A purpose for otherwise useless bones and limbs

Raccoon ribcages, chicken small bones, guinea pig feet. How many dozens, or hundreds of these do you have stored away, unsure what to do with? (especially the ribcages)

Currently the only animals whose bones are entirely used are mule deer and bear. Racoon ribcages are used for 1 piece of leather armor in all of crafting. Its great we can hunt and skin all these things, but wouldn't it be better if we could use their parts?

Generic Rib cages -- Bone Bin Containers

Make bone bins a generic bonecrafting recipe everyone starts with, like bone stakes. 4 bone ribs and some thread would make a bone bin container. This would remove the monopoly that basketry has on storage items, and give bonecrafters a chance to level up off all those hundreds of rib cages they dont use otherwise.

I have to go but i have more ideas i want to add to this later. People should discuss ideas of what to do with other pieces like chicken feet or manx heads. Lets find constructive ways of putting these to use.

if your doing bone bing containers please make leather as well cheers.

To answer your first question.
    Parts from one Manx. Seeing that they have just been released and where released after the crafting revisions + all the problems arising at launch I'd say new recipes have been laid off for a while. That includes most of the things you are mentioning. At least the Guinea Pig, Chicken and Manx. Raccoon, you sure you just haven't discovered/found a recipe that uses the ribcages?

Storage is supposed to store it.. A ribcage isn't even round and there are quite a lot of empty space around it (Have anyone actually seen a basket, bin or otherwise container'ish made out of bone?)
    They would, however, make excellent something.
    - I appreciate you idea, seriously, but currently the only thing basketry has is baskets.. Give every other craft or just one craft a bin recipe and you've made an entire craft obsolete. (thought of that? - it is just highlighting a major problem in the idea..)
    - Maybe a cool Raccoon ribcage head piece or chest piece (are raccoons large enough for that?! - Chest piece that is..?)
    - SKULLS! Could go for a container of some sort. (think water pouches or herb pouches ?)
    - But in general, anything where you want to bend bone is out of the question as that would probably just break the bone (admittedly I have no clue how much pressure a bone can take, but seeing a human bone can break from a 1m fall I don't think it is that much pressure.)

I have an idea! Not everything has a use at the moment, but might have in the future as it so says on their Feature list or is it their About list.. Either way. There has always been items that had no use in a game, I like it to somehow stay that way.. Keeps you busy/interested..

Quote Originally Posted by VeryWiiTee View Post
    To answer your first question.
    Parts from one Manx. Seeing that they have just been released and where released after the crafting revisions + all the problems arising at launch I'd say new recipes have been laid off for a while. That includes most of the things you are mentioning. At least the Guinea Pig, Chicken and Manx. Raccoon, you sure you just haven't discovered/found a recipe that uses the ribcages?
    Im sure. I know leathercraft uses raccoon leather, and raccoon heads, but only 1 piece in 1 design uses any raccoon bone at all. Uncommonly coyote teeth and heads are utilized as well. I know this should not be at the top of their priority list. I never said that. I do think stirring up ideas right now, during that downtime, would be better than nothing.

Storage is supposed to store it.. A ribcage isn't even round and there are quite a lot of empty space around it (Have anyone actually seen a basket, bin or otherwise container'ish made out of bone?)
    They would, however, make excellent something.
    I suppose you could argue that if you actually took 10 small bones from a deer, wrapped it around with some leather bindings and thread, you wouldn't really have what we call a Zephyr Deer Bone Helmet, which looks like an undertakers hat.

I suppose if i just took some fabric, some plastic, some cloth straps and some screws, i couldn't really come up with a complete hockey mask either, could i.

Nor could i make an entire bone helmet with 1 flat piece of bone, a single leather strap and one screw.

This game isn't meant to be a tick-for-tack representation of reality. Enough ribcages bound together with leather and a little bit of creativity and some imagination would suffice, i should think, for being considered realistic requirements for making a small container made of bone. Why does it matter if its ever been made in real life?

- I appreciate you idea, seriously, but currently the only thing basketry has is baskets.. Give every other craft or just one craft a bin recipe and you've made an entire craft obsolete. (thought of that? - it is just highlighting a major problem in the idea..)
    Yes i have thought of that. I've thought a lot of new players are being screwed into rerolling over and over again because they find out second hand that the only way they can make it on their own is with this one profession. There should be other ways of making containers, small ones at least. Its preposterous to think the only containers that can be made after the apocalypse are made of grass. Grass armor is supposed to be a viable armor choice, as well. Thats up to being balanced in the future, however, and thats not part of this discussion. Maybe basketry can have the monopoly on large containers, but not all containers.
    - Maybe a cool Raccoon ribcage head piece or chest piece (are raccoons large enough for that?! - Chest piece that is..?)
    - SKULLS! Could go for a container of some sort. (think water pouches or herb pouches ?)
    - But in general, anything where you want to bend bone is out of the question as that would probably just break the bone (admittedly I have no clue how much pressure a bone can take, but seeing a human bone can break from a 1m fall I don't think it is that much pressure.)
    Those are good ideas. I'm sad that of the 4 main creatures they put into the game, only two of them make full sized bone outfits (notwithstanding human bone sets can be made, human bone is incredibly rare to make full suits out of it ). Raccoon bone armor would be a nice idea also, but i assumed the devs had their own reasons for not selecting them for this idea initially.

Skulls would be cool containers for water. Leather would as well. Many people have been asking for leather gourds or some water container.

Bone doesn't need to break to be crafted with. It only needs to be bound securely with other bones. How do you imagine the rest of our bone armor is made while our little hands move back and forth in game?

I have an idea! Not everything has a use at the moment, but might have in the future as it so says on their Feature list or is it their About list.. Either way. There has always been items that had no use in a game, I like it to somehow stay that way.. Keeps you busy/interested..
    Interested in what? Is it not our purpose as players to be the pioneers of this game and give feedback? What are we being kept busy with regarding these useless trinkets, if not to be busy discussing them? This is how we keep busy. This is how we stay interested in things that are useless to us otherwise, while we continue to collect and store them.