Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Solo play what are you looking for?

First let me say im new to MMO's in general so im looking for clarity on what people are actually looking for when they use phrases such as:-

We want to solo/play by themselves.
    We dont want to dependent on others
    Dont introduce skills caps etc as this will hurt solo players and make them leave etc etc

Like i said im new to MMO's and the reason i got into it was the player interaction because thats what i thought it was all about.

Are solo players looking for a fully downloadable version with an offline switch so they can enjoy the world on their own?
    The phrases about them leaving, would that actually hurt the ingame content anyway as u wouldnt know they were there anyway cos they dont want to interact/trade? (ofcourse it would hit the developers financially).
    Or do they only want to solo to a certain amount 95% solo 5% interaction or you would like to play your game and use chat only?

I think ive got a grip of the crafters vs PvP senario, but was looking for a solo players understanding any input would be appreciated so i can understand more.

Xsyon Citizen
    I think mainly solo players can be describes as unaffiliated players, they are not part of any guild or tribe and maybe even want a hut somewhere on a hill as a lone wolf. but could also be living in center of a city as well.

solo players do interact with others for trade, parttake in combat, crafting and such. i don't look at them as people who wants to be left alone, but rather people who wants to be their own man/woman

im no expert since i usually play in a guild but i hope this made some sense

I'm a solo player but was a member (leader) of the biggest tribe before. After the launch I realized that the game is not fun in a group for me. Terraforming is usually not allowed to everyone, same for building. You are very limited what you can do if you always have to ask for permission before doing something. You don't feel needed since there are at least 5 people with the same skills, same recipes, everything is done and crafted before you even log in. The game is much less challenging if you are in a tribe. Actually you have to be more social if you play solo, because you need to trade....in a tribe you just got to the basket full of goods and take what you need.

When the tribe chooses its location I have to deal with it even if I didn't like the spot, but the majority votes for it.
    You have to follow the plans of the tribe even if you don't like or agree with them.

I'm a very social player. I definitely don't want to live alone in the mountains, I want lot of neighbours to play with. When I play I visit my neighbours, I trade with them, go out for hunting together, etc. The only difference is that I want my own spot where I can create whatever I like without the need to get the agreement of other people.

I don't like dramas, problems, quarreling which always occur in a guild.

Well I hope this helps you to understand

ok, was just a bit confusing when looking through other threads, so basically they want their own place and and will interact and trade with others.
    I had the thought they wanted to craft/collect/ everthing themselves with no help and no interaction lol therefore didnt see the point in being online.

yeah solo players suck, they pretty much ruin most MMO's out there because there have to be special mechanics created to allow them to keep on playing solo.

Quote Originally Posted by inhabit View Post
    ok, was just a bit confusing when looking through other threads, so basically they want their own place and and will interact and trade with others.
    I had the thought they wanted to craft/collect/ everthing themselves with no help and no interaction lol therefore didnt see the point in being online.
    I think there are those, but they're not as common as some would have you believe.

In my experience, and from having tried to engage some of them just to better understand, I *think* you'll find many of the alleged hermits do have a couple of friends in game from real life. They're online because they like the game, and they like having that in common with their real life friends/family.

Seems legit to me, personally.

I've chosen to live in a homestead rather than join a tribe. I've had some great offers to join from some really cool folks. I hate turning them down... but much as Jadzia said, there's always issues that crop up in guilds/tribes etc.

If I have the chance to be social while being able to go home to my own place with a cozy fire and be able to have some quiet time, well that's just the best of all worlds to me. I've had very friendly neighbors in the past and was very helpful to them. Those were some of the best times I've had in game, and it doesn't require the loss of my autonomy.

Quote Originally Posted by xyberviri View Post
    yeah solo players suck, they pretty much ruin most MMO's out there because there have to be special mechanics created to allow them to keep on playing solo.
    comments like this show ignorance. ^^

Solo players are the majority in 99% of all MMO's. Always has been and always will be....

To answer the OP.. What do i want out of solo play.

1. Nothing more then what everyone else has, The ability to work on my skills as i see fit and to be able to make /do what i want. (take into mind as being a solo player i have to put in 10X as much effort as someone who "specializes") All of this means i have to do everything myself.. Granted no "solo" player really ever does "EVERYTHING".. I sure as heck don't plan on doing all the skills. But i want the option to be able to.

Remember one thing.. In this game we are talking about a sandbox.. There are no "Raids" there is absolutely no point to this game other then what you as the player (or tribe/clan/group) make for yourselves. Thats the beauty of sandbox open world games. You are free to pick and choose what the hell you want to do.. You are not limited in what you can do.. the only thing that limits your ability to do as you wish is yourself.. (or the occasional clown who wants to kill you :P)

edit.. oh and no solo player ever really plays "Solo".. we interact quite frequently with other people in game. Help others /get help etc. The idea of being solo is for the CHALLENGE.. It takes me as a solo player a hell of a lot more effort to do anything then a group would. A solo player takes pride in accomplishing things by themselves.

I really don't see why all the hate for solo players exist.. We are easy to take on in pvp (no hoards of friends to worry about) we take much much much longer to do anything then a group would.. etc.. Grow up people the solo player has hardly any effect at all on groups.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgar View Post
    comments like this show ignorance. ^^

Solo players are the majority in 99% of all MMO's. Always has been and always will be....

To answer the OP.. What do i want out of solo play.

1. Nothing more then what everyone else has, The ability to work on my skills as i see fit and to be able to make /do what i want. (take into mind as being a solo player i have to put in 10X as much effort as someone who "specializes") All of this means i have to do everything myself.. Granted no "solo" player really ever does "EVERYTHING".. I sure as heck don't plan on doing all the skills. But i want the option to be able to.

Remember one thing.. In this game we are talking about a sandbox.. There are no "Raids" there is absolutely no point to this game other then what you as the player (or tribe/clan/group) make for yourselves. Thats the beauty of sandbox open world games. You are free to pick and choose what the hell you want to do.. You are not limited in what you can do.. the only thing that limits your ability to do as you wish is yourself.. (or the occasional clown who wants to kill you :P)

edit.. oh and no solo player ever really plays "Solo".. we interact quite frequently with other people in game. Help others /get help etc. The idea of being solo is for the CHALLENGE.. It takes me as a solo player a hell of a lot more effort to do anything then a group would. A solo player takes pride in accomplishing things by themselves.

I really don't see why all the hate for solo players exist.. We are easy to take on in pvp (no hoards of friends to worry about) we take much much much longer to do anything then a group would.. etc.. Grow up people the solo player has hardly any effect at all on groups.
    Mind showing me any data that supports this bold statement?

You dont know if there will be raids or not, fact I really hope there is raids. Im expecting PVP raids for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    I'm a solo player but was a member (leader) of the biggest tribe before. After the launch I realized that the game is not fun in a group for me.
    A lot of people will read that you could not manage to lead a tribe from that statement.

Anyway - I think solo players are a viable and popular means of playing an MMO to start with. I like to solo to start and then join a guild later.

Quote Originally Posted by Saorlan View Post
    A lot of people will read that you could not manage to lead a tribe from that statement.
    You think? Could be.
    But then if I think of who those people might be, they'd be the ones that have run around insulting other people's reading comprehension skills on these very forums so... you know, "lots of people" usually need to be taken with a grain of salt, if not dismissed entirely.