Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Don't know if I saw this in a movie, or if it's just myth, but didn't some Native American tribes have a rite of passage where someone would have to sneak up to a bear and slap it's bum... then get the heck out of there?

If I've understood correctly, both MrDDT and Jadzia are saying to level hiding by "practicing" it with mobs, rather than just clicking in place. Having to slap a bear on the ole behind would be difficult to macro wouldn't it? Gotta find the bear, figure out the best angle of approach, pause if it's moving around... maybe backtrack and reposition, etc.

As it stands, one doesn't need a safe zone to macro hiding, behind a waterfall is pretty hidden.

I did see someone running full speed while having a predator look at the raccoon event way back. If that isn't supposed to be possible, then I don't know how they did it. I don't remember who it was but I do remember thinking the predator look was freaking me out

MrDDT, I'm curious as to the reason you want full-speed running while hiding? What would that be used for? Sorry if you already said and I missed it... just don't see why that would add much to gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Book View Post
    MrDDT, I'm curious as to the reason you want full-speed running while hiding? What would that be used for? Sorry if you already said and I missed it... just don't see why that would add much to gameplay.
    To increase the uses in game play.
    It doesnt have to be full speed just rewarding people for using.
    My theory on it would that hiding should take energy to do, and while running full speed (not sprinting) you could move around. Running speed in this game is like "walk" speed in most games. I dont know about you but most people I know run EVERYWHERE, no one uses walk.
    Hiding at walk speeds would be almost useless, even if it were 100% invisible (NOT SOMETHING I WANT).

Without moving faster than a walk, hiding will not be used much. I can see maybe an ambush here or there, but mostly never. Walking speed in this game is just much to slow.

Don't know if I saw this in a movie, or if it's just myth, but didn't some Native American tribes have a rite of passage where someone would have to sneak up to a bear and slap it's bum... then get the heck out of there?

If I've understood correctly, both MrDDT and Jadzia are saying to level hiding by "practicing" it with mobs, rather than just clicking in place. Having to slap a bear on the ole behind would be difficult to macro wouldn't it? Gotta find the bear, figure out the best angle of approach, pause if it's moving around... maybe backtrack and reposition, etc.
    I love this idea

oh, maybe the guy I saw was actually sprinting while hiding? Dunno. I can't test any of that because I haven't leveled hiding at all.

I think hiding in slow-mode would still be useful later when tribes need to spy on each other and such. Increases the level of anticipation and immersion to have to go slow, or become visible if you need to high-tail it out of there.

I know people will say I'm thinking in gank-box, but being able to have effective hiding at running speed would just be more useful for people to pk as things stand now. Wouldn't really serve my purposes, and would probably just wind up giving those inclined to kill more of an advantage than I would want them to have. imho.

I know I could run while hiding too then... but if everybody's running around while hiding, what's the point?

Not sure there's a problem with hiding not being used much. It's a specialty. Would make it more worthwhile to keep it that way imho.

oh, maybe the guy I saw was actually sprinting while hiding? Dunno. I can't test any of that because I haven't leveled hiding at all.

I think hiding in slow-mode would still be useful later when tribes need to spy on each other and such. Increases the level of anticipation and immersion to have to go slow, or become visible if you need to high-tail it out of there.

I know people will say I'm thinking in gank-box, but being able to have effective hiding at running speed would just be more useful for people to pk as things stand now. Wouldn't really serve my purposes, and would probably just wind up giving those inclined to kill more of an advantage than I would want them to have. imho.

I know I could run while hiding too then... but if everybody's running around while hiding, what's the point?

Not sure there's a problem with hiding not being used much. It's a specialty. Would make it more worthwhile to keep it that way imho.

I dont mind it not being used much, as I mind it being not useful. If something is useful then it will be used.

Right now the AI is pretty crappy over all (my opinion lets not get side tracked here). But take deer. They run from you, but they are so bad at it, they dont run very well, or far. So you can kill them with a knife (ya right try that in the real world). But a player will hiding skill like Im talking about would be able to use hiding to kill them.
    Sure they can kill them at super slow speeds, but its really boring and not effective.

About everyone running around in hiding mode. You wont want to run around in hiding mode as what if it used up 2x sprinting speed stam while just running while hiding? (Its called balancing). Then it will be used rarely, but could be effectively for many reasons.

Its not a PK ganker only issue, it could even be the other way around. Player sees another player killing. They drop into hiding mode, and get out of dodge, or drop into hiding mode to get more recon, so his buddies can show up well informed.

Think outside the box.

About slapping the bear on the butt as the only way to train. That's pretty silly to me. I think there should be many more ways than 1 way to train it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    About slapping the bear on the butt as the only way to train. That's pretty silly to me. I think there should be many more ways than 1 way to train it.
    You could add other animals too, but not puppies, because that would be wrong.

In any case, put in my 2 cents, wasn't really expecting them to be accepted... have a nice day

You could add other animals too, but not puppies, because that would be wrong.

In any case, put in my 2 cents, wasn't really expecting them to be accepted... have a nice day
    Brings me to my point though, that its not thought through.
    If you do other animals, then you can easy macro it. Most animals do almost no damage, bears are the only thing that really hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Brings me to my point though, that its not thought through.
    If you do other animals, then you can easy macro it. Most animals do almost no damage, bears are the only thing that really hurt.
    dude, what you just quoted was a joke... lighten up a little.

dude, what you just quoted was a joke... lighten up a little.
    Sorry, I cant tell, because sometimes I think most of the stuff the Jadzia posts is a joke, but she is serious about it =P

Well I was serious about the bear's bum, because I think that would be hilarious lol... but no, wasn't saying that should be the ONLY way to level anything. Variety is good. I don't mean variety in terms of other animals, that was just being facetious.

The only thing I'm not 100% on is moving faster while hiding. It's not so much that I'm thinking inside a box, or whatever can be said to dismiss what I'm saying... I just happen to think it would detract from hiding being a special skill one uses in specific circumstances. Differences of opinion are okay. No intention of changing your mind as I don't think that's possible, I'm just voicing what I think about it.

It's entirely realistic to be suspicious of someone wanting to make hiding more useful when the person suggesting it admittedly likes to kill people Would be silly not to give some thought to potential hidden agendas (pun not really intended).

In a way, that does require me to think outside my own box, as it requires me to think inside yours.