Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Some critics

Some critics

Hello, i'm in Xsyon for 3-4 days. I have walked and swimmed a lot, all around the Lake, to find a good area to put on my totem. I saw some things which hurt me and give some desperate feeling. First, it's a big lack of trees (i'm a logger and woodworker). A totem is there for each tree. It's impossible to log. If you want to, you must climb over 600 high, and it's not sure, there's people and totems everywhere. An other problem, i break my ass in a lot of holes (terraforming) here and there, someones you cant go out of them. The environment is some times very ugly, terraformed in a very bad way. My question is : is terraforming a good thing (out of cleaning and plan a little bit the area), because the environment is not the property of just ones, but of all the gamers (this game isn't a free one, i've bought it and pay a monthly fee as everybody i think).

Xsyon Citizen

Red face

Welcome m8,

in my area its still quitte ok, a lot of trees still there.
    you are welcome in 697 if you like
    Also not too much terraforming and some friendly tribes nearby

all the trees got chopped down, cuz somebody didn't conserve <_<

Well at the moment the regrowth of trees seams not to work very well.... we wait allready like 4 weeks and still no new trees growth back. Hope it change with the new database system for tree storage

But change the region should be the only possible quick solution at the moment.

To OP:
    Yes right now the world is lacking a lot of trees mostly because of 2 things. 1)Tree growth is turned off, in the next patch regrowth of trees and farmlands are set to be put into place. 2)The game has just been released (1.5 months ago) so everyone is going through a building phase. The areas you went around too are where most people are (starting areas around the lakes) if you go outside these areas you will start to see more trees.
    Many trees are needed to build up your tribelands. So people had to cut them down, also people have been cutting them down for skill gains and other reasons. Once tree planting and regrowth is turned on, I think we will start to see a very lush land again.

Terraforming is a problem, but dont forget people can only terraform on the totem area. So they had to place a totem down to change that landscape. Some of these tribes are 100% inactive, so you will start seeing some of these areas go public once decay of totems is turned on, allowing people to reclaim the areas and fix or change them.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    To OP:
    Yes right now the world is lacking a lot of trees mostly because of 2 things. 1)Tree growth is turned off, in the next patch regrowth of trees and farmlands are set to be put into place. 2)The game has just been released (1.5 months ago) so everyone is going through a building phase. The areas you went around too are where most people are (starting areas around the lakes) if you go outside these areas you will start to see more trees.
    Many trees are needed to build up your tribelands. So people had to cut them down, also people have been cutting them down for skill gains and other reasons. Once tree planting and regrowth is turned on, I think we will start to see a very lush land again.

Terraforming is a problem, but dont forget people can only terraform on the totem area. So they had to place a totem down to change that landscape. Some of these tribes are 100% inactive, so you will start seeing some of these areas go public once decay of totems is turned on, allowing people to reclaim the areas and fix or change them.
    "2)The game has just been released (1.5 months ago)"

You don't seriously think that is an excuse for core features to be missing/buggy, do you? These things should have been fixed/implemented in BETA.

Quote Originally Posted by Azhul_NS View Post
    "2)The game has just been released (1.5 months ago)"

You don't seriously think that is an excuse for core features to be missing/buggy, do you? These things should have been fixed/implemented in BETA.

I dont think that should be a reason no. I didnt even say that was the reason. I said that the first release of a game like this causes everyone to go into a building phase. Which stresses the resources in those areas. Over time the resources will be fine at a normal growth.

Even if you look at other games like Rift, or Lineage 2. On release they pushed up the respawn rate to 500% for the few 3 weeks. They do this because there are so many peoples in those lower areas they need much higher respawn. However, after 3+ weeks (times longer) they dont need it that high and lower it back to normal rates.

Here, because the system is broken it makes the problem seem worse than it really is. If this was in the middle of the gaming stage then you wouldnt even really care, most of your town would have been built up, and you might even have stock piles of timber. But because this was at release with these issues, it exacerbated the problem.

with the next patch they are going to fix this, possibly even reset all the trees.
    Or so i have read on a post by one of the devs

A lot of the trees in my area were taken out by clear-cutting which had nothing to do with local building.

1) The neighborhood was finally able to get enough people online at once to take out some macroed-to-godlike, PO-axe wielding gankers that had been griefing the area. They didn't like losing that one time out of all the times they came over, so they came back when no players were around and clear-cut an entire forest, destroying all the lumber and stumps.

2) I lived near the altar during the raccoon event. After the event, some folks who were either bored, upset about the lag, or simply wanted to farm they logging creds, and thus took out many, many trees around the altar. They did leave the lumber this time, which is why I have more short logs than I need at the moment... but fact remains, they simply clear-cut an area far away from where they live. I know that because I know who it was and well, it happens.

Personally, I had been trying to cull trees in the area so that it would still look forested. Once the tools are in to grow new forests, that's what people will need to do.

Wouldn't it be great if people did learn concepts of conservation from this game? Unlikely but would be a cool social awareness tool.

as a matter of fact, one of the posters in this thread was clearcutting on the pretence of leveling his logging.

Yes the game allows for evil players, yes everyone can be very self centered and show no concern for other players as if it is their sole game and all made for them alone.

But it is another aspect of how such mechanics can drive away players. With no trees to work with I personally know of players that quit the game for that reason alone.

We need a way to replant asap

Virtus saying that somebody didn't conserve is somewhat offensive as the mechanics not only allow for clear cutting, but even seem to encourage it.

i'm curious which someone he was referring to?