Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    If they made it 3x more effective (as you suggested) it would be poof disappearing. That would mean PvP would always be consensual...if someone don't want to fight he would just hide. PvP flagging is the method for consensual PvP.
    Just make range from target more effective. Meaning if you are close you see them a lot better, than if you are far, and I think "detected" should happen where it removed hiding if you are "detected".

Even better would be like a detect hidden skill or something, or maybe "perceptive" skill which could help in gathering and scavenging.

I've always agreed that the only way to level hiding without it being too exploited would be to only allow it to skill up when near mobs. Maybe not IN their aggro range, but near enough. Maybe 1.25*aggro range. There are of course a lot more ways to calculate the gain... like being naked and hiding should be easier or harder than when you're clothed? It'd depend on the clothing, but if you made it easier to skill while naked, that would be pretty difficult. If anything, hiding should never skill up by simply pressing the skill no matter what. Make it level off of players if you want (more skill against higher perception, but when seen you gain no skill). That can be exploited too, but anything is better than just clicking it. ANYTHING.

I never saw anyone in hiding because I've always been in a low pop area. I do like the idea how hiding in walk mode gives you 100% effectiveness, run gives 50%, sprint give 25%. Then take into account how much stamina drain is increased, that could balance fine. Add in 125% or 150% effectiveness when you're standing still.

The thing that will make hiding more effective is when/if clothing is incorporated into the equation. From spring until fall, grass clothing should be perfect for this. You can also throw in green or brown colored cloth armor. The same can be said about winter, but with white colored armor. Let someone in RL (sorry I used RL as an example) who has 0 hiding experience hide on the grass in a ghillie suit and then have another person who has mastered hiding (RL hiding) hide in a yellow business suit. The master will be shot first... This is where the distinction should be. You start off at 5 hide, standing in hide makes you seem at 6.25. Etc. I'm just arbitrarily throwing numbers around.

You can uncomplicate the above if you feel like it..... I just hope you get the basic point.

Pretty much what I was thinking about it. Good ideas too about standing still = higher chances than normal.
    Also about the heavier armors / gear would make it harder to hide.

It'd depend on the clothing, but if you made it easier to skill while naked, that would be pretty difficult.
    Man, if i see a sick guy nude around my totem, chances are that'll go after him with my axe...

The thing that will make hiding more effective is when/if clothing is incorporated into the equation. From spring until fall, grass clothing should be perfect for this. You can also throw in green or brown colored cloth armor. The same can be said about winter, but with white colored armor. Let someone in RL (sorry I used RL as an example) who has 0 hiding experience hide on the grass in a ghillie suit and then have another person who has mastered hiding (RL hiding) hide in a yellow business suit. The master will be shot first... This is where the distinction should be. You start off at 5 hide, standing in hide makes you seem at 6.25. Etc. I'm just arbitrarily throwing numbers around.
    I dont know about the color thing, i just dont want everyone to look the same way (brown/greenish during summer and white during winter) BUT, we could add to the equation the type of armor: grass armor helps and plate armor as a big penalty...and so on.

Yz

I think hiding is very badly implemented right now so I don't even know where to start.

But I do know that hiding should not be possible if your character is moving at normal or full speed. And as soon as you swing your weapon you should be visible to all. For me hiding = ambush or sneaking up. Nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    I think hiding is very badly implemented right now so I don't even know where to start.

But I do know that hiding should not be possible if your character is moving at normal or full speed. And as soon as you swing your weapon you should be visible to all. For me hiding = ambush or sneaking up. Nothing else.

My problem with no normal/full speed is the fact that if you cant have invisible, slowing someone down to a walk is more of a punishment mostly.

It needs to have give and take here. I dont see hiding being used if you can see them and they are slower than a walk. I just dont see it ever being used. Maybe if you wanted to just try to hide next to a tree or something. But heck, laying on the ground would likely hide you better.

Changed some of the basic info I was using. I would like to show people the updated hiding screenshots and see what they think of my ideas based on the new info.