Thread: Key Bindings

Key Bindings

I wanted to start this thread to look at the key bindings in game. I've played around with the ability to change the keys some, although they didn't change (needs a bug report). The issue isn't the ability to customize, but rather the default key binds. I find, as with many games, that the defaults are unintuitive and they would steepen the learning curve for new players.

Things like the scroll wheel working in reverse of how I think it should. Scrolling down moves the camera in, and the reverse as well.

Certain things (Hold shift to run, and then hold x as well to sprint) are just ridiculous. How about getting rid of the hold feature and just leave the toggle run/walk key in? Make shift the sprint key. That's where sprint is in 90% of other games, across multiple genres.

Make q the autorun (as in you start running without holding W). It's the established key for that in multiple other MMOs.

As I get more familiar with the game, I can post more suggestions like this, but these are issues that I think could really improve accessibility to new players. Most people coming to Xsyon will have experience with other games, and having familiar controls will make it easier to focus on the game.

Re:Key Bindings

Fohmyn wrote:
    I wanted to start this thread to look at the key bindings in game. I've played around with the ability to change the keys some, although they didn't change (needs a bug report). The issue isn't the ability to customize, but rather the default key binds. I find, as with many games, that the defaults are unintuitive and they would steepen the learning curve for new players.

Things like the scroll wheel working in reverse of how I think it should. Scrolling down moves the camera in, and the reverse as well.

Certain things (Hold shift to run, and then hold x as well to sprint) are just ridiculous. How about getting rid of the hold feature and just leave the toggle run/walk key in? Make shift the sprint key. That's where sprint is in 90% of other games, across multiple genres.

Make q the autorun (as in you start running without holding W). It's the established key for that in multiple other MMOs.

As I get more familiar with the game, I can post more suggestions like this, but these are issues that I think could really improve accessibility to new players. Most people coming to Xsyon will have experience with other games, and having familiar controls will make it easier to focus on the game.
    I'm definitely not liking the sound of the "scrolling backwards moves the camera close" thing. I'm a creature of habbit so most of those would be way confusing at first unless changed.

Since I can't actually log into the game, playing with the settings is all the playing I've been able to do so far. :P

I was unable to create keybinds that used modifier keys. No Alt+, Ctrl+ or Shift+ was possible. (Although L.Alt, L.Ctrl, etc. are able to be set.)

As someone who likes to use R for auto-run and Alt+R for toggling run/walk, this was a bit annoying.

Weird keybindings =\\

I've posted this in another thread, but might as well belly-up here too. Lack of key-bindings are a pet-peeve for many gamers, if there is an inability to key-bind to their preference.

It's not a coding complexity by devs, the issue, but a conscious act to make game-play actions less cumbersome, especially in situations requiring quick responsiveness (particularly combat situations).

So, lets hope I don't have to purchase a piece of wiz-bang computer gear or have to take finger dexterity classes to play Xsyon just because I cant re-map what might be originally mapped to ctrl-whatever to "z".

Thanks

Ciik wrote:
    It's not a coding complexity by devs, the issue, but a conscious act to make game-play actions less cumbersome, especially in situations requiring quick responsiveness (particularly combat situations).
    As a left-handed person I have distinct issues with games that have "default" (read: right-handed) keybindings that cannot be changed. My mouse is on the left, so using the WASD keys to move around is something I've never done. I think I came across a game recently where you couldn't even remap that to the standard arrow keys on the other side of the keyboard; needless to say, I didn't last long in that game.

It's not just a matter of convenience. For some of us, keybinding options are a matter of playability.