attention of mutants and zombies. The world changes.

Jordi has said the prelude is a time for shaping the world and building it up so there will be something. Surviving starts afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimps View Post
    Well theres two things to think about here.

1. We're in the prelude, which means we're creating the world, things are supposed to be overabundant. AT the end of an apocalypse there would be tons of scrap material and an abundance of stuff to survive.
    Especially if 80-90% of the population died off....

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimps View Post
    /.../ 1. We're in the prelude, which means we're creating the world, things are supposed to be overabundant. AT the end of an apocalypse there would be tons of scrap material and an abundance of stuff to survive. /.../
    But how can we great the world and build towns/cities when the tribal area system is not growing? How hard can it be to fix a little bug like that? I have 23 members in the tribe and we are stuck with the Band size tribal territory... And its impossible to reset the totem because people are living in different time zones. I have tried to reset the totem three times now, and every time something goes wrong. Last time we had major breakthrough and we managed to set the Band totem instead of homestead totem, thats all (while doing that we lost around 20 members). Then we built new castle and after that its a dead end again. No point in inviting the new members since we cant have more land anyway before we reset the totem again. I think that they should fix some really nasty bugs before they do something else (like add more bugs with bigger patch). If the prelude is all about the building and setting up, then they should do everything to let us expand and build. I have been sitting and waiting for a month now (it was over a month ago when i first reported about this bug, and they already knew about this bug back then).

Quote Originally Posted by siimp View Post
    But how can we great the world and build towns/cities when the tribal area is not growing? How hard can it be to fix a little bug like that? I have 23 members in the tribe and we are stuck with the Band size tribal territory... And its impossible to reset the totem because people are living in different time zones. I have tried to reset the totem three times now, and every time something goes wrong. Last time we had major breakthrough and we managed to set the Band totem instead of homestead totem, thats all (while doing that we lost around 20 members). Then we built new castle and after that its a dead end again. No point in inviting the new members since we cant have more land anyway before we reset the totem again. I think that they should fix some really nasty bugs before they do something else (like add more bugs with bigger patch). If the prelude is all about the building and setting up, then they should do everything to let us expand and build.
    If you're talking about having to replace a totem after having reached the correct tribe size then the reason is the following:

The totems don't/can't/or shouldn't overlap. Placing your totem "reserves" the max size of whatever totem type you have. It used to be 10 people needed to have a tribe sized place that reserved the maximum possible area...homestead area was <9. So it was changed into the <5, <10, <20 thing we have now or however it's done. So because of how coding works in real life and how the encroachment system works, having overlapping tribes or totem areas is probably a bad thing and could probably break stuff at the moment. So when one reaches the tribe size that allows them to set the next sized totem, they have to abandon their reserved plot and place the new totem down IF there's enough space for the next max size. It's like this so that a smaller amount of people (<5 or <10) don't have an area that's made for 20+ when they may not take advantage of this area.

Now there is one thing that's wrong with totems is that everyone gets booted from the tribe when you abandon (right?). If this is the bug you are talking about then it's probably not a bug, it's just how things are working right now. If you're talking about why you have to abandon your totem (whether people get booted or not) to "unlock" a large amount of land, the overlapping of tribe encroachment zones is the reason.

When people get too big in one area, they move somewhere else that can accommodate their increasing size (1 room apartment tenant move to a 4 bedroom house etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by orious13 View Post
    The totems don't/can't/or shouldn't overlap. Placing your totem "reserves" the max size of whatever totem type you have. It used to be 10 people needed to have a tribe sized place that reserved the maximum possible area...homestead area was <9. So it was changed into the <5, <10, <20 thing we have now or however it's done. So because of how coding works in real life and how the encroachment system works, having overlapping tribes or totem areas is probably a bad thing and could probably break stuff at the moment. So when one reaches the tribe size that allows them to set the next sized totem, they have to abandon their reserved plot and place the new totem down IF there's enough space for the next max size. It's like this so that a smaller amount of people (<5 or <10) don't have an area that's made for 20+ when they may not take advantage of this area.
    this explains why you might not be able to expand if others are nearby, but it seems to me it would be easy to implement tribal area expansion when no other tribes are nearby. my question is, why can't the tribal expansion code just check to see if any other tribe's area collides with the newly requested area, and if there are no collisions expand the area, and if there are collisions print an error message to the console. this seems pretty easy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by fotuenti View Post
    this explains why you might not be able to expand if others are nearby, but it seems to me it would be easy to implement tribal area expansion when no other tribes are nearby. my question is, why can't the tribal expansion code just check to see if any other tribe's area collides with the newly requested area, and if there are no collisions expand the area, and if there are collisions print an error message to the console. this seems pretty easy to me.
    Put that in the suggestion section.

Quote Originally Posted by orious13 View Post
    Put that in the suggestion section.
    done, and i even added some pseudo-code to help