Way to kick guides out of IRC...

This may sound self pompous, and if it does, maybe I am . To clarify as I just realized it may not be understood correctly... I mean when guides are afk, I don't mean permanent.

But I get pretty angry when I see new players logging into IRC, and there is 2 or 3 devs, and a guide or two in there as well.

They ask a serious question needing help, on a topic which may or may not be covered in manual or faq and after 15 to 20 minutes they leave, angry and frustrated as it goes unanswered.

Dez does a pretty good job when he isn't busy, Virtus is pretty much going to say I dunno, or sorry not my department. No offense Virtus but it wouldn't hurt you to know a little more outside your role here.

For the guides however there is absolutely 0 f'ing excuse... none, nada. If you are not present, you have to go afk for phone.. just log out of irc.

When I see guides in IRC for 2 or 3 hours, after none have been on all day!!! Then they come in and are just afk, picking their butt etc. It infuriates me, as it conveys a false message that the devs do not care about the community.

In game I don't care, cause I can't see you logged in ignoring newcomers, but irc is different, and I expect, and the community should expect that if a guide is in irc, visible to public, that they be present!!!! There!!, Answering!

I appreciate all the hard work by all the Dev's, and some of the guides, and most of all I appreciate the hard work by some of the players, as most of the time they provide the most help of all, such as Drevar, Freon, Plague, etc etc... just to name a couple.

( Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bucket, but afk guides in irc .. peeves the hell out of me. )

Wow, I couldnt disagree more.
    I give props to the few guides that are there. When they are in IRC whether AFK or not, at least they are showing presence and I PM them sometimes when Im crashed out of game or something, to get an answer which normally doesnt take all that long (When they are in IRC at all).

I think every guide should try to log into IRC as much as they can. If they go AFK and miss some IRC chat, then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Wow, I couldnt disagree more.
    I give props to the few guides that are there. When they are in IRC whether AFK or not, at least they are showing presence and I PM them sometimes when Im crashed out of game or something, to get an answer which normally doesnt take all that long (When they are in IRC at all).

I think every guide should try to log into IRC as much as they can. If they go AFK and miss some IRC chat, then so be it.
    I understand your experience may be different ddt. But what good is "presence" when they are not present. I have had at least half a dozen times I ask in help channel, or a newcomer ask a question in IRC and it goes unanswered in the room unless another person like yourself answers. Like I said dez is pretty good about it when he isn't working, I can't blame him. But with a guide logged in, it is ridiculous that the question go on.. 20, 30, or even 45 minutes without an answer.

Added after 16 minutes:

btw I mean when guides are afk, not permanent... I want guides in IRC.. but I want them to be active, when present, helping players.

As I told you in IRC.
    I would rather have them AFK, then not there at all.
    If you make it harder for guides to get on IRC. Then they will stop logging in as much and maybe even never.
    I'd much rather have them around. Plus sometimes they are "AFK" but really just watching. Or only 1/2 AFK like on the phone.

Nawh, I give ANY guide that logs into IRC major props. The more the better.
    Dina, and Isda are the best at it.

kk then better idea, irc, needs bot which adds... _afk to their name when they are non active after 15 minutes.