Thread: upcoming combat

Red face upcoming combat

I know you guys are revising combat right now. So i just wanted to put my two cents in there and hope for the best. Basically I really hope combat wont be really long and tedious. Specific examples include games that make it take like a minute to kill a snake... I do think that if it is something that is easier to do in real life, it should certainly be easier in games. I Havent had a good chance in doing any combat in Xsyon yet, only encounter Ive had was the raccoon event and I wont judge on that basis.

While I'm at it what do you guys want to see? ( I know ill hear some mount and blade in here )

Quote Originally Posted by meissner61 View Post
    I know you guys are revising combat right now. So i just wanted to put my two cents in there and hope for the best. Basically I really hope combat wont be really long and tedious. Specific examples include games that make it take like a minute to kill a snake... I do think that if it is something that is easier to do in real life, it should certainly be easier in games. I Havent had a good chance in doing any combat in Xsyon yet, only encounter Ive had was the raccoon event and I wont judge on that basis.

While I'm at it what do you guys want to see? ( I know ill hear some mount and blade in here )
    You ought to come up to 1061. There are bears in and around my camp ALL THE TIME. A couple days ago, there was a mama bear and four cubs. I didn't get much done that day.

PLEASE! ANYONE! Come kill some bears!

Also remember that it doesn't take long in real life for a bear to kill someone or mortally injure them. If you want to kill a snake with one shot. . a wild cat should be able to take you out fairly quickly.

Things are slowed down a bit to give the player a chance to think. I would love to have a more realistic combat system. Something like the old Warhammer RPG (pen and paper 1st edition.) Getting hit with a sword is likely to cause you to die. The only problem is that that is not awfully fun in a game. This would also give the aggressor in PvP a huge advantage, which would be okay by me but I think a lot of people would be upset with someone oneshotting them from behind a tree.

Not to mention have you every actually tried to hit a mouse with a broomstick. . it takes longer than you might think Stepping on a snake is fairly straight forward though - I agree.

I certainly think combat can be made very fun skillfull and at the same time brutal and quick. If the devs need to look at some fun combat systems in games then i can point to primarily mount and blade and also Lugaru / Overgrowth. Though yes of course this is a game and they need to cut the realism to better the gameplay. Im just personally excited to see what they come up with and cant wait for more stuff to do in this already awesome game.

Thumbs up Devs!

I love the current time it takes to kill someone (not counting missing). It is pretty close.
    High skilled well equipped people vs naked people kill them in 2 hits.
    You take 2 high skilled well armored and well equipped people fighting each other, it takes about 5 to 7 hits.
    You take a low skilled poorly geared person hitting a well armored well skilled player, it comes out to 10 to 20 hits.

Mix and match this up as you wish, but its pretty good balance for me. Now throw in some misses/parry/dodge/block etc, and I can see combat being really fun. Then throw in some extra stuff like maybe a potion (nothing you can spam but maybe once every 3mins type), with some faster out of combat treatment of wounds, you can see battles could be really fun.

I dont want to see most battles where people are 1 shot, or killed in 3 hits. I like battles to last longer but not because it takes 100 hits to kill someone.

I wonder how much different they can really make the combat system...time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    I love the current time it takes to kill someone (not counting missing). It is pretty close.
    Right unfortunetly its a bit difficult to test combat sometimes. But if its like what you are saying then that sounds about good.

Waiting for a Heavy Crossbow.... : )

I hope that the combat revision will include nuclear weopons. I want my own apocalypse.

Btw: nuclear grenades would also be fine. Did anyone see the movie "Starship Troopers"?

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    High skilled well equipped people vs naked people kill them in 2 hits.
    You take 2 high skilled well armored and well equipped people fighting each other, it takes about 5 to 7 hits.
    You take a low skilled poorly geared person hitting a well armored well skilled player, it comes out to 10 to 20 hits.

Mix and match this up as you wish, but its pretty good balance for me. Now throw in some misses/parry/dodge/block etc, and I can see combat being really fun. Then throw in some extra stuff like maybe a potion (nothing you can spam but maybe once every 3mins type), with some faster out of combat treatment of wounds, you can see battles could be really fun.

I dont want to see most battles where people are 1 shot, or killed in 3 hits. I like battles to last longer but not because it takes 100 hits to kill someone.
    That sounds about right to me as is then. I just hope they can add something. . timing etc. of swings vs. "skills" with button mashing.