Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The test server should just be a sneak peek on what large updates will be entering the live server so that the big stuff can come in as bug free as possible. Balancing could be done on the test server, as well, but allowing players to jump around with tools should have been part of the pre-release and not the release stage....

They want things to be "found" and stay "hidden" so that we can find out how things work. Some of those tools will basically just allow players to "figure out things". Non- "real" testers will definitely go there to do this, regardless if it is intended or not.

BUT beta for Xsyon had some differences in terms of some mechanics than live (eg. basketry was almost useless... with plz merge cries on forum). They could alter some numbers to keep players guessing for when they update the live server.

Quote Originally Posted by cbowsin View Post
    The tools he talks about doesn't identify balance issues that you mention. If you want to test the respawn rate of a tree, chop one down and sit around until it grows back. Want to test if animals breed, follow a pair around and see how long it takes for a little baby to pop out. Don't need any special tools to figure out that those features are either not ingame or are really really slow. My point is simple, if the developers want us to test min/maxing, scaling, balancing of skills then they will provide the means to do so. Since they have not, I am stating there are plenty of things that can be tested. If the OP was a "true tester" he would spend more time focused on the things he can test and less time on the things he wants to test. Which if were possible would make me totally uninterested in this game.

Umm, if a breeding happens say once every 2 days, you going to wait around 2 days to check 1 pair breeding?
    Or if tree regrowth is once a week, you going to wait a week to see if it needs to be tweaked?

Thats not a good idea.

The tools he is talking about is for balancing. Test dumbies and things like that to test damage, and attack speed. Its for balancing. Ive tested lots and lots of games. If you want balance, you need things in the game like this. Also its good to have increased speeds of skill gains, and respawn/regrowth etc.

The OP is talking about some of the extra tools that would help testing. If the devs only want us to test to see if we can see if an animal is there or not I would say there are bigger problems than tools for a test server. Clearly the devs havnt done a lot of balancing as most stuff is broken in the game. I dont know what the devs want, or dont want. But I do know more tools for testers will mean more testing done by testers.

It seems to me like you care less for true testing and more about stopping people from getting ahead of you or knowing more than you. Dont worry people already know a lot more than you about this game Im sure of it. Plus even without a test server there are in game ways to test all these things. Test server should/would just have a better system for it.

Well for one you people crying over this and bashing ideas for a test server need to learn the differance from test and live server. Test server is where you test an live is where you play for real. Anything done on test is not pulled over to live server. example i have ability to chop trees ever sec with 1 sec cut down timer an i farm a section of trees to test tree regroth. Ok these amount of wood dont travel back with me to live server it stays on test. So where is you'lls problem? there is no cheatting just simple tools to help test a game and new features that could make it to live if they don't get scrapped do to testing failure.

This isn't a problem and why you'll down the idea of people wantting to test is beyond me. Further more you should leave dessisions like this up to jooky to say and answer.

Stop waisting band space and server space with arguments about some ones idea that is more helpful.

The sole perpose of this tweaks and suggestions is so we can give idea's then leave it up to jooky to decide if he likes it and if he wants to talk about it more one on one with that person and then a poll or what not before he makes any desision. Simple i agree or disagree are fine post on each topic. no need to post again or defend or bash someones idea. Please keep these fourms clean and respectful with i agree or disagree. and if you have a better idea than the one you disagreed on then start a new topic with your idea. This saves space and needless 20 pages of replyes.

I agree with the original post on simple tools for testing on test server.

@temur and cbowsin: Tell me exactly how you test the effectiveness of skills without the ability to respec stats and skills? How do you know if the low values of a skill are to low, not low enough or just right; how do you know if the high values are to high, not high enough, or just right if all the testing being done is only with 1 set of values? You need to be able to check high and low values evenly or you'll only get lopsided results in your testing. This doesn't just go for damage tests this relates to any skillset being tested.